Introducing: Project Nemesis - P320 Roland Special

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
719F44BE-20D4-49A8-99EB-BB97577962C9.jpeg

So this is how my Tuesday night is going. Got the call from my gunsmith this afternoon.

CEBDD4EF-3B9D-4A57-94FF-00B89AF46F56.jpeg

B0A0B8B7-96E0-48C6-9265-ED58B208ABD7.jpeg

B4D79A6E-D64B-4664-AB29-E18C1CADDAD6.jpeg

The beast is now complete. New grip, Apex trigger, excellent balance in the hand - Absolute perfection. Range time this weekend

FF4F2037-3A36-4316-AD35-4658F77D469B.jpeg

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Range trip pushed off until tomorrow, busier than expected yesterday and today. Shooting report on the EVO320 forthcoming

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Well crap, range time delayed again until later this week. My apologies, here’s another pic to partially make up for it:

E1236E32-58CD-478E-B2C7-1704E98D0D13.jpeg

rudukai13

Pro Internet User

I FINALLY got some time to get to the range with the EVO320. This was the first shakedown after getting it back in completed form from my gunsmith and it ran flawlessly as intended, never choked once on any of the 124gr NATO rounds. I did also run a handful of standard pressure 115 and 124gr loads through it as an experiment, and as I expected it had some difficulty on the lower pressure rounds - weak ejection on the ones that did eject, and stovepipes about 15% of the time. The RS320s can handle standard pressure ammo with the smaller two-port comps, but with the larger three-port comp on the EVO320 that extra gas pressure really becomes a necessity. I only ever buy 124gr NATO/+P loads in bulk though, so that won’t be an issue. A couple other shooters including a RSO got curious and asked about it and I let them all shoot several rounds as well, each of them commenting on how soft/easy it is to shoot. I’m absolutely thrilled with how this gun has turned out, and all that’s left to do now is to feed it all the ammo I can get my hands on!

BAEDBB31-B1F8-43F3-81C2-C23F8D060EE0.jpeg

Bowman

Staff member
I’ve lurked in this post for some time, and I have to say that this post was partially responsible for me finally building my own. It has been fired for approximately 2500 rounds at this point including running it through a 2-day course with Matt Little. So far it has proven very reliable with zero malfunctions since I got the recoil spring dialed in.

44578ccef57ef247e1ccffe9966e958e.jpg

Grayguns TXG grip module, Grayguns Hybrid trigger, PMM Gen1 Comp, Sig threaded barrel custom fit to the XCarry slide, Romeo1 with steel shroud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Looks great, sounds like it shoots even better! I’ve been thrilled to do my part in spreading the word about what can be done with this platform and it’s always neat seeing what everyone does to their own. I will certainly be continuing into the foreseeable future, recent events notwithstanding!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Alright I think it’s time to give a bit more substantial update here about what’s been going on and the status of these project guns. For those of you who aren’t aware, on the morning of March 16th I was hospitalized with a stroke (PSA of the month, don’t crack your neck at home). I received brain surgery on the 17th to allow the tissue to swell and drain normally. I’ve been resting comfortably at home since the morning of the 22nd, with interspersed scheduling of doc and physical/visual therapy appointments. Although it had the potential to be much more severe, I seem to have gotten off lucky with the only lasting results being a bit of double vision and some very slight instability when I walk - both of which I’m assured can be resolved via said therapies.

Moving on from the pity party, how does this effect the gun projects I’ve currently got going? The answer is, quite simply, not much. While it will take some time before I personally feel comfortable with live fire again, it turns out that pistol sights - both red dots and irons - make for some pretty effective visual therapy practice, so I’ll be maintaining my safe dryfire schedule going forward. There are no outstanding components or work to be done on the P320s and the money I set aside for the Pug knuckle grip is unaffected by my medical woes. The maker I’ve contracted to create them is hammering out the design with his business partner and there should be more significant updates in the near future.

In the meantime I’ll continue lurking and engaging on these forums as I have previously. If anyone has any questions or just wants to chat you’re of course always welcome to post here or send me a PM any time. My apologies for the delay in updates over the last few weeks and the slightly off-topic nature of this expository post. I can assure everyone that I, and by direct extension these projects, aren’t going anywhere any time soon!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Vision’s getting better even before starting proper visual therapy. The sights on my pistols (RDS and front sight) now appear to be one, relatively crisp dot as opposed to distinctly two different, very fuzzy points as they were when I first got home. Next range trip is scheduled for my brother’s birthday in two weeks and I plan to attend and shoot then. Early signs are good!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
2C1526E2-1A8B-4FB4-B55B-DAB4A89DDA95.jpeg

First post-stroke range trip is in the bag and I believe my shooting has not been made significantly worse (or better for that matter) by recent medical issues, so that’s a relief. Put a couple hundred rounds through all three P320s and the party popper just focusing on breath, trigger press, and sights, and I think the results show.

00F36D0A-D386-4DF3-9C30-9E96C9292A14.jpeg

Again no malfunctions to report on the trio, even shooting quite a bit of JHP today. I’m running way too low on NATO FMJ...

Neurovision therapy starts tomorrow so hopefully it just improves from here!

SCSU74

I’ve lurked in this post for some time, and I have to say that this post was partially responsible for me finally building my own. It has been fired for approximately 2500 rounds at this point including running it through a 2-day course with Matt Little. So far it has proven very reliable with zero malfunctions since I got the recoil spring dialed in.

44578ccef57ef247e1ccffe9966e958e.jpg

Grayguns TXG grip module, Grayguns Hybrid trigger, PMM Gen1 Comp, Sig threaded barrel custom fit to the XCarry slide, Romeo1 with steel shroud.

How'd you like Matt's class? He came up for a Staccato demo and training. Hopefully he'll come back in the area, I'd like to attend one of his full classes.

Bowman

Staff member
How'd you like Matt's class? He came up for a Staccato demo and training. Hopefully he'll come back in the area, I'd like to attend one of his full classes.

I enjoyed his class very much. His big thing is teaching you HOW to train, how to organize your own training to maximize your growth and development. I also really like how he categorizes, defines, and then demonstrates the different modes of training:

-Experimentation Drills
-Isolation Drills
-Combination Drills
-Testing

The comped P320 ran flawlessly BTW. It performed very well for me.

SCSU74

I enjoyed his class very much. His big thing is teaching you HOW to train, how to organize your own training to maximize your growth and development. I also really like how he categorizes, defines, and then demonstrates the different modes of training:

-Experimentation Drills
-Isolation Drills
-Combination Drills
-Testing

The comped P320 ran flawlessly BTW. It performed very well for me.

He seemed like a really squared away guy. Going to keep my eyes open, hopefully he comes back in the area.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
916AB42E-D022-4E02-B8DB-89BB0450A1F3.jpeg

No better way to spend a birthday than dirtying some guns at the range and then cleaning them thoroughly at home with family. Still no malfunctions shooting and all optics/lights got fresh batteries and function checks, except the 508T as it’s still relatively new. By next birthday the plan is to get it replaced with a Gen2 since it’ll be time to take it off to change the battery anyway.

It’s now just about two months out from the unexpected stroke in March and I have to note I’m so thankful I’m spending my birthday at the range shooting targets, when I really still ought to be at a rehab center relearning how to walk. I don’t know how I got so lucky when things went bad but I’m definitely not taking any of this for granted going forward!