Just For Fun Project: “The Apache Pug” - NAA Homage to 19th Century Gangster Knuckleguns

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Email typo unexpectedly put the gun in limbo at the shop in AZ for a bit, should be hearing more soon though

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
I went ahead and ordered a set of checkered rosewood grips with some mother of pearl inlays for this little tenderizer. They should go well with the two-tone CCH frame and stainless steel accents/knuckles:

1656275328937.png
1656275362829.png

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
41CA2875-0385-43BB-9BE0-312FC6534A0A.jpeg

Grips showed up today. I wouldn’t normally comment on it but I’m compelled to mentioned these were beautifully packaged and presented.

0C31542F-0853-4C4D-8DEB-3A8F62AF7BFE.jpeg

They look gorgeous, excellent fit and finish and the inlays feel solid. They’ll be ready to go on the gun once I get it back, which should be any day now…

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
1657060366421.gif

The shop sent me pictures of the completed grip installed on the Pug and it’s absolutely glorious everyone! It should be on the way back to me this week!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
85CC6AD2-31E1-4F04-8E51-7947F15CAAC4.jpeg

That’s weird…Every time I try to post the photo it comes out all dark and grainy…:confused:

Final payment made, it’s shipping today

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
D8A4DF35-6966-4A6D-B2AE-E3806E1458EC.jpeg

For anyone wondering NAA lists the unloaded weight of the stock “The Dude” variant Pug at roughly 6.4 ounces. This is a little chunkier than that. Still will sit in a pocket in my basketball shorts very comfortably without pulling them down though!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
I forgot the best part - This build and project was funded in its entirety down to the last cent by the government! The Pug and custom knuckles were paid for using Trump and Biden stimulus bux :cool: Thank you .gov!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
7FE85E97-B8DB-4E35-9007-D1252369A906.jpeg

Aesthetics aside, the ergonomics on this thing are spot on for my hand size. The finger stalls are perfectly sized for my fingers, all the edges have been rounded and smoothed comfortably - except for the outer edges of the strike face on the knuckles, perfect for helping to tear and lacerate when used kinetically. The grip feels natural and the wood palm swell grips rest perfectly into the palm of my hand. There are no sharp corners of hot spots anywhere the metal contacts my skin.

After a bit of practicing with each hand as well I’ve come to the conclusion that the gun still feels most naturally when held in my right hand, which is my non-dominant side. This is the same as before the modifications when the gun just had the short two-finger grip. It feels much, MUCH better with the ability to firmly grasp the gun and hold on more tightly

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Well I was hoping to get it to the range today but just didn’t have time. Have a slot reserved for tomorrow afternoon though, more pics and shooting video then!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
88E7B3AB-85C5-4E93-B346-957B93C39C9B.jpeg

Got it to the range today for a little less than an hour. Put 80 rounds/16 cylinders of CCI Maxi-Mag and Speer Gold Dot rounds I had left over from back when I first got the revolver and the Speer was all I could find. Not a light strike, failure to fire, stuck case, hitch, glitch, or hiccup of any kind the whole time. The gun barely moves when it goes off, and what little recoil there is gets comfortably absorbed by the hand through the palm brace and stalls of the knuckles. No raw or hot spots to report from shooting that many cylinders all in one go. I am exceedingly pleased with how it performs as a mini revolver.

Now how to test the knuckles…

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
I spoke with Billy about how to go about testing the knuckles, I’ve decided to try his standard frozen ice block test. As soon as the orange juice carton that’s in my fridge is empty, I’ll fill it up with water and freeze it and give it a go. If it can chip away at a large block of ice, it’ll certainly work for more soft-body targets

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
DBA1E919-798D-4600-836E-09B672A56CB3.jpeg

We have a successful knuckles test! Beat up on this block of ice a bit. It wasn’t my intention to go ham or wail on it, as Billy Trident would say “let the tool do the work, that’s why you have the tool”. The important take-always here are the gun held up without a single visible scratch or mark, and more importantly my hand felt absolutely NOTHING with each impact. Switched back and forth connecting with the middle two knuckles and doing some hammerfisting with the bottom stall, and the piece stayed secure in my hand and comfortable the whole time.

Functional Revolver: check
Functional Knuckleduster: check
Badass, one-of-a-kind, Steampunk pocket jewelry: fucking check

DF31F288-04CE-41C7-B638-FAD6A72434C8.jpeg

We’re going to call this one done everyone!

Smith

Haha remind me not to rob you from melee range or distance!

You should do a video where you show up to a USPSA match with your collection of anachronistic weapons and film people's reaction lol

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Haha remind me not to rob you from melee range or distance!

You should do a video where you show up to a USPSA match with your collection of anachronistic weapons and film people's reaction lol

Honestly it might be allowed in a BUG match