Just For Fun Project: “The Apache Pug” - NAA Homage to 19th Century Gangster Knuckleguns

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
***Note for those with short attention spans: the following is word-heavy. With that said, let’s begin...

Introduction:

For as long as I’ve been into guns and shooting the bulk of my focus has been fairly evenly divided into two distinct categories of interest; The first being cutting edge, state-of-the-art-and-industry, next evolution and even near-future weapon platforms. The second category, arguably diametrically opposed with the first, is that of unique and/or quirky detours from historical firearm development. Those classic antique guns that were oddities of their time have always grabbed my attention, peaked my interest, and invoked a strange obsession appropriate of the strange nature of the guns themselves.

To put it in different terms, I have a particular interest in firearms that could be fairly considered to be of the “Cyberpunk” and “Steampunk” genres, respectively.

As some of you may be aware I’ve spent the last few years dedicating my time and resources towards development of the first category with my Project Nemesis builds, modifying and upgrading the Sig P320 platform with just about every useful modern gadget, gizmo, and design philosophy in an attempt to maximize the mechanical performance potential of a modern duty pistol (to those interested, that thread can be found here: http://primaryandsecondary.com/foru...ing-project-nemesis-p320-roland-special.3790/ ).

E6E74FF3-C1A7-443D-B131-FDEB18859F48.jpeg

After many years, much effort and resources, and a lot of trial and error I’m extremely pleased with the culmination of my efforts which have resulted in a selection of some of the best shooting, most accurate, most broadly capable handguns I’ve ever shot or seen. While I have no allusions to the idea that my P320 shenanigans are or ever will be complete - there will always continue to be excellent new products and parts developed for the platform by the aftermarket that will help squeeze just a bit more performance out of the pistol - I have reached a point where I’m feeling the urge to shift my attention to the second category of interest. It’s now time for me to appreciate something old and odd.

Background: History of the Apache Pistols

(Note: While I’ve done my best to gather and organize the relevant historical context, I must confess I’m no history major and there’s a lot of conflicting information on this topic available to the casual researcher. I can’t vouch for the exact veracity of every claim, but this is the story as I’ve been able to decipher it)

Anyone with even a modicum of interest in historical firearms curiosa will have at one time or another stumbled across the enigmatic “Apache” pistol - an odd amalgamation of a pinfire pepperbox revolver, a small folding dagger, and a brutish looking set of brass knuckles, all rolled into one Transformers-esque package that could be easily slipped into the pocket of a pair of ye olde trousers or smoking jacket.

While many are likely familiar with the pistol in the video above, what many may not know is that this was just one of several variants of combination pistol/knuckleduster weapons (I prefer the term “Knuckleguns” when describing the category as a whole) that were manufactured in the mid to late 1800s.

13672B26-8329-4BD3-B8A1-762407C4969E.jpeg

The most well known variant of these pistols would be the Dolne pistol, named appropriately after Louis Dolne who designed this particular variant. Other examples of Knuckleguns of the same period are the Belgian Delhaxhe combination revolver designed by Joseph Delhaxhe, the Sure Defender, and the True Companion - among other even more obscure examples.

9C3FC848-1D67-44AD-B136-87032ADCB5DA.jpeg
Dolne combination revolver - often referred to as “the” Apache pistol

BEC1BDFF-6DB5-4F2C-9D16-F5409656A967.jpeg
Delhaxhe combination revolver

795B4576-25CB-4A9E-85B7-1F276012ECFE.jpeg
The Sure Defender

8C8961AA-2ADD-4A02-ACDC-8CD6FF94FB66.png
The True Companion

So where did the “Apache” name come from? While not likely used to refer to the family of Knuckleguns at the time of their manufacture or use, the Apache moniker became entangled with the Dolne revolver in particular and Knuckleguns as a whole due to their popularity among and association with members of the Parisian criminal gang “Les Apaches”, a “violent criminal underworld subculture of early 20th-century hooligans, night muggers, street gangs and other criminals,” who themselves acquired the Apache label for allegedly being “as violent and cruel as the American Apache Indians.” I’m sure their parents were very proud.

The Project: Turning a NAA Mini Revolver into a Steampunk Retro-Modern Knucklegun Homage

Finally, to the purpose of this thread! Ever since learning about the history of the Apache Knuckleguns many years ago I’ve wanted to try building one of my own. Recent events conspired and that dream is finally becoming a reality. My project will be based on the popular NAA Pug 22Mag mini revolver, in my case one of the limited-edition “The Dude” models of the Pug, of which only 2,000 were made.

