Issues with hybrid holsters

Blammet

I'm looking for some data/information about the issues with hybrid holsters. I've had some people that have approached me about holsters and every time they start listing off hybrids they saw online and I don't have enough info to say why they should avoid them. I suggest all kydex holsters but they always say it's uncomfortable. Can I get some help here. Thanks in advance

kwilliams

I get that this is a necropost, but I think that beyond the anecdotal information it deserves more discussion.

While I am a sample size of 1, I have been wearing a Comptac MTAC with a G26 for years and years with no problems whatsoever. My usage of it has been in either jeans or dickies work pants with a Maxpedition Liger 1.5" belt. The holster will not retain the pistol when it is not in my pants. However, when wearing a belt, I have had zero issues with retention whether in an office setting, or while crawling through an attic or while working in around and under cars. I have used this holster in a multitude of classes taught by national instructors and the leather in no way is a liability while drawing or reholstering in the trigger guard. The only "degradation" of the holster would be the flap of leather below the kydex. Given that the holster is a slide model to accomodate a variety of 9mm Glock slide lengths and I typically carry a G26, the leather below curls up slightly where over time my legs while seated press it against the muzzle which has only given it more comfort over time.
I use over the belt clips on the holster which again have not provided any issues during the draw or while going about my day. I have them set for the deepest carry possible, the top of the kydex is roughly flush with the top of my belt both in angle and level. I believe this is what has prevented me from having issues with, as Matt has mentioned in modcasts, the short barrel not properly counterbalancing the weight in the grip and allowing the gun to flop over.

As I sit here writing this, I'm wearing a floodlight with a roland special and unless I hike my pants up far beyond what is natural, the area of the holster at the bottom corner below the X300 is pushing uncomfortably into the junction of my leg and abdomen. Additionally, the loops provide no ability to tuck a shirt necessitating a cover garment. Do I love that its a slide holster and that it accomodates a light, absolutely, and its fine when standing, but I need to purchase some of his accessories to see what it will take to tuck it and hopefully remain relatively covert given the somewhat unnatural appearance of the loops and snaps.

Gypsy EDC

I get that this is a necropost, but I think that beyond the anecdotal information it deserves more discussion.

While I am a sample size of 1, I have been wearing a Comptac MTAC with a G26 for years and years with no problems whatsoever. My usage of it has been in either jeans or dickies work pants with a Maxpedition Liger 1.5" belt. The holster will not retain the pistol when it is not in my pants. However, when wearing a belt, I have had zero issues with retention whether in an office setting, or while crawling through an attic or while working in around and under cars. I have used this holster in a multitude of classes taught by national instructors and the leather in no way is a liability while drawing or reholstering in the trigger guard. The only "degradation" of the holster would be the flap of leather below the kydex. Given that the holster is a slide model to accomodate a variety of 9mm Glock slide lengths and I typically carry a G26, the leather below curls up slightly where over time my legs while seated press it against the muzzle which has only given it more comfort over time.
I use over the belt clips on the holster which again have not provided any issues during the draw or while going about my day. I have them set for the deepest carry possible, the top of the kydex is roughly flush with the top of my belt both in angle and level. I believe this is what has prevented me from having issues with, as Matt has mentioned in modcasts, the short barrel not properly counterbalancing the weight in the grip and allowing the gun to flop over.

As I sit here writing this, I'm wearing a floodlight with a roland special and unless I hike my pants up far beyond what is natural, the area of the holster at the bottom corner below the X300 is pushing uncomfortably into the junction of my leg and abdomen. Additionally, the loops provide no ability to tuck a shirt necessitating a cover garment. Do I love that its a slide holster and that it accomodates a light, absolutely, and its fine when standing, but I need to purchase some of his accessories to see what it will take to tuck it and hopefully remain relatively covert given the somewhat unnatural appearance of the loops and snaps.
Some guys swear by the soft loops. I run them on a couple sheaths but personally prefer a single rigid clip on my holsters so there is still ability to articulate with your body.IMG_20190117_140811595-1170x2080.jpgIMG_20190117_140824921-2080x1170.jpg

Gypsy EDC

Due to increasing the overall thickness of the holster or due to rotational or claw interface for pushing the heel of the grip back into your body?
I guess it's one of those "YMMV" things. Get some clips and see what works for you. The claw makes for a pretty big improvement in pulling the butt in tight.

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator
the holster is still unnecessarily think due to the choice of and placement of the clip

Gypsy EDC

Incidentally the thickest point on the holster is the light channel which is necessarily so...

If you want to carry a WML equipped pistol IWB it's going to be big, if you want the ability to tuck in your shirt and or run hard clips it's going to be bigger...
Some companies mold their clip attachment bumpouts into the light channel which does increase the over all thickness.