LaRue vs. Spuhr

Campy

It's a toss up. Both are great, sturdy & built very well to take all kinds of abuse.

Sent from my iPhone6

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator
I'm going to throw in it is dependant on the rifle and its setup. I don't have a use for QD on a rifle with offset secondary rds or irons.

tact

I like my ADM mounts, which I feel are better than Larue. Unless they changed them over the last few years the Larue seemed to mess up my rails pretty good. I would also use Spuhr, Bobro or even GDI over Larue any day.

SPQR476

MAGPUL
Vendor
Spuhr is Cadillac. Awesome, solid, perfectly machined mounts. For QD, almost everything is ADM now for me, except a few remaining Larue mounts.

Turkishroy

I've used a few Larue mounts and have had great results across the board. Return to zero is phenomenal, and once set up the force felt in seating the lever to the rail stays consistent, meaning the clamping force is the same. If you don't need the qd function, the vfz mount option is cheaper and offers an indexing system to the mount to add repeatability in mounting. Add to that excellent customer service and warranty, as well as being American made.

Spuhr stands out on it's own as being another go to, I however don't have experience with them.

MattJames

Certified Derpologist
Staff member
For a QD mount for a carbine, to have a variety of optics that are swappable and will hold a zero that is good enough for carbine work, Larue is fine.

But, for true long range work, I've moved away from Larue in recent years. I am extremely impressed with American Rifle Co Rings, mounts, and Actions for a long gun. Spuhr is also excellent as well, and the system and adaptability for a lot of guys who need that, as well as the repeatability of precision of those systems (example- Mounting IR laser or range finder on a scope or spotting scope setup that is zeroed in tandem of the scope).

LaRue mounts were designed for carbine optics and accessories like Aimpoints and lights. They have created a usable riflescope mount, but much like all LaRue mounts, they chew up the rail/base. When you repeatedly remove and replace, you can cause damage to the rail/base, and you will have issues with wear on the rail that can affect return-to-zero (RTZ). I like my LaRue mounts for my Aimpoints, but the levers loosen up over time and I have to tighten them regularly. I've had a rifle lose zero due to loosening LaRue lever. I've never had an ADM lever loosen, because their design prohibits it. For a precision shooting, you don't want any possibility of shift.

John McQuay over at 8541 Tactical did a RTZ test with LaRue mounts, as well as with ADM and Bobro. The LaRue had zero shift. The other two didn't.
There is a pretty significant discussion over this issue over on SnipersHide, and one of the many things highlighted was that the LaRue mounts have among the smallest amount of engagement surface on the rail of all competing mounts. One LaRue lever has about 0.5" of engagement surface. One ADM lever has just a hair over 1.25" of engagement surface. A LaRue riflescope mount will then have around 1" of engagement on the lever side, while the ADM will have just over 2.5" of engagment surface. A SPUHR mount has engagement surface along the entire length of the mount.

SPUHR, GDI and Alamo Four Star are regarded as the strongest options on the market with the most engagement surface and best RTZ. Bobro and ADM are also highly regarded.

I realize that LaRue is a highly regarded product, but I am not sold on their scope mounts versus the competition. Add to that the fact that LaRue ditched their LE pricing, and I'm not really inclined to buy any more of their products since ADM offers exceptional products at better prices.

Unobtanium

I am a fan of Bobro and ADM. I have also had pleasant interaction with Mr. Spuhr. All 3 are good people. So is Marko with GDI. Mark LaRue? I find his gear irrelevant due to the other fine options on the market that are not associated with him.