B885F036-7111-4EBF-9547-81BA3A71686B.jpeg

While the Dolne revolver is the most popularly known Knucklegun variant, the intricacies of the folding grip mechanism make it less appealing to me from the viewpoints of cost, complexity, and practicality. Having to stop and reconfigure the weapon, folding/unfolding it in the middle of a deadly confrontation is a dubious manual of arms at best (Full Conceal anyone?). For that reason as well as my own personal preferences, my Knucklegun project will be loosely based on the Delhaxhe revolver variant, with the muzzle of the revolver fixed in the same orientation as the strike face of the impact surface of the knuckles. This affords practical use of the weapon as both a firearm and an impact tool from one universal, unchanging grip.

C7E2CCE9-276D-4593-A182-F64F2336A17B.jpeg

4522CAAA-61E7-484C-B646-EBCE894ECEEE.jpeg

I’ve contacted and commissioned a maker of custom brass knuckles who is also familiar with NAA revolvers and the original Apache Knuckleguns (@billy_trident on Instagram) to design and fabricate a special set of four-finger brass knuckles that will attach to the frame of the Pug like a set of replacement grips, solidly integrating the revolver and the knuckles together. The index finger stall of the knuckles will act as the trigger guard, while the remaining stalls and palm brace will create a much more hand-filling and controllable grip for the revolver, ultimately making it far more shootable than the diminutive stock grip. The extra weight of the knuckles will act to absorb what little recoil there is from the 22Mag rounds, and of course will serve as a venerable close-contact impact weapon if and when the cylinder of the revolver runs dry.

The completed project will not be an exact duplicate of any of the historical Knucklegun variants but will encapsulate the same philosophy of use and spirit of the original designers with a discernibly “Steampunk” twist, and hopefully pay appropriate 21st Century tribute to one of the most curious branches of historical self defense firearms development.

For those who are interested feel free to follow along here, pictures and updates will be added as they happen. Any questions or comments are also always welcome!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Sounds like my poor little Pug is going to be stuck in NICS backlog limbo until this weekend. As soon as I get it home there will be a lot more pics and initial impressions to kick things off here

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Gentlemen, ladies, attack helicopters one and all - WE HAVE A PUG!

2244A4AF-041E-4840-A63E-91B93DD463C7.jpeg

And what a fine specimen of a Pug it is:

E682D2EF-D5D8-4C02-A3D7-7F2B58A308C9.jpeg

B00A8FA0-9251-48DF-BA44-CA176010F7F4.jpeg

Initial inspection indicates a flawless fit and finish as expected. The colors resulting from the case hardening on the frame are a bit muted in indoor/unnatural lighting but sometime tomorrow I’ll wipe it with some Rem oil and take it out into the sunlight to get a better sense of the pattern on the frame.

1A9EC4E8-DEE9-4FFD-B507-AA68F4E50082.jpeg

Looks like I snagged the Dude number 1,701 out of 2,000 made:

34A1018A-7786-4E7C-AF53-5FA1E64C15C1.jpeg

It feels solid in the hand and the hammer/trigger mechanism are some of the smoothest (if a bit heavy) I’ve ever felt on a revolver of any size. To say I’m quite pleased with my first thorough once-over would be an understatement. More once I’m done fondling it a bit more!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
AAEE6C2C-8406-475A-9756-2907C16A2047.jpeg

Broke the Pug down for further inspection this morning. Every part and piece is exquisitely machined and fitted together, and the takedown procedure for removing/installing the cylinder couldn’t be easier.

1E2C48B0-CE9B-46FE-BF15-1013D66696BB.jpeg

A very crude initial mock-up using my Cold Steel Chaos, which is the closest thing I currently own to a set of brass knuckles. Obviously the dimensions are a bit off as it wasn’t designed with the Pug in mind - the custom knuckle grips will much better match the curve of the Pug frame, but at least this is an idea of what it may end up looking like. And just for fun, turned the grip around:

3FE9C0FE-3C45-4CDE-9CC6-DF8AC13C302C.jpeg

Mini revolver trench knife anyone? :p

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
One observation I can make from manipulating the Pug all of last night and nearly constantly since waking up today - I have smallish-medium sized hands and even my hands feel a bit cramped between the stock frame/trigger/hammer for cocking and firing. I can’t imagine how someone with larger hands would be able to comfortably or easily manipulate one of these pocket rockets in stock form.

