Introducing: Project Nemesis - P320 Roland Special

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
5050EB26-E4F4-4687-AF00-09090FE3446E.jpeg

RS320B is in the hands of my ‘smith and will be ready to go within the week. Got to run another ~400 rounds through RS320A, working from my OWB belt rig running 1-slide lock reload-2, retention reload, and WML activation drills. That brings the round count on RS320A to roughly 5,100 rounds, and I’m still extremely very pleased with the performance of the gun. Since I hadn’t gone shooting since April my groups were a little loose to start, but once I calmed down a bit and slowed down for a little while everything came back and my groups tightened back up.

A gun hand covered in blisters means it was a damn good day!

7ACB86E1-7C06-42EC-98E7-6AFEFA29F398.jpeg

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
D2A4C590-E985-4902-B71E-704D6A676E61.jpeg

And with the final components installed into the second pistol, the long saga of the RS320 twins is now complete. Two mechanically identical, state-of-the-art-and-industry tools built to my personal specifications and preferences. Going forward RS320A will be my designated CCW pistol, while RS320B ticks up the round count in practice on the range. It’s been a lot of time, effort, and money invested, and I’m extremely satisfied with the results of this particular experiment with the P320 platform.

Never one to stay satisfied for long though, my focus now shifts to the construction of the EVO320 project - And seeing just how far outside the box of conventional wisdom this platform can be pushed to gain even more of an edge...Lots more to come in 2020!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
5BA6CCAE-4CD3-441F-84D9-84A086500BF7.jpeg

Snowed in here in Colorado today, so decided to spend some time doing dryfire and access drills with some of my regular EDC tools. While the Fox and Spyderco knives are very nice and well-made, messing with them is only making me itch to get my hands on the in-transit custom fixed blade I have on order...

Reactions: MOT

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
So where’s the blue plastic RS320 dummy blaster Rudukai13?

If I could find someone to make a decent version of one for a reasonable price I probably would. Having the functional duplicate as a dedicated dryfire/range/back-up gun though is a very reassuring thing. Not cheap and took some time, but I think it will have been a worthwhile investment in the long run

Last edited:

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
HA! After a couple years of letting him shoot my guns at the range and subtly lobbying him to buy a P320, my brother broke down and bought a M18 to replace his FNX9 tonight - and a R1P to go with it! My favorite pastime continues!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Wilson Combat frame for that M18 perhaps?

I’ll certainly be presenting him options for it. He’s always been a bit more resistant though to modifying his guns than I am. I’ll probably let him shoot it for a while, then start throwing the loaded questions at him; “So, what do you not like about it? Anything you’d want changed?” and see where that goes

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
According to tracking the ACE320 grip module should be delivered sometime today!

As a side note, on the request of a member on another forum today I tried a couple different magazine configurations. If anyone else is curious, using an OEM Sig 15-round tube with a +5 extension and Grams Engineering 11-coil spring and follower will result in a 21-round capacity magazine in a nice, relatively compact package that functions just as well as the 23- and 27-round mags I use regularly

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Alright, here we go! Initial impressions on the ACE320 grip module:

52DE0173-26A4-49C2-9C85-DD93C1FBAD40.jpeg

C172888C-CD9F-4F5C-A9A0-E05658E7AE82.jpeg

DD659479-585C-42C7-AB5A-CC092B24DB26.jpeg

The module is very well made and finished with no visible machine marks on the outer surfaces. The weight compared to the stock X-Carry grip module is immediately noticeable, it feels like it weighs about the same as an X-Carry grip + a full magazine.

2A8F7AFA-20D8-4292-AAAD-9E61DBB460C0.jpeg

76B60090-0C97-4011-B1C9-9EC00A829466.jpeg

The tolerances are quite tight but not unreasonably - It takes a bit more effort to get the FCU fully seated and the takedown lever is tighter to insert and manipulate. Everything installs in a very reassuringly sturdy manner.

F56831D4-B8AA-4A09-8BE3-CCA1FFEAC676.jpeg

When holding the grip, a few things become immediately apparent. The texture is grippy enough, but unfortunately no more so than the standard polymer grip module (it’s certainly no 2011 micropocket grip texture). If you’re looking at using this grip module for a competition pistol and want maximum grippyness, I’d recommend buying the Blank version that comes with a completely smooth grip and allows you to either machine or laser-engrave your own texture, or provides for a perfect blank surface to apply grip tape or silicone carbide. The rear beavertail area is slightly thinner on the ACE320 grip than the X-Carry, but not as much as I’d personally prefer. Those with larger hands who like the bulk of Sig’s X-Five and X-Carry grips over the standard grip modules will still appreciate the profile of the ACE320.

A1BC16E2-0650-4F39-AD27-675D49270FE8.jpeg

Magazines are a tiny bit sticky going in and out of the grip, which I imagine is at least partially due to the cerakote finish and should improve with use (same thing happened with my Black Multicam cerakoted X-Carry grip when it was new). That said, all of my magazines seat easily, drop free even when empty, and lock the slide open on empty as they should.

54EE7740-EF79-4D8C-BEBD-FC591A89924B.jpeg

Some quick things I like;

- Quality, tolerances, fit/finish, and function are all on point. Everything fits and works as it should in my preliminary manipulations.

- Ergonomics marginally improved over the Sig X-Carry grip.

- Extra weight. Gives the pistol an overall more substantial and high-quality feeling in the hand, and will help to absorb recoil when shooting.

- More specific to my purposes, but the dustcover area seems to be more than substantial enough and within proper dimensions for installing an optic mount for a non-reciprocating red dot.

Some things I don’t like or wish they would have included (much of this is subjective);

- Carry proportions. Every aftermarket company producing or developing a grip module for the platform seems to think the Carry variant is the only one on the market. Hopefully true Fullsize and Compact variants will be in development at some point in the future.

- Ergonomics could be further improved over the X-Carry with an even thinner beavertail area, better grip texture, etc.

- No provision for mounting Sig’s X-Series magwell. I’m not sure why this wasn’t included, one of their earlier prototypes did include this feature and considering it’s as easy as machining two small slots and a screw hole in the bottom of the grip module, it’d be an easy added value.

Overall, I’m extremely pleased with this as a first iteration. I’m very excited to see what Icarus Precision does with future improvements as they receive more customer feedback. I should have time to get shooting impressions very soon and will make sure to update everyone further with more use.

7D68698D-9D0B-4BE9-B162-187E515230A7.jpeg

If anyone has any specific questions or requests for pictures that aren’t covered here, feel free to post a request and I’ll do what I can to satisfy your curiosity!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
After spending a while watching tv last night and inserting/ejecting an empty mag in the ACE320 module, whatever initial stickiness that was there at first is no longer present. I believe there was just a bit too much friction between the magazine and the grip due to the cerakote, but after a few dozen cycles of inserting and ejecting the magazine those friction points have smoothed out and not only do the magazines drop free, they pop out with authority as with a standard polymer grip module

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
7DF49BA2-FC32-4351-BC66-3E90C28279B8.jpeg

A head-to-head shooting comparison of RS320B and the modified EVO-RS320 will be happening this week. I’m interested to see how the Icarus Precision grip changes the shooting experience on similar setups...