Issue with Hi-Lux CMR8F (1-8FFP)

I purchased the Hi-Lux CMR8F about 2 months ago from optics planet. It retails for about 750 and i was able to pick it up for 650 with a discount code. I hadn't heard many if any negative comments about their scopes, so i figured id give it a shot since i was in the market for a 1-8 FFP for my new 16in BCM KD4 upper. The optics weight inst bad and the FOV is nice as well. Clarity is about on par with my Viper PST Gen 2 1-6. The illumination however is not even close to daylight bright, not a super big deal for me as the Viper i have is plenty bright. The reticle is different and busy at first but i quickly came to appreciate it especially at ranges from 400-700 yards. Now to the problem, today was my fourth trip to the range with it and the scope was on the rifle for maybe a grand total of 500 rounds. at 1x i thought the glass was a little distorted and figured maybe it was just dirty and i would just wipe it off later. I zoomed in to 8x and discovered that the glass inside the tube was cracked in several spots. Me being the investigative type i wanted to see if the reticle had wondered and if my holds were still good. My holds were good but after about 5 rounds i noticed a little black dot appear in the bottom of the scope. I was able to ascertain that it was a small Philips head screw that had dislodged and was loose inside the tube. The optic hasn't fallen or taken any spills that i am aware of. It has only resided in the ADM mount on top of the BCM upper. I've left a message and sent a contact request to Hi-Lux to try and get the issue resolved and see if their warranty will cover it. Maybe this is a one off or a known problem that i wasn't aware of. I am posting this so that if anyone is thinking of buying this optic to probably look elsewhere if you want your scope to hold up to the recoil of 556

I tried attaching pictures but the files were too large. I will work on resizing them but if any one would like to see them ill happily shoot an email with them in the mean time.

Here are the pictures of the damage

Attachments

• 1x.jpg
    1x.jpg
    676.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 8x.jpg
    8x.jpg
    611.4 KB · Views: 27
  • light crack.jpg
    light crack.jpg
    574.8 KB · Views: 26

Sunshine_Shooter

Established
That sucks. I saw "able to pick it up for 650" and my ears perked up, but I'm glad I kept reading.

I'll stick with my current plan of getting a Vortex PST II 1-6.

It is heavy, that is true. For me it's not as big of a deal. It sits on a 14.5 and the whole set up unloaded is right at 8 pounds. I havent taken a class with it yet so I'll probably have better feed back on the weight once I have one under my belt.

Just an update to this thread. Received the optic back from Hi-Lux on Saturday. They called prior to shipping the optic back and stated that they just had the new batch back from QA/QC and had fixed the issue with the screw. They replaced the optic, it is mounted back up and awaiting its first range trip. If there are any problems i will update accordingly.

Update: optic was zeroed in 10 rds not that this shows any indication of superb quality just a lucky break. No issues with 100 rounds of everything from 55gr to 75gr. Hits out to 450 with ease out of a 14.5. 1x is still not great and the illumination leaves alot to be desired. Glass quality is good and the reticle is relatively intuitive. As the round count increases I'll keep updating.