Introducing: Project Nemesis - P320 Roland Special

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
BAC28247-9C65-41B0-8C3A-367B5A7712A5.jpeg

I’ve reached that point in the build process where it’s time to start accounting for how I’m actually going to carry this monstrosity.

0AA3D019-4FE7-4FE1-9517-DC9E07302F67.jpeg

Oh yeah, I meant it when I said I intended this to be my new EDC gun. Phlster’s the one to make that happen...

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
After quite a bit of consideration, I believe I’ve arrived at the decision to begin the process of converting the pair of RS320s over to the EVO320 spec. I much prefer the frame-mounted RDS setup as well as the heavier metal grip module and it would be helpful to get a jump-start on the funds to both finish building the first EVO320 and begin acquiring components for a duplicate backup gun. Thanks to the nature of the platform, I can keep the FCUs from the RS320s and sell the complete upper and lower assemblies as a kind of RS320 X-Change kit - Buyers will just have to add their FCU and go

62A0DF9E-8198-4FA4-897F-0623D525462B.jpeg

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
On second thought I think I’ll just upgrade the RS320s and give them each an Icarus Precision Tactical Carry aluminum grip with Springer magwells, but otherwise keep them as they are. I’m a bit indecisive sometimes...

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
I’m also fairly certain the EVO320 will get the X-Carry IP swapped out for a Tactical Carry IP grip module at some point in the future. The X-Carry grip is great and it was what was available at the time, but I know from experience with RS320A I significantly prefer the ergonomics of the standard P320 grip modules over the X-Series grips, and the Tactical Carry IP grip has ergonomics more like the standard P320 grip modules. With that in mind I likely won’t spend the time or money having my gunsmith graft the 2011 magwell to the X-Carry grip module and save that money to go towards the future Tactical Carry grip module with Springer magwell

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
If anyone has a line on anywhere that might have some 9mm NATO ammo in stock and would be so nice as to pass a note, I could use some to start trials on the EVO320 with the new barrel/comp/recoil assembly...

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Turns out my brother has a few boxes to spare and he owes me more than a couple hundred rounds. Should be going to the range this Friday to put some rounds through the EVO320 and test the new setup

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
26AE8CA1-6B85-4BC3-8534-EAA9B767B386.jpeg

Got the Floodlight in. As expected the RS320 fit with no issue in stock form - The EVO320...Not so much.

D262E445-24D0-4181-AA01-240AB64E38ED.jpeg

But that was also as expected. I removed the elastic strap to get a rough idea of where the cut lines need to be and it appears it’ll be fairly straightforward. Once clearance for the optic mount is made, I can reconnect the slide side of the holster using the mix of spare hardware I’ve collected.

A8EE57CB-A7A6-4645-A73B-36DFA7EBD665.jpeg

This just might work after all...

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Viewers who are prone to queasiness or those with weak dispositions may want to look away...Now:

679A4297-9384-4DF5-9370-237B4CCDEC60.jpeg

Initial rough cuts to accommodate the optic mount are done (emphasis on rough). I’ll be going over the holster over the next couple days with a file and sandpaper to smooth out the rough edges and sharp corners.

98AF19C4-9511-4425-86B0-ED5C0A576A52.jpeg

But as of today, I have an AIWB holster that holds and retains the EVO320. I may find something a bit more robust than the paracord to join the muzzle end of the holster - I’m thinking a small zip tie would do well for this role - but at this point it’s just smoothing out the details

027297CA-BEB6-4E8F-8AA1-9A9B9C86F9BB.jpeg

NEC_0170

Amateur
You should have drilled a hole where the two cuts intersect - you are going to have a crack propagate thru the material over time as it flexes. If you have a dremel or round file, you can place a large radius at the location to prevent cracking.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
You should have drilled a hole where the two cuts intersect - you are going to have a crack propagate thru the material over time as it flexes. If you have a dremel or round file, you can place a large radius at the location to prevent cracking.

