Introducing: Project Nemesis - P320 Roland Special

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Sounds like a 3 gun match to me! Sounds like an open gun, a subsubsubcompact, and.. let's go with carry optic?

Have you had a chance to shoot the green dot? How does it compare to red?

I haven’t shot it yet but I’ve been dryfiring it. It’s BRIGHT, like ridiculously bright. Seems to be a bit crisper and doesn’t react as badly with my astigmatism too. So far I much prefer it over the red dots I’ve used

Smith

Nice I'll have to try it out. I'm wondering about color contrast if you live in a very green place with lots of lawns, trees, and bushes.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Nice I'll have to try it out. I'm wondering about color contrast if you live in a very green place with lots of lawns, trees, and bushes.

I wouldn’t be too concerned, it’s a very vibrant, unnatural shade of green. Unless someone spray painted their lawn or bushes neon green, it won’t get lost in the noise. I’ll try to get a picture today and post it, but this is a good example from a review:

Jump to the 8:30 mark to see a green reticle in the Holosun/Primary Arms 507C X2 ACSS Vulcan, and 11:55 for a green reticle 508T X2. Very nice and easy to pick up, and as the reviewer says in the beginning he prefers green dots because they seem to react less with his astigmatism too, which seems to be a fairly common experience

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
8E1A8296-2A36-4C99-B06D-295AF07FB1FC.jpeg

Got the guns out to the range again after being sick the last few weeks. Just put a few more magazines through the P320, made sure the zero was correct and it’s hitting where I want. No malfunctions or any issues to report either. Gave everything a quick wipe down when I got home but today’s range trip broke 4,000 rounds on the EVO320, so it’ll be getting a more detailed breakdown and cleaning later this week

9435D656-EA32-4E22-8750-87C0E754A64F.jpeg

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
2ACB4C67-3593-40F6-8A63-5DB7B3913E90.jpeg

Well, I was having a pretty good day at the range today. Confirmed the zero on the 508T pretty quickly and was shooting really well for about the first 100 rounds. And then…

7CC4D165-5134-4211-9D04-8B03A512F3A0.jpeg

That is a broken striker safety lock tab. In fact it’s the second one I’ve broken on this gun in 4,000 rounds. I donno what the hell’s going on with this gun but something is causing that little safety tab in particular to just disintegrate inside the slide. Hasn’t happened to any of my brother’s P320s and I’ve never heard of it happening to anyone else.

Tomorrow I’ll put together an email to Sig CS and see what they have to say. I’m reminded of an old saying though - once is never, twice is always…

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
I'm expecting SIG's response to be something to the effect of "your P320 has been modified beyond our comprehension, and is quite notorious in the office. We do not know how to help you."

Honestly I wouldn’t be surprised and really they would be well within their rights to do so, I freely admit I have thoroughly voided the factory warranty on this pistol.

THAT SAID, I haven’t done anywhere near the modifications to specifically the striker assembly or FCU that most even moderately serious competition shooters have done. It’s the stock slide, OEM unmodified striker assembly, and the only modification done to the FCU is an Apex flat-faced trigger kit which was installed by a qualified gunsmith. None of the truly custom modifications I’ve done should have any effect whatsoever on the striker assembly and definitely not the striker safety lock

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
I spoke with Sig CS over the phone. Unsurprisingly given the extent of the modifications there isn’t really anything they can do to evaluate why the problem might be happening, and due to the round count the gun’s out of warranty. They recommended purchasing a replacement striker assembly. They also said it would be about time for the 4-5,000 round detail strip, cleaning, spring replacement, and evaluation. So in addition to the striker assembly I’ll need to buy the replacement springs and whatnot for the service, then take it in to my gunsmith to have the gun detail stripped, cleaned, and re-assembled.

Does anyone have a list of the small parts and springs that are supposed to get replaced at the 4-5,000 round mark?

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Alright according to the list a member posted on another forum the only thing that needs replaced around the 5,000 round mark is the RSA, which was replaced with an aftermarket DPMS kit relatively recently. Probably just going to order a replacement striker assembly and take it to my gunsmith to get detail stripped and cleaned

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
After quite a bit of consideration I’ve reached the decision to start a new chapter of this project using a new pistol as a base for building on, which means my experiments with the P320 platform are coming to a close. I’ll be ordering the new pistol this coming week, and will start a new project thread on it when I have it in my possession.

I’ve ordered a replacement striker assembly for the P320 - once I have that into the gun and have it functional again, the pistol will be going up for sale on consignment at a local store. The 508T and the X300U will get cannibalized for use in the new pistol, but other than those two parts I’ll be starting new with everything

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Aren't Tanfos super gamer USPSA stuff? I've only ever heard them mentioned by Ben Stoeger.

Many of the guns they make including the one I’ve purchased are designed more with competition in mind, particularly IPSC. But to me that just means it’s a fullsize gun that’s been designed to be very accurate, very light recoiling, and very flat shooting - all characteristics I want in a defensive gun

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
C6739586-7632-4308-B3A5-73B60AA400FC.jpeg

I got the replacement striker assembly in and installed in the gun, and it’s back to working again. When the Tanfoglio gets here the 508T and the X300U will be transferred over to it, at which point the Sig chapter of this project will close. Shortly thereafter I’ll be taking the P320 to the same shop that sold both the RS320s and putting it on consignment there

103733D0-E6EA-48BD-9E51-AA9615AFA043.jpeg