Is .380 a suitable defensive caliber?

JPourciau

Sure, as long as you acknowledge the limitations... Run FMJ ammo for adequate penetration, if you're concerned about that. No, it's not a 9mm, but it makes a 9mm hole and the simple fact is that sometimes a .380 pistol will go places that a 9mm pistol won't.

N

nate89

I have a .380 pocket gun for when a belt mounted holster just won't work. Better than nothing, and it has helped me be armed in places where if my only option was Glock 17 or nothing, it would have been nothing.

Chris Taylor

Random Factor of the K Power
It's better than harsh words and a pointed look.

As a BUG, throw in the pocket for milk gun, or for times when a larger gun is nogo, or for those just just can't handle any more recoil... sure, it can fill the role. But there are better choices for most folks.

JDRemf

Amateur
I maintain that pretty much any caliber "can be" an adequate defensive round, as long as the shooter can make holes where they need to be made to stop a threat.

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator
If you are shooting a moving target, you are only able to control 50% of the incident (if that). How can you guarantee those shots land where you need them to be?

JDRemf

Amateur
I don't think there is any guarantee, ever. Of the factors the shooter is able to control, the most important is training under stress, and in unconventional situations. I don't think caliber specific recommendations are as important as reliability and accuracy, unless we are talking about exceptional circumstances like shooting through barriers.

JDRemf

Amateur
I don't think penetration should be the deciding factor, outside of minimums, but only one of the factors in choosing a self defense caliber. There are plenty of examples of superior penetrating rounds not getting the job done, and "inferior" rounds stopping the threat.
My entire point is that the selection of caliber has less to do with what it is, as opposed to how its used. Yes, any sane person would concede that a more powerful round will cause more damage than a lesser powerful round. I am not about to argue to the contrary. My opinion is more based around the shooters ability than the equipment he carries.

Presscheck Consulting

Gunslinger
Staff member
WARLORD
I carry a .380 all the time. Most of the time it's a BUG. On the occasion that it's my only gun, my only other option would be fighting with a flashlight or maybe a folding knife.

I do not have any illusions about the .380 being in the same league as the 9mm, .40, or .45acp, but if my strong hand is maimed from an enemy's bullet and my shattered G19 slips from my bloody fingers, I'm going for cover and a weak hand draw from my ankle holster. And when I break cover and get back in the fight, that yellow Trijicon HD front dot on my G-42 will be my whole world. I will have seven chances to save my life, and you better bet your ass I'm going to make every one of them count.

Chuck Haggard

Agile/Training and Consulting
Staff member
The .380 is clearly useful for defensive use, or as a BUG, but worthless if one needs a service caliber handgun.

The .380 can get deep enough and be effective enough on unobstructed shots into bad guys, which is the norm for CCW type defense use, but does not have the zap to be able to get through barriers of almost any kind, outside of heavy clothing.

I'm known to wear a G42 at times, but that's my gym shorts gun. I also tend to carry ball ammo if mine, which does indeed penetrate enough in tissue to work well, even if arms get in the way, etc.

JPourciau

Check out the Lehigh Defense Xtreme Penetrator ammunition if you are concerned about penetration. There have been some impressive demonstrations of it online. After function testing it for reliability in my wife's G42, it is what's in the magazine. Granted, I would much prefer my wife carry a 9mm, but I'll accept the compromise of the G42 as better than the alternative of nothing.

Tango Mike

I use a .380 almost daily, as it is the only caliber legally available in my AO. I have seen it go through cars both in training and in anger, almost as easily as other calibers, and I have seen it do its job countless times on the human body. Would I prefer to have legal access to a better round? Sure. Am I worrying that it's going to bounce off bone or clothing when I'm working? Nope.

Grizzly

I carry a .380 all the time. Most of the time it's a BUG. On the occasion that it's my only gun, my only other option would be fighting with a flashlight or maybe a folding knife.

I do not have any illusions about the .380 being in the same league as the 9mm, .40, or .45acp, but if my strong hand is maimed from an enemy's bullet and my shattered G19 slips from my bloody fingers, I'm going for cover and a weak hand draw from my ankle holster. And when I break cover and get back in the fight, that yellow Trijicon HD front dot on my G-42 will be my whole world. I will have seven chances to save my life, and you better bet your ass I'm going to make every one of them count.

With the g43 coming out will you switch over to it for the better 9mm ballistics?

Chuck Haggard

Staff member
Tango Mike, I'm curious what country you are in?

I've seen .380s get into cars and kill people, but they are far less reliable at doing so than service pistols or rifles. One of the last shootings I worked before leaving my old job was a dude that got clipped through a glass store front door, the .380 ball round went though the glass, but only hit the guy hard enough to leave a wound that looked like a close range Sim round hit, one of those bloody looking welts

IkeInTexas

Vendor
VIP
Personally with the very small (and for the most part highly reliable) 9mm options that are now available I really don't see the use of a .380. If I can get a 9mm in basiclaly the same size gun I will take that every day of the week.
Now I never carry anything smaller than a G19 but If I did I'd carry a Shield 9. I think the .380 can be a viable option for some but I see no reason to pick it over a 9mm. The size difference in a relaible 9mm and a reliable .380 will be almost negligible. Go with the 9.

I know this post specifiaclly asks about the ballistic capabilites of the .380 but I think there are very few guns chambered in .380 that I would consider reliable enough to carry. Your milaeage may vary.

I think where the .380 fits is in a BUG type use. I don't consider it good enough to be depended on as a primary but I can defintely understand it being used as a BUG.

At any rate that's my .02. Take it for what it's worth.

Ike

Presscheck Consulting

Gunslinger
Staff member
WARLORD
Yeah I'm going to get a 43 eventually. I'm in no rush, I didn't carry a bug at all before the 42 so .380 is better than no BUG. After the buying craze of the 43 is over, I will grab one with no fanfare.

Chuck Haggard

Staff member
I'm going to do ^that^ as well, however, comma, there are zero options in 9mm that equal the size and weight envelope of guns such as the Ruger LCP. The LCP sized guns have a real and viable purpose IMHO

ScottPM09

As a BUG, okay, not for me, but okay. As an only pistol to carry...I see plenty of *better* options to have for nearly the same size in 9mm. If I am going to place where I wouldn't be able to conceal my regular carry pistol, I probably wont enter that area to begin with. Just my honest opinion.