Introducing: Project Nemesis - P320 Roland Special

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
370C0D83-1853-4D6C-B43F-39193F06DD71.jpeg

I became a proud P320 uncle today when my brother picked up his new M18! He’s already got a Romeo1Pro, X300U, Phlster Floodlight IWB/OWB holsters, and Phlster Arc switches on the way for it at my recommendation. He’s pretty happy with it so far - We’ll be going for some family range time soon once he gets all the extras delivered and installed. It’s a pretty nice gun, I’m already thinking about what I’d do to one if I purchased one for myself...

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
What lead your brother to the M18 specifically? Seems like most of the people I know who get the M18 bought it over other P320s because of the thumb safety.

That’s precisely why he went with the M18 specifically. He said he wanted something roughly the same dimensions as his FNX9 (~4” barrel, 17-round mags), optics-ready, and preferred a thumb safety. I showed him pictures of the M18 and explained some of the features, and that was all it took. I gave him the arguments for and against the thumb safety as objectively as possible, but he said he’d be more likely to feel comfortable carrying it more often with the thumb safety than without so I decided not to twist his arm too much. He’s familiar with 1911s and employed the safety on his FNX9 fairly regularly, so I’m not too worried about it being an obstacle to his learning to shoot the M18 well

pilgrim

What lead your brother to the M18 specifically? Seems like most of the people I know who get the M18 bought it over other P320s because of the thumb safety.

As an unrepentant 1911/2011 guy, I like the safety simply because it gives me a place to put my thumb that won’t ride the slide release.

Like the M18 overall.

I’m not liking the shape of the trigger. Or the fact that it shoots 2 inches to the left at seven yards. The latter problem needs to be fixed as soon as possible.

MojoNixon

Established
View attachment 6240

Happy 3/20 day from snowy Colorado! Double happy sticks loaded up today cause there’s nowhere to go anyway due to the snow and Coronavirus. Oh well, time for dryfire practice!
Snow doesn’t stop Nevadans from getting out to shoot. Did my first CCW Qualification shoot in 4” of snow and 30 degrees. We just got 4+” 2 days ago and if my new Savage gets processed thru my FFL, I’m out tomorrow to break it in. ;)

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
827B645C-9934-452F-96DE-C90AD5964171.jpeg

My brother got in most of the extras he purchased for his M18, just waiting on Optics Planet for the R1P and he’ll be all set

Stanislao

Rather off topic, but how's the retention on the OWB floodlight? I'm a bit... apprehensive about having anything without a latch and strap being out in the open.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Rather off topic, but how's the retention on the OWB floodlight? I'm a bit... apprehensive about having anything without a latch and strap being out in the open.

Not off topic at all! I haven’t been able to put my hands on the Floodlight yet, my brother just received them yesterday. I should have a chance to do so soon though and will update with my thoughts once I get some personal hands-on experience with it. I wouldn’t expect the retention to be anywhere near a Safariland or similar active retention system though, as both the OWB and IWB Floodlights are adjustable passive retention designs

SmElly

@rudukai13
I've been following your project for some time and have been meaning to ask:
Why the 320? What have you found that it offers that other polymer striker fired guns don't?

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
@rudukai13
I've been following your project for some time and have been meaning to ask:
Why the 320? What have you found that it offers that other polymer striker fired guns don't?

There were two main reasons - Modularity and adoption in the MHS trial.

Originally when I was looking for a gun to base a non-Glock RS build on, I was fairly determined to use a metal-framed hammer-fired pistol as the starting point as that’s what I’d had the most experience with before and was more comfortable with. Polymer duty guns were certainly neat, the P320 had been on the market for a few years and the modular nature and easy customization afforded by the FCU was enticing, but there was just something holding me back from investing in one.

When the P320 won the MHS trial, that was the catalyst I needed to feel confident going in on the platform. Not because I’m the kind of shooter who must have all of the same equipment that our military has (nothing against those who do feel that way, of course), but because I knew it meant that factory support for the pistol would be guarantied well into the future, and I predicted that aftermarket support would grow exponentially for the platform (and it has).

The modularity of the FCU construction has indeed turned out to be a benefit that I’ve taken advantage of. The first iteration of the RS320 utilized the X-Carry grip module and X-Series magwell, but when I found that the standard Compact grip module with the Springer Precision magwell was a much better ergonomic fit for my hands - as well as concealing much better for carry - it was an easy and inexpensive change to make. Had I been using any other pistol platform, if I wanted to change from a fullsize grip to a compact grip I would’ve had to sell the serialized firearm at a loss and buy a completely different one. The P320 as a platform just lends itself very well to trial-and-error in modification, which was always my intent from the very beginning

Stanislao

Pretty sure that the MHS victory saved the platform from being a neat Forgotten Weapons episode and instead produced a thriving aftermarket. We're all happy about that, and will be for at least a decade more.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Pretty sure that the MHS victory saved the platform from being a neat Forgotten Weapons episode and instead produced a thriving aftermarket. We're all happy about that, and will be for at least a decade more.

I’m not sure losing would’ve killed off the platform, the other manufacturers that entered various pistols have seen moderate success at least on the public market - The G19X/G45 is definitely a hit, S&W made some significant improvements to the M&P line with the 2.0 update, and Beretta and FNH have seen some reasonable sales numbers from the M9A3/APX and 509 respectively.

It does seem though that the growth in aftermarket support for the P320 really took off when it was adopted, and I think that’s a market reaction to the same sentiment that pushed me to purchase one - Knowing it would be around for a while and that it would see a boost in popularity due to adoption.

All I can say for certain is I’m very satisfied with my experiences and experiments with the guns, and I have plenty more ideas for variations that can be done to it as a blank canvass starting point. It’s definitely a good pistol for those of us who like to tinker and personalize while maintaining a minimum standard of reliability, and at the end of the day that’s what I was after

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
After a bit of consideration and studying what’s currently available on the market, I’ve decided to go a slightly different direction with the barrel and comp setup on the EVO320 project. Movement on that should be happening in the next week - More soon...

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
B8864370-7CF5-4F3A-8699-C1E166FD9285.jpeg

The EVO320 is comped, thanks to a new threaded barrel and compensator from Killer Innovations. Let’s get this out of the way - aesthetically the compensator will be...Polarizing at best. I didn’t particularly like the visual design much when I ordered it myself.

What I did like was the unique construction that allows for tool-less disassembly and re-installation (after initial setup) that will allow me to completely remove the barrel from the slide for cleaning. The permanent comps on the RS320s don’t make cleaning a nightmare, but it’s certainly a bit more of a hassle. Having a compensator that I can take off and put back on without tools, that doesn’t have to be timed or loctited each time was worth the questionable aesthetics to me (my general rule of thumb is “function over form, but form where possible”).

4FEA27E1-130A-4382-BA38-293E14595AB9.jpeg

That said, after getting the comp and barrel installed and mocking up the optic mount to finally see the overall picture, the intricate compensator combined with the machined grip module and frame-mounted optic is giving the EVO320 a bit of a cyberpunk vibe in the aesthetics department - and I must admit, I kind of like that;

BBE49ADC-B7B5-4417-A185-C83E383B4687.jpeg

Now I just need my gunsmith to get out from under the shelter-in-place order to drill and tap the frame for the optic mount, and the EVO320 will be functional