Ironside Edgeworks Mestiso - Custom Karambit-Pikal Hybrid Combative Knife and Buyer’s Review

rudukai13

Pro Internet User

Demonstrating a solution to a known issue with traditional Pikal-style blades - Range. Most edge-in techniques (reverse or forward grip) don’t allow the user to extend the point or edge of a Pikal knife very far for medium- or long-range use. Not much of a problem when fighting from “the clinch”, but if there’s a way to avoid getting into that position to begin with it would obviously be preferable. Utilizing the double-edged form of the Mestiso, the in-line tip, and manipulations specifically made possible by the inclusion of the finger ring, the useable range of the knife can be extended nearly the full length of the knife itself and allows for your defense to (potentially) begin that much earlier in a confrontation;

FD02CB77-ADA7-4D2A-BE8D-319AB94C6FF6.jpeg

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
741AC617-9741-49F7-B08F-BDE8BBE7E2E3.jpeg

Experimenting with different carry methods and locations. Based on initial impressions carrying on the belt at a downward 45-degree angle at the hip may in fact work even with my AIWB holster, and certainly provides better access than clipped in the pocket

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
F88197BE-20C0-434A-94DB-4A7DD8D11938.jpeg

I believe I’ve settled on this carry position. It conceals well enough, is perfectly comfortable to sit and move (the sheath just swivels up out of the way of my leg), and provides the best access to the ring of the knife. It’s a very natural draw and my index finger can be placed through the ring very inconspicuously if I feel the need to pre-load the draw;

4A05F5EA-2705-4F1F-9DBE-EBC44263690E.jpeg

808D34DD-D462-4BB6-B4A7-5C53EDFC1726.jpeg

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
61E247D4-AACE-4172-98FB-947CDD337C6F.jpeg

While preparing a pork roast for dinner this evening I took the opportunity and did a bit of organic medium testing with the Mestiso. Unfortunately no video this time as it’s difficult to hold the knife, keep the meat still, and hold a camera - but here’s the aftermath. After stabbing, slashing, poking, and slicing, the best way I can describe the way this blade cuts meat is effortlessly devastating. Both edges zipped through the pork with little to no resistance whatsoever;

60EEFB02-8EAC-4C33-B91E-5B01922D6C5F.jpeg

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
I’ve trimmed the fat off of pork chops with my CRKT Heiho and if I didn’t meticulously clean the blade post mayhem it round stain/tarnish the blade pretty badly. Take care of that blade.

Before and after the cut tests I wiped the blade thoroughly with disinfecting napkins and rubbing alcohol, and after cleaning it off at the end rubbed some oil on the blade to keep it from rusting. Gavin includes a very good set of instructions on how to care for the knife with each purchase and I’m definitely making the effort to keep it as nice as possible for as long as possible!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Well, it was bound to happen at some point - I’m in talks with Gavin about getting a second smaller companion blade for the Mestiso. Currently discussing two different possibilities, and Gavin is coming up with sketches for each to get a visual representation to pick which one to go with. Either way it will have the same Tsukamaki handle wrap with carbon fiber fittings and copper liners to aesthetically match the Mestiso. Another masterfully crafted Ironside Edgeworks blade will be mine soon!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
After further discussion with Gavin I think we’ve settled on the second companion blade also being something of a one-off custom, or at least another design not currently offered in his catalog. It will either be a slightly modified version of one of his current designs, or another completely new design. More functional artwork is coming soon :cool:

Redcat

I'm glad I'm not the only one who came to the conclusion of a karambit/pikal hybrid!

Looking forward to seeing your companion blade.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
How long did it take? I've been waiting a year for a stainless Sever I put 50% down on

Unfortunately that’s not unusual, he’s a small shop with a low output to begin with and being based in South Africa further complicates the matter on sourcing materials and shipping - not to mention the chaos that Covid shutdowns piled on. He’s always responded well any time I’ve checked in and asked for an update though, so if you’re wondering about the status of your order I wouldn’t hesitate to email him and ask. Anyone who owns any of his knives will all agree it’s a long wait, but well worth it for the result

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Should be hearing more from Gavin shortly and will have pictures to share soon as well. Unfortunately even once the blade is finished it will be another month or so of just shipping time getting from South Africa all the way over to cold Colorado, so I’ll have to survive on pics for a little while after completion. I’ve been playing with my first IE trainer a lot more lately in anticipation of getting my second functional masterpiece in hand!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Hopefully some pictures this week. Sounds like the current issue is shipping problems out of SA. Hopefully something better to share shortly though!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
I got pictures of the new hotness! It’s even better than I expected and my expectations were quite lofty. Just waiting for permission and I’ll post up what’s been sent

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
C594322E-DA4A-4D42-90F9-6CD5A2343B3A.jpeg

Here’s a picture of the steel without the finished handle while those materials cure. I was also sent a video I’m unfortunately unable to post but it shows the way the blade is ground - the dagger is still double edged, it’s got diagonally opposed chisel grinds or a “double asymmetric” blade profile as Gavin says, coming together to a point at the tip. As it was explained Gavin settled on this design during some preliminary testing to have reinforced edges and a beefier tip for stabbing. His assessment is that the design will penetrate bones without issue. The blade and trainer should be all wrapped up relatively shortly, then it’s just a matter of waiting on shipping. Progress!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
5BB89AE3-264A-4138-BF4B-8251D148422D.jpeg

And now with the finished handle! I can’t honestly think of anything to say beyond that it looks absolutely perfect. In particular the little extra detail of the carbon fiber piece where the blade stems out from the handle, it’s just beautiful. You can also see how this side of the blade has the opposite edge ground. And a somewhat blurry screenshot from the video that shows ho the two edges come together to form the point:

50C13491-DA2C-4FB7-A7A0-FDD04E90270A.jpeg

I’m absolutely ecstatic!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Can’t imbed but here’s a link to a video with more detail on Gavin’s IG account: