Kinda Odd Question on Concealed Carry when you know you are gonna’ have to remove clothing...

Barry B

Not that way... like going to the doctor, etc. Where you are gonna’ obviously remove concealment garments.

How many people leave the gun in the car, how many don’t care, and people see the gun and you just address it if it comes up???

Me, I wear the gun to my doc’s office, he’s a great guy, and pro 2A, and he doesn’t care that I’m armed. Other places, I typically leave it in the car.

Thanks in advance, I struggle with this and I’m curious if others do.

Barry

Helios

Situations like this are why I've been giving pocket carry a serious look. It's not my favorite method of carry, but it's better than opting out entirely in situations where IWB won't work, but you don't want to go without in the environment you'll be in.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Bawkbird

Amateur
I keep a Ruger LCP II in the car for when I can't IWB carry somewhere. Just slip it in my pocket and no body is the wiser. Great deep concealment option for those situations where you can't print.

Bawkbird

Amateur
In the car....unsecured? A lot of guns we recover where I work start their journey to us in exactly this way.

In a locked glovebox. Not extremely concerned with crime in my area, but have kids that get in and out of my car. Mainly for that reason.

Wake27

It’s rare, but if it happens I’ll leave it in my console vault.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chriscanbreach

Established
So I’ve thought about it and can’t think of a time it’s been an issue I couldn’t find a work around. I carry AIWB with a button up shirt or T-shirt as the cover garment.

At the doctors office I’m generally alone if I’m asked to disrobe and I’ll just wrap my holster in my T-shirt and place it on the chair.

I can see it being more challenging if you wear outside the waist band and use a vest or jacket as a cover garment. In that case I’d excuse myself to the rest room and remove the holster wrapping it in the cover garment.

I’m not sure this helps at all but it’s a good question. I’ve just never been concerned or thought of it.

I don’t trust the lockers at the local water park so that’s one place I don’t carry a firearm. Knives are still good.

Barry B

So, I'm an IWB at appendix guy. My normal question is if I have to remove a shirt (cover garment) IN FRONT OF SOMEONE, so I can't wrap it in what I just took off.

And

Frankly, I'm really not a fan of having the weapon off my person, unbeknownst to anyone, and out of my secure control. That doesn't seem like a good way to go. Esp say if you are oriented (massage) where you can't see either the gun or the person(s) in the room.

I've asked people about this and they say they just say "I have a carry permit" when the people see the gun inside their waistband". I don't want to scare or excite anyone.... so, hence my curiosity on what others do.

Barry

Chriscanbreach

Established
I guess if it wasn’t expected you didn’t want to ask them to leave the room you could just politely inform them you’re armed and don’t want to alarm them. They then have every right to ask you to leave or place the weapon in your vehicle.

AlphaJuliet

Amateur
I keep it in a vehicle vault under and tethered to my driver's seat when I go to non-permissive environments like a doctor's office or my place of employment. Too much hassle otherwise, especially if I'd have to start switching guns and carry methods. I figure that if anything happened it would be the time to improvise and flee the area anyway.

JB1

I had a doctor ask me if I could leave it at home (this is after she saw my badge too), I simply told her that I am required by my employer to be armed when not intoxicated and that I wouldn’t be able to forgive myself if I left it at home and had to watch someone be victimized while knowing I could have done something if I had the right equipment with me. She never brought it up again.

The crazy part is, I googled her before I started using her. She’s mentioned by name in an article for having treated victims in the immediate aftermath of one of the attacks in Europe while she was vacationing. She was the last person I figured would not understand why I was armed.

MrMurphy

JB1, had something similar and had to explain none of their signs meant jack shit and that officers carry anywhere they can legally go in public, period. Nurse was fine with it, but corporate ass covering ...

My primary doc was a reserve cop and EMT in med school and used to rock a vest and his S&W all the time doing so. HIS staff have no issues and a few even ask me advice... :)

Depending on what you carry, there are some holsters that allow tethering to the button in your pant. If you’re carrying something smallish(G43, etc.), you can conceal the entire pistol behind your fly. If you’re just removing a shirt, it’s a good option.

I just inform the doctor that I am off duty LE and I have my gun on me. They don’t care. If I am going to in for a procedure where I’m going to be put under, physical therapy or any other medical situation where I won’t be able to secure the firearm, I use common sense and just leave it home.

Matt0311

I have a small messenger bag that I use for court and stuff like that. When I have a doctor's appointment I just throw the gun in there.

Doctor's office is about the only place I ever possibly disarm. About the only time I go to my Dr. on a regular basis is for getting my back adjusted. In the winter I usually throw it in my jacket pocket which gets left on the seat. During the warmer months where I am only using a tshirt for concealment I usually just take to leaving it in my car. Most the nurses at the office I frequent are married to or family of other cops in my county weirdly enough and I doubt they would have any issue with me carrying anyways regardless of the posted signs.

Seth Thompson

The doctor's office carry (or having blood work done at a lab, or trying on new clothes at a store) scenario is one where a J-frame Smith in a pocket holster shines. No muss, no fuss, no uncomfortable questions. All my other gear stays in my pockets and doesn't become a conversation starter.

The doctor's office carry (or having blood work done at a lab, or trying on new clothes at a store) scenario is one where a J-frame Smith in a pocket holster shines. No muss, no fuss, no uncomfortable questions. All my other gear stays in my pockets and doesn't become a conversation starter.

I need to start bringing my J frame home from work for just this kind of thing, but I really really dislike pocket carry. Maybe its the Mika holster I have or me being a skinny dude that makes it hard I'm not sure.

One thing to remember for those of you, if I'm sitting in a place say a doctors office and a male walks in with a bag you're drawing extra red flags to those paying attention because its generally just slightly out of place IMO. It isn't a place you'll be sitting awhile and need a laptop or generally be doing much work and most dudes don't carry man bags to begin with. Just something to think about.