Knee Pads

Slim

Jerk Ingredients Off
Staff member
Did a search and didn't come up with anything: Looking for recommendations on knee pads. Upcoming pistol class with a rock filled range and my knees already have enough issues. Budget isn't an issue, I'll ante up for what works.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

treehopr

If just buying knee pads, I've been happy with arcteryx knee caps.

If you can find them and can afford it, go with crye pants (or the tad gear version) with the knee pad inserts.

KUTF

Since your budget is open....

Crye Combat Pants - only option I've used where the knee-pads actually stayed put...

AresGear_Jake

Stiffer Is Better
Vendor
As much as I like the Crye pants, the Arc'teryx kneecaps allow for wear under "normal" pants as well...I don't know if discrete wear of joint protection is important to you, but I've seen it done.

- Jake

Default.mp3

Established
FWIW, I ran a Spartan Race Super with the Arc'teryx kneecaps without it ever sliding out of place; this was on bare knees, as I was wearing shorts. I've also worn them during William Petty's vehicle class, which has a lot of movement, both from point to point and from position to position (urban prone to kneeling to crouching), and they stayed put; they did not stay put quite as well for my friend during the class, as they still slid down on occasion, but he stated that they were still the most stable external kneepads he'd tried.

Slim

Jerk Ingredients Off
Staff member
Awesome, didn't realize arcteryx had pads until last week. Good to know they'd be a viable option for classes. Appreciate the info Gents

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Freedom Forged

My problem with the knee pads that I've tried is I feel like I'm balancing on balls under each knee when I kneel. I'm trying to find the right ones before I have as many knee pads that didn't make the cut as I do holsters....
FF

N

nate89

Another vote for Arc'teryx. I bought a set a couple of years ago and have used them at a few different classes, as well as in practice. They stay in place, don't feel like kneeling on a ball (at least for me), and they also allow you to fully flex at the knees. They are the only 'higher-end' kneepads I have used, so I don't have other experience to compare them too, but I have been satisfied.

I typically use Rehband knee sleeves (made for weightlifting/CrossFit) under whatever pants I'm wearing. They're not hard, so a sharp rock can still get to you, but they're a very good balance of protection, support and comfort.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AresGear_Jake

Stiffer Is Better
Vendor
I typically use Rehband knee sleeves (made for weightlifting/CrossFit) under whatever pants I'm wearing. They're not hard, so a sharp rock can still get to you, but they're a very good balance of protection, support and comfort.

Steve, would those protect against an upright piece of brass? I'm unfamiliar with them.

- Jake

Grizzly

Rack up another vote for Arc'teryx. I've run them in 3 classes and lots of opfor time at DARC. All of which involved kneeling in gravel, dirt and concrete that was covered in expended brass and debris from explosive breaches. So far they've handled it all very well and remain comfortable after hours of wear. They also work well around the house when doing flooring installs and working under the house... you know super high speed honey do stuff.

Steve, would those protect against an upright piece of brass? I'm unfamiliar with them.

- Jake

In my experience, yes. They make them in 5 mm and 7 mm thickness; I use the sevens for lifting and for this purpose on the range. Again, they don't have a hard plastic cap like some others, but they work very well. For reference, I almost never train on concrete or other very hard surface. All of my firearms and combatives training, with few exceptions, is in the dirt.

Keld

Arcteryx kneepads are my favorites as well, they are minimal enough to not bother during long time wear and protect well.
Still have a set of Alta's in my gear box from when I was infantry years ago, but the Arcteryx are better.

Slim

Jerk Ingredients Off
Staff member
2 years on these with a couple classes, occasional work/trail duty and they're still good as new. Super comfortable amd stay in place. Hopefully they continue to hold up with more use

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk