Is There a Place for Fixed-Power Optics in the Modern Shooting World?

user12358

I see 3 main benefits of an ACOG with RMR combo over an LPVO. First is weight, and ACOG with RMR and mount is around 15 oz IIRC depending on the mount which is lower than the naked weight of almost any LPVO, all of which will require a mount in addition to their standard 17-25 oz weights. The second is length, the ACOG is ~6 inches and mounted very reward on the gun which leave a lot more room in front for a clip on without having to move lasers and pressure switches off the 12 o'clock rail on shorter railed guns. The third is passive head mounted NVG ease of use, an RMR mounted that high is quite easy to shoot with under NODs. Not saying that a LPVO can't be shot passively under head mounted NODs but it is certainly not as easy as a red dot.

Those are the three cherry picked advantages I still see, but I am certainly not advocating against an LPVO and am a firm LPVO believer for day time/white light use.

Matidas

I see 3 main benefits of an ACOG with RMR combo over an LPVO. First is weight, and ACOG with RMR and mount is around 15 oz IIRC depending on the mount which is lower than the naked weight of almost any LPVO, all of which will require a mount in addition to their standard 17-25 oz weights. The second is length, the ACOG is ~6 inches and mounted very reward on the gun which leave a lot more room in front for a clip on without having to move lasers and pressure switches off the 12 o'clock rail on shorter railed guns. The third is passive head mounted NVG ease of use, an RMR mounted that high is quite easy to shoot with under NODs. Not saying that a LPVO can't be shot passively under head mounted NODs but it is certainly not as easy as a red dot.

Those are the three cherry picked advantages I still see, but I am certainly not advocating against an LPVO and am a firm LPVO believer for day time/white light use.
One other benefit that I've experienced using the RMR/Acog combo is the speed at which you can switch from close to distant shooting. Comparing it to both RDS/Magnifiers and LPVO's I've found it to be faster as you only have to move your head slightly to go from 4x to 1x, where as the other two require manipulation in order to make that shift. I did find that it takes some getting used to due to the RMR being heigher up than with traditional co-witness/lower 1/3rd mounts.

Sunshine_Shooter

Established
@user12358 @Matidas It sounds like there is some role for the fixed power optic, as long as it's used in conjunction with an RMR or other small RDS. Do either of you has a use for it w/o the dot? Or does it have to be used in conjunction with a red dot to remain relevant?

JLL2013

The biggest thing I can think of now is cost and the demographic of who you're supplying. If I'm handing carbines to 3rd world troops, I probably want to give them an Aimpoint Comp M2 or an ACOG. I don't need them messing with it and entering a structure on 8x, etc. Even more important considering the reticle values changing on second focal plan optics.

erwos

Amateur
The weight consideration and training aspect are real benefits to most fixed-power optics. However, if really fast transitions to 1x are a thing you need, you can always mount up an RMR-alike with your LPVO, too, so I find that somewhat less compelling of an argument.

I will say that not all LPVOs are made equal, and there are some expensive LPVOs I would NOT choose to use in place of an ACOG or even a reflex sight. Reticle choice (to include focal plane), optical clarity, and true daylight brightness are very real considerations to me. Maximum magnification, in some ways, is actually rather less critical to my decision about which LPVO to use. To use an example, I have a 1-4x with a FFP BDC reticle that's pretty reasonable to use at 4x, but is simply not fast enough to use at 1x due to a lack of brightness and rather thin duplex lines to guide your eye to the center. It's getting replaced as a result - it's just not fit for how I want to use it. Conversely, I have a 1-5x on a 10" SBR that's basically a SFP duplex with an extremely-bright fiber optic aiming point, and it is VERY fast to use at all magnifications - it won't get you out to 600 yards, but it does fine work at 0-300 point blank. Mission drives gear, etc.