K9 Unit

Hey guys, I am in the process of becoming a state trooper and I am interested in pursuing a spot on the K9 unit once I have finished my probationary period. I am very familiar with dogs. My wife and I have 3. We also foster dogs with a few different shelter companies. I am not an expert trainer, but I would love to learn. I understand the work it takes to train a dog the basics, and I know that training a police K9 is a whole new ball game but I think I am up for it. My question is what steps would anyone take to become a better candidate for the position? Would I not be ideal because I have dogs at home already? I've heard anything from the dog needs to be crated at all times to the dog is your best friend and acts like a dog at home but once he is at work a switch is flipped and its go time. I am wondering if anyone on here has some advice or input on this. Thanks

jBravo3

I've been a handler for seven years and have worked in LE for almost 20 years. My advice is to focus 100% on being the best cop you can be first and foremost.

Per policy at most respectable agencies, you probably won't even be eligible to apply for a position as a K9 handler until you've put in 3-5 solid years of patrol work and you've proven yourself as a good decision maker, dependable, and, frankly, an above average performer. Focus on being not just a cop, but a great cop, first.

You've got to stay in shape. No need to elaborate here. I hope.

Believe it or not, the fact you've got other dogs could potentially be a detriment. That will depend on you, your agency, head trainer, policies, individual dogs involved, and a host of other variables, but don't expect to get any sort of preference because you've got dogs at home.

Don't assume or take for granted that you'll EVER be assigned to a K9 team or unit. Hopefully you understand that and you're starting a career in LE for other deeper reasons. If K9 is a career goal than great, just don't let it be your driving motivation for pinning on a badge or you will be met with a massive disappointment.

Finally, if you have solid reasons for joining LE, you are committed to maintaining physical fitness standards, and you get out there and establish a good reputation on your department, establish relationships with the guys on the department's K9 unit. Ask to attend training days (voluntarily - on your time). Watch, listen, learn. Ask to attend a decoy school. Lay tracks. Prove that you are committed and that you will put in the work to get a dog. Study K9 case law. Know your department's policies and paperwork related to dog work. There is a lot to it, but like anything else in life and career, you'll get out what you put in.

Living with these dogs at home can sometimes be like having a pet, but understand they are NOT pets. They are arguably one of your department's biggest liabilities and they are serious, expensive, working dogs that generally are trained as a force response option.

If you want a big cuddle buddy, being the dumb half of a K9 team isn't where to look. My current dog gets along with the other dogs, cats, and livestock/farm animals on my place just fine, but he's never permitted to be anywhere other than his kennel if I'm not around. He doesn't wander around my house, sleep in my bed or the couch, or eat anything besides what I give him. Different dogs, policies, laws and circumstances will dictate.

Good luck, hope that helps and I hope I didn't discourage you. There is a lot to it. A lot. It took me a long time to get a dog, but I wanted it bad and even left a plain clothes detective role when a vacancy popped up at my department. I haven't regretted it.

I used to say that being a handler was the most gratifying and fulfilling thing I had done in my career, but now that I'm assisting with firearms and training at my PD, I'd say it's a tie. Ymmv. Again, good luck.

I've been a handler for seven years and have worked in LE for almost 20 years. My advice is to focus 100% on being the best cop you can be first and foremost.

Per policy at most respectable agencies, you probably won't even be eligible to apply for a position as a K9 handler until you've put in 3-5 solid years of patrol work and you've proven yourself as a good decision maker, dependable, and, frankly, an above average performer. Focus on being not just a cop, but a great cop, first.

You've got to stay in shape. No need to elaborate here. I hope.

Believe it or not, the fact you've got other dogs could potentially be a detriment. That will depend on you, your agency, head trainer, policies, individual dogs involved, and a host of other variables, but don't expect to get any sort of preference because you've got dogs at home.

Don't assume or take for granted that you'll EVER be assigned to a K9 team or unit. Hopefully you understand that and you're starting a career in LE for other deeper reasons. If K9 is a career goal than great, just don't let it be your driving motivation for pinning on a badge or you will be met with a massive disappointment.

Finally, if you have solid reasons for joining LE, you are committed to maintaining physical fitness standards, and you get out there and establish a good reputation on your department, establish relationships with the guys on the department's K9 unit. Ask to attend training days (voluntarily - on your time). Watch, listen, learn. Ask to attend a decoy school. Lay tracks. Prove that you are committed and that you will put in the work to get a dog. Study K9 case law. Know your department's policies and paperwork related to dog work. There is a lot to it, but like anything else in life and career, you'll get out what you put in.

Living with these dogs at home can sometimes be like having a pet, but understand they are NOT pets. They are arguably one of your department's biggest liabilities and they are serious, expensive, working dogs that generally are trained as a force response option.

If you want a big cuddle buddy, being the dumb half of a K9 team isn't where to look. My current dog gets along with the other dogs, cats, and livestock/farm animals on my place just fine, but he's never permitted to be anywhere other than his kennel if I'm not around. He doesn't wander around my house, sleep in my bed or the couch, or eat anything besides what I give him. Different dogs, policies, laws and circumstances will dictate.

Good luck, hope that helps and I hope I didn't discourage you. There is a lot to it. A lot. It took me a long time to get a dog, but I wanted it bad and even left a plain clothes detective role when a vacancy popped up at my department. I haven't regretted it.

I used to say that being a handler was the most gratifying and fulfilling thing I had done in my career, but now that I'm assisting with firearms and training at my PD, I'd say it's a tie. Ymmv. Again, good luck.

Thanks for the info. I am no stranger to hard work and dedication. I am looking at k9 as a possibility along with other teams like my states tactical team as it translates best from what I did in the Army. I understand it could take several years to prove to my commander I deserve a shot at either of these specialties and I look forward to proving myself. I appreciate your advice and thanks for your service.

ggammell

Does not pass up an opportunity to criticize P&S.
JBravo nailed it.

Word of caution. Pump the brakes on plans for great things. Get hired first. Remember everyone starts at the bottom. Once your there, then kill it. I’ve seen too many people have plans on a specialty police position and either suck at the basic cop job or get pissed they didn’t get that ONE job they always wanted.

Get hired. Bust your ass in the academy. Soak up info in Field Training. Work hard as a solo officer. Bide your time. It’s not going to be easy. And have a realistic understanding that it may never come. You’ve got to stand grounded.

Dave1371

The guys above are spot on, let me add something as a fellow mil to Leo guy. I also came in with designs on doing certain things because of my experience/training. After being on for a while and learning the job I found my interests shifted. Just be open to things changing as time progresses.