Is picatinny dead?

JPitts0117

Simply put is the picatinny rail system becoming obsolete? I love picatinny rail setups, true they are heavy compared to the mlok or key mod systems but I don’t see as many companies pushing pic rails anymore mostly mlok or keymod

user12358

Picatinny is still on the top of every upper receiver and rail worth anything because it is the most robust way of mounting things out of those three. It just is heavier and bulkier than systems that mount using negative space. Lighter and slimmer has just been the market demand but the MK16 might be the turning point for that.

Yondering

To build off what @user12358 said, the picatinny method of attachment is not dead. Quad rails are for sure.

This. Quad rails are dead for sure. But the pic rail system? LOL no, not by a long shot. Look at any flat top AR and most other semi-auto rifles/carbines, as well as scope bases for a lot of precision rifles.

If you're just talking about the 3:00, 6:00, and 9:00 positions on AR handguards - add on pic rail sections are very commonly used. Most people just don't want them integrated into the handguard any more, and would prefer to add them where/as necessary using M-lok or Keymod.

JPitts0117

Guys that’s my bad kinda worded it incorrectly I meant are quad rails dead. I know the vast majority of companies use pic rails on top of the hand guard. I had the dumb when I typed the post I guess

Default.mp3

Established
Picatinny is still on the top of every upper receiver and rail worth anything because it is the most robust way of mounting things out of those three.
Is it though? In the Crane report, the M-LOK impact tests had the flashlight mounts fail at the mount's 1913 juncture, rather than at the M-LOK rail section (Crane attached a rail section to the handguard, then mounted a flashlight to that rail section, to conduct the drop test). Some food for thought.

user12358

Is it though? In the Crane report, the M-LOK impact tests had the flashlight mounts fail at the mount's 1913 juncture, rather than at the M-LOK rail section (Crane attached a rail section to the handguard, then mounted a flashlight to that rail section, to conduct the drop test). Some food for thought.

Picatinny offers a more repeatable zero with less room for error than M-LOK at the cost of weight, bulk, and feel in the opinion of some. The test equipment was failing, not the actual Picatinny shearing or damage to the 1913 rail IIRC so I would hesitate to use that information to reach a conclusion about the robustness of Picatinny. 1913 has more than proven its robustness and zero retention with all manner of optics and lasers over the years, with some methods of attaching to the Picatinny rail being far more effective than others.

Default.mp3

Established
Picatinny offers a more repeatable zero with less room for error than M-LOK at the cost of weight, bulk, and feel in the opinion of some. The test equipment was failing, not the actual Picatinny shearing or damage to the 1913 rail IIRC so I would hesitate to use that information to reach a conclusion about the robustness of Picatinny. 1913 has more than proven its robustness and zero retention with all manner of optics and lasers over the years, with some methods of attaching to the Picatinny rail being far more effective than others.
I would argue that even if the handguard or rail itself isn't damaged, the fact that the mount fails says something about the system itself. For sure, 1913 can't suffer from the slippage issue that M-LOK can, but taken as an entire system, 1913 isn't necessarily a clear winner from a raw strength perspective.

But to the original point, yes, full quad rail handguards aren't really relevant anymore going forward, IMO, which is not to say that they don't work, just that there are better options overall, when you have to include issues like cost and ease of manufacturing. For general issue service rifles, having segments of 1913 at the end of the handguards certainly has some merit, simply due to logistical issues of attachments, but a full-on cheese grater probably isn't needed.