IR/NV rifle setups show and tell

Grayman

Established
What do you have for night work and why do you choose that.

I am not HSLD nor do I claim to have such experience. I do not have a NV setup but am looking at venturing down that rabbit hole on my own dime....

I figure there's no better way to decide what route to go than by observing the choices of others. Let's see em

Bourneshooter

Blue Line Sheepdog
Greyman you have seen this if not shot it if I remember correctly.
dbce88e5a993410b825aa7aea18be862.jpg

DBAL with green laser at 12.
Insight WMLX Vis/IR at 3.
DBAL tape switch at 9, Light tape switch on top of 9 rail.
P-Tec Switch Rail forward of IR tape switch at 9.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grayman

Established
Matt

I saw your setup but haven't had the chance to shoot it or check it out under NODs

I am looking at the DBAL PL and thinking it would be a direct replacement for my Uboat on my SBR and allow for full IR functionality.

SonOfLiberty

Amateur
Grayman I think you're going to run into some problems with the switchology using the DBAL PL on your SBR. Depending on how you mount it.

Grayman

Established
SOL I worried about that since it's designed for bottom mounting... I haven't been able to fondle one yet so I can't say for sure how much of an issue it will be or if it will simply require some creative finger work. (Taken out of context that sentence has the potential for interesting reapplication)

I understand that a bright light is the solution for most but I am planning to attend DARC as soon as I save up the dough and I would like to start working on acquiring my low light gear well in advance of such training... I'm looking for the setups guys are actually running so we can have some dialogue on the subject.

Chad H/BC520

Staff member
Grayman, do you have the ability to borrow those items for the DARC class? The reason I say that is it will be likely that you will have more exposure with setups and how they are used at the class, and you have more ability to make an even more informed decision about what you want that way. Especially for such high $ purchases.

Grayman

Established
Chad,

That's an idea I'm just not sure I could borrow gear for long enough to get very comfortable with it before diving into DARC with both feet... I will keep that in mind though.

Tracker6

Here is my setup, posted for whatever educational value that it might have.

Sentinel goggles on an Airframe. I use the Sentinel CR123 battery and the battery box interchangeably.

The PEQ15 (not civvie model) is all tee way out. It is that way because it gives me no IR splash. The mini scout is at the 5 o'clock in a Danger Close mount and is well out of the way. I am currently using a dual tape switch again after trying some other options. I am not completely happy about the tape switch deal but I wasn't happy about the other switches/etc either. image.jpg

thomaspara1

Helmet- MSA TC2002, ARC Rails, Peltor ACH and ARC Adapters, Princeton Tech Light, Norotos Shroud and Mount, PVS-14
Rifle - LMT 10.5", with PEQ15 (Not Civ Model), Surefire X300 with Unity Tactical EXO, Pressure pad on right side.

image7.jpeg

I have the PEQ15 mounted at 12 o'clock, mainly so that I am able to use it with either hand, as well as because this position is the most logical to me. The pressure pad is mounted on the right side of the rail between the PEQ15 and the X300. This position also allows me to activate the PEQ15 with either hand whether I manipulate the rifle left or right handed. The BUIS is ran behind the PEQ15, so that nothing can potentially interfere with the IR flood, or pointer.

image5.jpeg

Front View PEQ.jpg

Point of Impact

Vendor
This is my Helmet.....but I haven't mounted the laser to my rifle yet....

7358315860_fb135584ab_o.jpg

But this is for dispatching critters around the homestead....it has a IR CTC Railmaster....

0d9dda02-fcdd-400b-9de6-69fec132c4f3_zps81952106.jpg

Point of Impact

Vendor
I'm Right eye dominate...and shoulder right side. But I had my last long gun set up with a separate PVS-14 and a AN/PAQ-4C.....and a dual 14 adapter (I made...but it works for me) on my helmet....

8000430625_e83b14b6af_o.jpg

Chappy

LMS Defense
Greyman,

I don't recommend the DBAL PL on rifles. The switching is difficult at best and both the white light and IR illuminator are focused for use at 50M. As you know, lumens are nice, but focus is paramount. We designed the PL to maximize its close range (pistol) usefulness, and this led to a light focus that's less than threashold at rifle engagement ranges.

I wish I had better news on that front. We are close to pushing out an all inclusive product for the rifle, and I'll post some of the first public looks at it here.

Chappy

AT Armor

Vendor
Used with helmet mounted 14. Older setup is the I2, still wringing out the newer PEQ (stupid Class 1 version) and the Keymod setup. Will move one of the pressure switches to the other side to be consistent once I get the new one shaken out. I prefer the geometry on the older setup, but I dont know of a solution that will get the WML higher (10-11 oclock) without interfering with the illuminator. Any suggestions?

image.jpg image.jpg

Tracker6

When it comes to a need for IR, for me, light placement becomes a secondary issue. I mount the PEQ all the way forward like yours, my light is at the 4'oclock, and I use a SF dual switch mounted at the 12, just behind the PEQ.

Once I needed an IR capability, I realized that I was going to pretty much have to commit to a tapes switch for either the light or the PEQ in order to keep my support hand placement somewhat consistent. I am by no means an expert at it but I have had zero issues with it and now prefer the simplicity.

AT Armor

Vendor
Agreed with both points above, and the reason I use a VFG, as it gives me a place to put the (LA5) tape switch that is convenient yet still requires a deliberate movement to activate the laser. I also find that the gun balances better if I can keep the LA-5 more or less directly above the VFG, as it shortens the lever arm of the added weight.

I hate tape switches on white lights, and like Tracker6, I mount my Ultra Scout at 4 o'clock. To activate the light, I wrap my thumb around the grip and hit the tail button.

I had high hopes for the Unity Tactical ATPIAL-compatible light mount, but its reliance on their "hub" mount means that, for me, the light is either too far forward or too far back for me to use comfortably with my VFG/laser placement. I really wish there were more companies designing ATPIAL-compatible mounts for Scout lights, even though it would mean kicking the light body outboard of the rail slightly to clear the illuminator beam (11 o'clock placement).

I can't stand the SF dual switch, to tell the truth...with gloves, the two buttons felt too similar for me to confidently say that I wouldn't hit the WL one accidentally, especially under stress. YMMV. The Insight/L3 SOPMOD one is even worse.

The Unity Tactical was one I had seen as well, and it looked like it may have been a solution. I don't think the fore/aft of the tailcap will be an issue for me personally, looks like I can get it close to where I am now. However I think the Fury will catch quite a bit of the illuminator even with the offset, just as you said with the scout. A legit problem looking for a solution.

aadrian82

Amateur
Here is my setup, posted for whatever educational value that it might have.

Sentinel goggles on an Airframe. I use the Sentinel CR123 battery and the battery box interchangeably.

The PEQ15 (not civvie model) is all tee way out. It is that way because it gives me no IR splash. The mini scout is at the 5 o'clock in a Danger Close mount and is well out of the way. I am currently using a dual tape switch again after trying some other options. I am not completely happy about the tape switch deal but I wasn't happy about the other switches/etc either. View attachment 123

Tracker6, I will have this exact same setup within 2 weeks. Do you find that you need a counterweight for the Sentinels?