I’ll certainly be pleased to have the larger grip and greater leverage of the four-finger knuckle once I get it. It won’t be nearly as easily concealable of course, but at only slightly larger than a standard set of brass knuckles it’ll still be perfectly pocketable and much, much more comfortable to manipulate. Thoughts on actually firing it in stock form will likely have to wait for a couple weeks until I’m fully recovered from surgery. By then I should also have the EVO320 back from my gunsmith and I’ll take the whole gang to the range to get some real trigger time in on both new platforms

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Well, I’ve just begun what’s likely to be the most challenging part of this project - finding ammo for it. Went to every online ammo retailer (except CTD, cause screw them) and set in-stock notifications for any reasonably priced 22WMR rounds I could find listed. I’ll make stops at local sporting goods stores this week while running other errands to check them as well but something tells me it’ll be a futile exercise...

tenor.gif

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
E039E3A5-4603-48A6-843A-8A9035A00170.jpeg

The peculiarities of ambidexterity never cease to amaze. After some experimental dryfire and handling it would seem my right hand is the more natural hand for manipulating and shooting the Pug, similar to my right-handed preference for knives. Which is odd considering any time I try to hold my P320s in my right hand it feels like trying to hold a gun with a deformed claw. Somehow my brain is naturally wired to manipulate primary weapons with my left (dominant) hand and backup-sized weapons with my right hand. Curiouser and curiouser...

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
6D880E04-FC6F-4FC7-9071-0AE159F81EF9.jpeg

Score! Snagged some of the good stuff for a decent price. I’ll keep looking for some slightly cheaper range ammo elsewhere but at least I’ve got a start for now

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Went for a short walk around my apartment complex today as part of recovery from my back surgery. Slipped the Pug into the pocket of my windbreaker and barely noticed it was there the entire time. While my P320s will still be pulling day to day EDC duty, I can definitely see this little party popper being a good pocket option for taking the trash out/letting my dog out/going for short walks around the complex.

I should be in good enough condition to make an excursion to the range in the next week or two, so shooting review in stock configuration will be coming soon!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Sounds like Monday will be the inaugural range trip for this party popper. Interested to see how it handles in stock format with the diminutive grip, get a good baseline of comparison for the changes that the knuckle grip will provide. Pictures and video will follow of course!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User

The Pug shoots! About as expected for a 22 rimfire of its size, rolls back in the hand a bit. No ammo or gun related issues to report, though there was a bit of frigid finger-fumbling with the hammer as it was below freezing and windy at the outdoor range. As expected the reload procedure considerably cuts down the rounds-per-minute rate compared to the P320s, but that just means the ammo I have will stretch out for a while longer. Got a good impression of how the gun shoots in stock form now, looking forward to seeing how the knuckles change the dynamics of recoil control

ACA69BF2-4F39-4A47-BF22-5A56710340C5.jpeg

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Second range trip with the Pug tomorrow. Most of my focus will be on shaking down my recently completed P320 project, but I’ll intersperse mags through it with cylinders through the Dude. The Pug is still basically brand new and my compulsive thoroughness still wants to do some reliability testing with it, even if it won’t ever be called into any serious use - It’ll still be nice to know that it could

Diz

This is rather interesting, both as a firearms shooter, and history buff. My only comment would be the length of the stock trigger. When used in conjunction with the "brass knuckles", do you think extending the trigger would make sense? And the 64-dollar question, are ya gonna bob the nose?! The stock grips remind me of my Clinch Pick. So maybe just adding a short blade, sans knuckle buster would make sense? Just stick and click so to speak. Make a new segment under bbl with blade extension. "Gutter snipe" sights would also be cool addition. All sorta depends on how historical vs practical you wanna go.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
This is rather interesting, both as a firearms shooter, and history buff. My only comment would be the length of the stock trigger. When used in conjunction with the "brass knuckles", do you think extending the trigger would make sense? And the 64-dollar question, are ya gonna bob the nose?! The stock grips remind me of my Clinch Pick. So maybe just adding a short blade, sans knuckle buster would make sense? Just stick and click so to speak. Make a new segment under bbl with blade extension. "Gutter snipe" sights would also be cool addition. All sorta depends on how historical vs practical you wanna go.

