IR laser help

JB3

Amateur
I need help with IR devices. My new job issued me a LA-5 and the best of wishes. I have never used IR stuff before so I'm soliciting help.

I am currently running an 11.5 BCM with a KMR rail. I have a Inforce wml at 12 and a fixed DD front sight right behind it. I have a sling mount at 9 as far forward as it will go. Im ok with changing anything on the 12 but would like to leave my sling where it's at. I was going to replace the Inforce with a x300u before I was issued the LA-5. I own several two and three cell Fury's and would like to mount one along side the LA-5. I have a surefire dual tape switch and if I have to use it I imagine I want it at 12 for ambi controls. Tell me about different lights and there placement in conjunction with IR devices and tape switches.

Right now the visible laser has a removable square filter (for lack of better term). At first I didn't like it but shining it across a room creates a large aiming reference which I kinda dig. Whats up with it and whats the "proper" use for it? What other shapes are out there?

I am vaguely aware that the high settings will roast marshmallows and retinas so I have the two blue screw installed. I have no prior IR experience so any tips, including safety, would be great.

TL;DR-
1. Tell me about the LA-5.
2. How do you run your IR devices AND lights?
3. Tell me about the visible laser caps (Square, three dot, etc)
4. Since Im not calling in CAS should I just leave the blue screws in?

Bronson

Fury
Your LA-5 should be mounted further forward. Otherwise you will encounter IR splash back from it impacting front sight and other things you have mounted on the 12. Confirm visually with NODS as part of you PCC/PCI's.

2. When restricted to a 7" rail / 14.5-16" rifle, I typically run a BJET CHUB to extend the white light past the FSB. I have not found a mount yet that allows a white light to be mounted on the rail and still fit under a PEQ-15 ATPIAL / LA-5.

3. Their purpose shines in identifying your laser when multiple lasers are c0-located on an object / person. There are other techniques you can use to accomplish this without hardware solutions however.

VIS Lasers have a myriad of uses; to include an alternate aiming solution ("my Eotech shut off"), signaling device ("cover that door"), and even a tripwire detector for IED/s / early warning setups.

4. Take the blue screws out. More power is Value Added, and really shines when you need to penetrate and illuminate shadows and angles. Just be cognizant of where you're pointing it, which you already should be as its attached to a rifle that launches bullets.