Justin Dyal - Intermediate Pistol Course AAR August 28-29, 2021

rcbusmc

Justin Dyal - Intermediate Pistol Course AAR

August 28-29, 2021

I was afforded the opportunity to train with Justin Dyal again at a small private range near Jacksonville NC with a group of quite good shooters a few weeks ago. I have been remiss in getting the AAR written due to a bunch of stuff going on but would like to encourage anyone who has the opportunity to train with Justin to take it… He has forgotten more about shooting than many of us could ever hope to learn and retain. His methods of instruction are well thought out and very effective, to include a novel one where he showed us how to shoot strong hand with out speaking a word, solely through demonstration. More on this latter.

I have trained with Justin a bunch as I am fortunate to live local to him and to be able to call him a friend, but we had people travel in from multiple states for this two-day class. This class was held in late August and if anyone knows the weather in eastern NC during late August then you know it is miserable outside. The class took all of this into consideration, with provided shade, coolers, moving targetry around so that we could utilize the shade as much as possible… all helped to keep the training going due to the heat.

Justin had several subjects that he covered during the class. These included things such as Modulation, Technical Accuracy, Mobility and Strong hand only shooting. During the discussion on modulation, he used the FAST acronym, which stands for Functional Accuracy at Situational Tempo. We talked about various organizations accuracy standards and what those really meant performance wise and in regards to training to standards. We also discussed the related concepts of accuracy and speed. We worked the three requirements for shooting which include a steady gun, an aiming reference and the trigger. We discussed three different sighting options for both iron sighted guns and dot equipped guns and the three types of trigger presses. These include crash, roll and prep and are very useful to me personally as a relic that still loves to shoot and compete with DA/SA Berettas, but works with all trigger types.

I wish I could post up a bunch of photos from the class, but my computer isn’t playing nice with the download software and my overzealous anti-virus software so I’ll try to come back and post some later. We had a photographer out at the course so there are several hundred different photos available of all the shooters, what we were doing and of course the ever-welcome glamor shots that everyone always loves… Other photos though were able to show the progress that we were making throughout the days as our hits got better, our body positions became more fluid and our grips solidified from Justin’s instruction.

On day two we worked plate racks, along with non-standard positions and a bunch of accuracy stuff from the 25-yard line utilizing spotting scopes and calling our shots with a partner confirming through the scopes to see what we were actually doing. I found the shot calling at 25 very useful for improving my longer distance pistol shooting.

We then worked on strong hand shooting for a while. During this block of training Justin wanted to try a different teaching technique where no one talked, to include him, while he demonstrated what exactly he wanted us to do. We were all game to try it out, and though I wondered how well it would work, I was surprised as by not having to try to listen and watch but merely watch I was able to see the nuance of exactly what Justin wanted us to do, and we all showed much improvement with our strong hand shooting to include several clean plate rack runs at 15 to 20 ish meters at speed.

All in all, this was a very productive two days and I highly recommend any Justin Dyal class that you can attend. They are worth every penny.