Just For Fun Project: “The Apache Pug” - NAA Homage to 19th Century Gangster Knuckleguns

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Don’t get me wrong, if I undertake any kind of project like this I want to make sure it’s built well and works as best as possible - but considering this is more of a fun detour away from my more serious defensive/fighting builds and is likely to spend its entire existence either at a range or in a display case as a quirky conversation piece, I don’t want to get overly complicated and technical (or ridiculously expensive) with it

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Billy’s getting closer to this project with his working partner, should be getting the final design finished up relatively soon. And I’ll be able to make it back to the range in the next week after some unexpected chaos the last couple weeks. More coming soon!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
820008F1-4E84-4588-B45B-7BDA98DFEBFF.jpeg

Finally had a chance to get to the range again today. Most of my focus was on shaking down my completed EVO320 build, but I took breaks occasionally to run several cylinders through the Pug. Purchased some CCI MaxiMag FMJ from the range and fed that through in addition to the Gold Dot JHP for some variety, with no malfunctions to report. The little revolver remains 100% reliable thus far. I still have yet to do a “grab bag” ammo test with four or five different brands/loads mixed together just due to current ammo scarcity, but I get the sense it won’t have any issues regardless of the rounds in the cylinder. More news on the grip expected soon, more updates coming!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Found a neat webpage while doing more research on the Delhaxhe pistol that includes several very good pictures and what appears to be the original patent filing on the design:

delhaxe%20brevet-03.jpg

Just a little more background info on the piece, figured I’d share for anyone interested!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
On a heavy note, plans for another big P320 range day with my brother for 3/20 day get thrown out the window pretty quickly when one has a stroke and brain surgery five days beforehand, so there’s that.

On a lighter note as soon as I get out of this ICU bed between #TrumpBux and #BidenBux this little slide project will have been 100% gubmint funded, so that’s something at least!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.
Glad you're working your way out of the ICU, good luck with your recovery.

Thank you, very much appreciated! To my understanding unless something turns for the worse I’ll be headed home tomorrow morning. Probably be a few weeks of therapy at least before I deem myself safe to do any live-fire shooting again after that, but I’ll definitely keep this thread updated on any mechanical progress with the knuckle grip during that time

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Alright I think it’s time to give a bit more substantial update here about what’s been going on and the status of these project guns. For those of you who aren’t aware, on the morning of March 16th I was hospitalized with a stroke (PSA of the month, don’t crack your neck at home). I received brain surgery on the 17th to allow the tissue to swell and drain normally. I’ve been resting comfortably at home since the morning of the 22nd, with interspersed scheduling of doc and physical/visual therapy appointments. Although it had the potential to be much more severe, I seem to have gotten off lucky with the only lasting results being a bit of double vision and some very slight instability when I walk - both of which I’m assured can be resolved via said therapies.

Moving on from the pity party, how does this effect the gun projects I’ve currently got going? The answer is, quite simply, not much. While it will take some time before I personally feel comfortable with live fire again, it turns out that pistol sights - both red dots and irons - make for some pretty effective visual therapy practice, so I’ll be maintaining my safe dryfire schedule going forward. There are no outstanding components or work to be done on the P320s and the money I set aside for the Pug knuckle grip is unaffected by my medical woes. The maker I’ve contracted to create them is hammering out the design with his business partner and there should be more significant updates in the near future.

In the meantime I’ll continue lurking and engaging on these forums as I have previously. If anyone has any questions or just wants to chat you’re of course always welcome to post here or send me a PM any time. My apologies for the delay in updates over the last few weeks and the slightly off-topic nature of this expository post. I can assure everyone that I, and by direct extension these projects, aren’t going anywhere any time soon!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Vision’s getting better even before starting proper visual therapy. The sights on my pistols (RDS and front sight) now appear to be one, relatively crisp dot as opposed to distinctly two different, very fuzzy points as they were when I first got home. Next range trip is scheduled for my brother’s birthday in two weeks and I plan to attend and shoot then. Early signs are good!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
BE064092-AA2D-4C43-9831-CF2BD5B1D3D9.jpeg

First post-stroke range trip is in the bag and I believe my shooting has not been made significantly worse (or better for that matter) by recent medical issues, so that’s a relief. Shot the P320s and broke up magazines with several cylinders through the party popper. While I don’t view the Pug as an accuracy-oriented gun, I was at least able to hit the paper plate each time with slow-fire weak-hand-only shooting at 3 yards, and that’s good enough for this style of firearm as far as I’m concerned.

338326DF-D807-42F1-8E06-D96FF12EF67F.jpeg

I spoke with Billy about the knuckles, he’s working on a new casting method that his work partner thinks will work better for larger/geometric structures like the attachment method for the grip design. Once he has that down he’ll be able to figure out the best way to manufacture the final piece and we’ll go from there.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
98E64CFF-7124-45F6-BBDB-C95F57F4F40B.jpeg

Went ahead and re-upped on the CCI FMJ while I was doing a round of ammo purchases anyway. I know the momentum behind this project seems to have settled quite a bit but I assure you it’s still at the top of the list, just waiting for movement from the craftsman on the grip to make more serious progress.

As a side note, I believe I figured out a way to make another modern Knucklegun build using one of the Bond Arms derringer pistols as the base, using similar techniques for integrating a functional set of knuckles into the frame of the firearm. Once this is all finished up I may see about setting that in motion as well…

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
There’s movement being made!

Progress being made on Billy’s original single finger NAA knuckler grip which is the precursor to my full-fist version. Time to get excited!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
41C274B9-90E9-4480-972A-FB9306EA6EFF.jpeg

More progress on Billy’s single finger knuckler version, being made in collaboration with Turner CNC. Sounds like the SFK version will be ready for sale in a few weeks, then moving on to my full-fist piece!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
4184BAB9-5076-41AC-8595-C38A53236A50.jpeg

If anybody wants one, the single finger knuckler grip for NAA magnum frame mini revolvers is now available for purchase!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Well crap…After quite a few iterations of trial and error in CAD the knuckle maker and partner have reached the conclusion that a full-first knuckleduster grip isn’t feasible on the NAA revolver frame, at least to their level of satisfaction and comfort to go through with it. Which means at this time this project is unfortunately suspended while I figure out whether to pursue the design with a different maker or cancel it outright

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Check out what Gun Jesus just posted earlier today:

If anyone’s wondering, yes this project is still in the works. I’m currently in discussion with a shop on feasibility and their willingness to give this a shot, and should hopefully come to an agreement soon. Sorry for the delay, but bear with me!

Reactions: 22F

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Alright, an agreement’s been reached to put some knuckles on this little party popper with Wright Armory out of AZ. I’ll be sending the Pug their way this week!