Excellent questions and thoughts! Per the question re: historical vs practical (vs aesthetic), my goal for this project is not to painstakingly recreate any of the original antique Apache Knuckleguns nor to design the most practical self defense pocket tool - there are far better options for a small concealable self defense weapon these days than a pair of brass knuckles and a micro single-action rimfire revolver. The idea behind this project is to create a modernized interpretation of the historical designs that - while certainly practical to the extent that it remains both a functional firearm and a well-designed pair of brass knuckles - focuses more on the aesthetic/artwork end of the spectrum while still paying mindfulness to the (potential) practical usefulness of the piece. In the interests of not making it too over-complicated to engineer and fabricate, I’ll be abandoning the tertiary folding blade feature of the historical Apaches and focusing exclusively on the melding of the firearm and metal knuckles. In that same vein, I won’t be significantly altering the frame or barrel of the stock Pug - so no bobbed nose or gutter snipe sights are in the cards.

As I mentioned in the lengthy first post, my build will follow the form of the fixed-grip Delhaxhe pistol more than the better known Dolne, which in my view is not only more aesthetically pleasing but more practical to both fabricate and use as opposed to the folding-grip mechanism of the Dolne. I’m attaching (in my shame) the rough sketch that I made for the knuckleduster fabricator to illustrate the general concept and configuration I had in mind when I contacted him to propose the project:

A1D9C881-807B-4DD6-B79B-AAE26F2FB23F.jpeg

I want to stress that this is NOT what the actual knuckle grip is intended to look like, just an overall sense of how I wanted the revolver integrated into the knuckles. The guy I’ve commissioned the actual knuckle grip from has been making a living designing and fabricating brass knuckles for over 30 years and has vastly more knowledge of how to design them with proper ergonomics and safety than I could ever hope to grasp. He’ll be working with his business partner (a Masters degree-holding Mechanical Engineer with expertise in CAD modeling) to design the ergonomics and aesthetics. The finished knuckle piece will be constructed to attach to the frame of the Pug like a replacement set of grips, easily and without permanent modification of the revolver required.

From my rough sketch though you can get a sense of how the trigger will work with the index finger stall of the knuckle - during normal use with the hammer down, the trigger of the Pug remains recessed and shielded by the frame spur and is unobtrusive into the finger stall. Thumb the hammer back to fire, and the trigger pops forward into cocked position ready to be broken by simply squeezing the already acquired grip on the knuckle. In this fashion, it doesn’t make much sense to alter or extend the trigger from the stock piece as it already functions perfectly for how I intend to use it.

Hopefully that all makes sense and answers your questions, feel free to ask anything else that comes to mind and I’ll do my best to answer!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
This should help illustrate what I was referring to regarding the trigger mechanism:

8D839CC9-4947-4A7F-9CD6-E91EB6969C04.jpeg

Hammer down, the trigger is retracted and mostly flush with the frame spur which will line up with the rear of the index finger stall of the knuckle grip.

CDBCE2BE-CC91-4AB0-ACC9-36F23CCCAAE0.jpeg

Hammer cocked, the trigger pops forward and protrudes into what will be the index finger stall of the knuckle. To fire, simply squeeze the knuckle tighter in the hand and the additional pressure from the index finger will naturally break the trigger

Diz

OK I'm tracking with ya now. You are taking a very Italian approach here, in trying to combine function with esthetics. That's pretty cool.

There was a time when weapons were not seen as the devil, and craftsman actually took some time to create working pieces of art. I applaud your efforts Sir.

Don't mean to nit-pick, but could the knuckles be extended and fitted into the dove tail below the bbl without any permanent modifications? That way nothing could jam your trigger finger. And you could safely parry a blade perhaps?

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
It’s technically possible, but that would significantly increase the complexity of the knuckle grip - the stainless piece that fits into the dovetail under the barrel is actually a somewhat complicated multi-part component that allows for removal/retention of the cylinder pin, which has to be removed in order for the cylinder to be reloaded:

D359452F-6E24-4081-A09C-D602776558B5.jpeg

(Not my video, but jump to 1:35 to see the cylinder removal procedure)

The reason my sketch leaves a small gap below it is to allow space for simple use of that function

Reactions: 22F