Knife Technique

regdudedrtyjob

Guys-
Knife fighting/technique is not my lane. The most I have ever done with regards to learning how to kill with pointy things was 5 years ago while getting my grey belt for MCMAP. On the FB page, I'm hearing things like "clinch pick" etc, and I want to know what I don't know. School me up!!

Saved rounds- I have a karambit on order to wear on my duty belt. The plan of action for this is weak side, to use in case of a gun grab while at work. Pros/cons? Reputable training venues/instructors? Thanks again.

Bronson

Fury
If you are going to carry a Karambit (especially on duty) seek out Steve Tarani.

He is an SME in curved weapons, and the Karambit in particular.

He has spent decades learning martial arts, been LE, OGA, Instructor for Gunsite and others, helped write policy for edged weapons in LE.

He is the fastest and most proficient man I know.

I don't work for him, just learned a lot from attending his classes.

Tarani is also a good pistol instructor. I think that gets overshadowed by his reputation as a "knife guy". Regretfully, I put off taking any of his firearm classes for that reason, and know I'm not alone there.

kinley

I have personally seen world class training from Jared Wihongi, Romel Tortal, Grand Tuhon Gaje, Felix Valincia, the Dog Brothers, and Doug Marcadia's guys.

Let Google do its magic!

M Atwood

Vendor
On the FB page, I'm hearing things like "clinch pick" etc, and I want to know what I don't know. School me up!!
Just to answer this directly: This is a Clinch Pick, http://store.tripleaughtdesign.com/ShivWorks-Clinch-Pick
Designed by Craig Douglas (aka "southnarc") as a tool for close quarters, to increase advantage, defend the gun, solve problems of accessibility etc. The edge is reversed, so that offending limbs can be hooked and sheared, to clear the body line; And so that thrusts can be, in effect, cycled with an upwards pull on the withdraw, using the muscles of the back to pull and tear (vs. conventional edge orientations which typically rely on pushing motions).
Craig/ShivWorks is highly recommended for training with, particularly on knife stuff.

I vastly prefer this sort of knife (of either edge orientation, or a push dagger... mm, push dagger); Small, fixed blade, and carried forward of the hip. Some explanation of this, more articulate than I can offer, was posted years back by the late Paul Gomex, in this thread: http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/...sitioned-rapidly-accessible-fixed-blade-knife (Hopefully it's not gauche to link another forum here... The article exists nowhere else but forums, as far as I can tell, and as much as I'd like to ask Paul to post it...)

Another article, covering some of the same ground, but from Chris Fry of MDTS: http://www.mdtstraining.com/small-fixed-blades/
And more food for thought from Chris:
http://www.personaldefensenetwork.com/off-centerline-tool-carry/

Chris is another trainer I'd recommend for blades in general. Neither he nor Craig are specific karambit guys, but rather generalists with strong approaches.

My thoughts (just so I'm not doing nothing but posting links):
I think that smaller (sub 4" blade) fixed blade knives are the way to go, particularly carried forward of the hip.
Sheaths should allow a full fighting grip on the knife, from the outset of the drawstroke (just like you'd want in a handgun holster).
Folders are sub-optimal because of manipulation needs; The best you can do is a "Waved" folder, with the Emerson type catch on the spine that deploys the blade as you draw it from the pocket, requiring less fiddlefucking. And even those aren't as reliable or sure as a fixed blade.
Skills wise: Skill will always trump gear, even here. Any knife will do if you'll do.
Knives are a tool for problem solving in asymmetrical kissing distance violence. The idea of "knife fighting", a knife on knife duel, is a fantasy. You'll have a knife, and he'll have whatever, but no one is squaring off and having a knife fight unless they've done every single thing wrong since they put on pants that morning, culminating in agreeing to have a challenge match knife duel. Asymmetrical is the word for good knife skills.
In general, I'd suggest avoiding flashy knife work. Access is the biggest difficulty with a knife: Beware of trainers that do not spend a good amount of time on robust skills for fighting your way to the knife (striking, positional dominance, in fight weapons access). If all they do is start with the knife drawn, they're skipping the actually most difficult part of the fight. Using a knife is brute simple; Look at how the guys who put hurt on people with edges/pointed weapons all the time (cons) do it, and then compare that to the "flavor of the month" instructor in "knife fighting", and beware the overly fancy.
Focus on access: Strong striking and positional dominance skills, leading into strong access and then very direct and brutal application of blade to body, with intent/working to achieve desired goals.

Also, beware (beware, beware) of the very popular idea in "knife fighting" that you can cut particular muscle groups, or target particular parts, and stop someone from attacking by disabling their limbs with such targeted cutting. Called Biomechanical Cutting, and a few other things, the idea is rife with fallacies, despite it's popularity. Having been in EMS off and on for ten years, and worked in environments where I've seen a lot of cut injuries (agriculture, studio art, metal fabrication), there is absolutely no merit to the idea that you can cut someone just right to make them immobile. Not unless you've brought a machete and are taking off limbs. It's a popular idea, and it has absolutely nothing to substantiate it, and lots of evidence to the contrary. Again; The fancier is it, the further away from simple it gets, the more suspect it becomes, with knife combatives.

st33ve0

Some more great stuff to look at for Karambit is Bela Diri Silat:

I totally agree with fixed blades around 4" like posted above by M Atwood, deploying a knife under stress ain't easy...make it easier on yourself.

scottierock

There is a great book out there called Hank Reinhardt's Book of Knives. It is about fighting with a pocket knife. I have trained on swords, tomahawks and big knives, but in all honesty am likely to find myself out and about with a pocket knife or multitool. While a lot of members of P&S are likely armed on a daily basis with something a lot better--I bet y'all also have a small knife on you all the time. Anyway, is great read by a very interesting guy. Enjoy!