That’s part of the plan for cleaning it up. These initial cut were made to intentionally leave more material that can be removed during finishing work

MojoNixon

Established
If anyone has a line on anywhere that might have some 9mm NATO ammo in stock and would be so nice as to pass a note, I could use some to start trials on the EVO320 with the new barrel/comp/recoil assembly...
Defense Logistics LLC is showing 200 round bricks for $120 I believe.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Those loops are printing more than the gun. Get a set of DCC clips and you're golden.

I was thinking about that myself, but my current plan is to try the soft loops for a bit and then consider changing them.

One issue I’m already seeing is going to be re-holstering without removing the holster from my pants. Since I removed a significant amount of structural support to make clearance for the optic mount, the slide side of the holster collapses a bit under the pressure of my belt when the gun is drawn and it causes the muzzle to get caught up on attempting to re-holster it (all manipulations have been done with an empty gun for the time being for safety). The holster still grabs and holds the X300U more than well enough to retain the gun for carrying though.

During the short time I tried carrying the gun around at home last night I found it to be surprisingly comfortable - Even more so than the RS320 with a spare mag in the T1C Axis sidecar holster.

I love it when a plan comes together :cool:

Last edited:

MojoNixon

Established
Nice. What I see is your left hand to the grip movement appears slow. Work it, brother.
It took me 3 months of work to get my 1,2, & 3 round center mass hits from concealment at 10 yards to 1.50, 1.75, & just a touch under 2.0 seconds.
A little more work got 1 and 2 rounds to 1.25 and 1.50 seconds. I’m still working it to maintain those numbers. Eminently doable.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Nice. What I see is your left hand to the grip movement appears slow. Work it, brother.
It took me 3 months of work to get my 1,2, & 3 round center mass hits from concealment at 10 yards to 1.50, 1.75, & just a touch under 2.0 seconds.
A little more work got 1 and 2 rounds to 1.25 and 1.50 seconds. I’m still working it to maintain those numbers. Eminently doable.

Yeah right now I have a tendency to fumble the grip with my left hand out of the holster a bit, I think because it’s a little differently located than the RS320 was and I don’t have the muscle memory programmed just yet. Just need more practice with the new gun and holster arrangement

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
The current plan is to put the inbound IP Tactical Carry module on RS320A once I get it to see how it handles. Assuming there’s nothing that makes me want to get rid of it (highly unlikely), I’ll then send it out to Springer Precision for fitting and installation of their ESP magwell, like the current polymer Compact modules utilize - I already confirmed with Springer’s head gunsmith that they can install their magwells on the Icarus grip modules the same as the factory polymer units. RS320B will follow suit with the same heavy metal upgrade (in ODG of course), and at some point in the future I’ll swap out the current X-Carry module on the EVO320 for the Tactical Carry+ESP magwell setup (which will be a bit more in-depth since it’ll involve drilling and tapping for the optic mount). That’ll give me ergonomic consistency across all of the platforms.

I’ll also need to convert my four 15-round Compact mags with +2 basepads to 17-round Fullsize mags with the +2 basepads, as the Tactical Carry grip modules won’t accept the Compact magazines. That’s just a matter of buying four more 17-round magazines and swapping the factory plastic basepads for the +2 extensions I already own though. The ESP magwells and +2 extension combination gives me a nearly flush-fit that leads to less printing and easier concealment, even with the slightly longer Fullsize grip length of the Tactical Carry grip module. That will leave me with mag options with 19, 23, and 27-round capacities, all of which will be compatible with all three guns.

I also finally have some 9mm NATO FMJ, just need to carve out the time to go to the range and test out the new barrel/comp/DPM recoil system in the EVO320. That should happen at some point this week.

I have all my next steps roadmapped, now it’s just a matter of money, effort, and time spent waiting on parts shipping and gunsmithing...The waiting is the worst part