Introducing: Project Nemesis - P320 Roland Special

MOT

Right on. I figured you’d already considered it and that it’s either not enough flex to matter or that it returns the zero consistently. I have about one or two mags through a 320 that didn’t belong to me, so practically no experience there. I just knew about the glock frames being flexible. Are you goin to try getting a light and holster for it somehow?

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Right on. I figured you’d already considered it and that it’s either not enough flex to matter or that it returns the zero consistently. I have about one or two mags through a 320 that didn’t belong to me, so practically no experience there. I just knew about the glock frames being flexible. Are you goin to try getting a light and holster for it somehow?

Provision for mounting a light was something I discussed with Carver, that just depends on what he's able to figure out.

As for a holster, I suppose I could find someone to make a custom mold at some point but this was really more intended as a nightstand gun/range toy than a carry gun. The RS320 works very well for carry.

I have been shopping around some other ideas for aftermarket components for the platform to other third-party manufacturers. If anyone bites on anything I'll be sure to relate it here as well

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Sounds like my gunsmith will be able to get the work done on the RS320 faster than expected as well, so should have that back in my hands in about a week!

Reactions: MOT

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Damn, in-stock mixup from the seller means I'll have to wait about an extra week before my Christmas present to myself gets shipped to my FFL...

The worst part of gun projects is waiting on shipments

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
i think I still have about 2,000 rounds stockpiled waiting to be shot when the RS320 is back from my gunsmith...It'll have to be soon as I'm taking a class with it on Tuesday

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
I have a running tally of about seven different shipping notifications for parts currently in-transit...Christmas is coming early this year

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
IMG_3181.JPG

Just back from the range and the training class I took. Picked up the RS320 from my gunsmith right before the class. I'll need to do a bit more shooting to get a more thorough overview of the new trigger (class was mostly lecture, 50 round shooting portion), but initial impressions are good. Pull weight feels about the same as before which was what I was hoping, but pre-travel is nearly entirely removed and the overall trigger travel is noticeably shorter as well

MojoNixon

Established
View attachment 3097

Just back from the range and the training class I took. Picked up the RS320 from my gunsmith right before the class. I'll need to do a bit more shooting to get a more thorough overview of the new trigger (class was mostly lecture, 50 round shooting portion), but initial impressions are good. Pull weight feels about the same as before which was what I was hoping, but pre-travel is nearly entirely removed and the overall trigger travel is noticeably shorter as well
Nice. Have your former magwell issues disappeared?

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Nice. Have your former magwell issues disappeared?

Referring to the issue of it slipping off the grip while firing? Yes, but because this is a different magwell. That original one was the ANR Designs ANVL magwell, which was advertised as a "no permanent modification required" attachment. I couldn't get it to stay on. This current magwell is the Springer Precision ESP magwell, which is attached by sending them one of your grip modules (works on Fullsize and Compact grip modules alike) and which is permanently affixed via epoxy. It hasn't budged since I first received it back from Springer.

Speaking of the magwell/grip - I must admit, in the weeks since the RS320 had been at my 'smith I had forgotten just how well the Compact grip module with ESP magwell marries the pistol to my hand. It's like the damn thing was sculpted specifically for my fingers

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
IMG_3199.JPG

I don't understand why people continue to follow this thread, there's still nothing of interest to see here...

(Mostly cause it still hasn't shipped yet grumble grumble...)

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Further thoughts on the Apex trigger kit - It is as advertised. The actual break and pull weight of the trigger hasn't changed from stock (comparing my memory of how this particular trigger felt stock and to the other stock X-Series FCU trigger I have), which was to be expected since no springs were changed and the sear surfaces weren't modified. It has less than half of the take-up of the stock trigger with less than one millimeter of movement before you hit the wall, and overtravel is slightly reduced as well. For a carry/defensive gun, I'd say the feel is just about perfect.

Further thoughts on the Romeo1 optic shroud - It's tough. It extends in front of the lens of the optic, so unless approached by a convex surface the shroud will take any bumps/hits directly rather than the optic body or lens. I haven't and won't do a shoulder height drop to concrete (at least not intentionally), but I have used the shroud to rack the pistol off a table - It damaged the table, not the shroud.

For the purposes of parts and modifications, barring a decision to send the grip modules off for stippling/frame work, I believe I am at this point comfortable in calling the RS320 completed.

But you all know how it goes when you follow the Hail Hydra school of gun builds;

IMG_3215.JPG

"Finish one project - Two more shall take its place..."

MojoNixon

Established
Further thoughts on the Apex trigger kit - It is as advertised. The actual break and pull weight of the trigger hasn't changed from stock (comparing my memory of how this particular trigger felt stock and to the other stock X-Series FCU trigger I have), which was to be expected since no springs were changed and the sear surfaces weren't modified. It has less than half of the take-up of the stock trigger with less than one millimeter of movement before you hit the wall, and overtravel is slightly reduced as well. For a carry/defensive gun, I'd say the feel is just about perfect.

Further thoughts on the Romeo1 optic shroud - It's tough. It extends in front of the lens of the optic, so unless approached by a convex surface the shroud will take any bumps/hits directly rather than the optic body or lens. I haven't and won't do a shoulder height drop to concrete (at least not intentionally), but I have used the shroud to rack the pistol off a table - It damaged the table, not the shroud.

For the purposes of parts and modifications, barring a decision to send the grip modules off for stippling/frame work, I believe I am at this point comfortable in calling the RS320 completed.

But you all know how it goes when you follow the Hail Hydra school of gun builds;

View attachment 3114

"Finish one project - Two more shall take its place..."
So, 2 more comps, 2 magwells, an optic, and cerekite a slide to match the grip module then you’re done until 2 more projects pop up.
I’m a bit jealous but if I were to get a Sig I think I’d like to have a P226 Legion. A friend of mine from LF has one as his duty gun and I really like it.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
So, 2 more comps, 2 magwells, an optic, and cerekite a slide to match the grip module then you’re done until 2 more projects pop up.
I’m a bit jealous but if I were to get a Sig I think I’d like to have a P226 Legion. A friend of mine from LF has one as his duty gun and I really like it.

Currently evaluating parts lists for both of the in-progress builds and will have a more thorough breakdown by tomorrow.

I do like the Legion series pistols, but at this point I think I've got enough invested in/am happy enough with the capabilities of the P320 platform to stick with it. I will be interested to see what Sig comes up with when they inevitably do a Legion P320...

MojoNixon

Established
Currently evaluating parts lists for both of the in-progress builds and will have a more thorough breakdown by tomorrow.

I do like the Legion series pistols, but at this point I think I've got enough invested in/am happy enough with the capabilities of the P320 platform to stick with it. I will be interested to see what Sig comes up with when they inevitably do a Legion P320...
I like the 226S/A Legion from my 1911 days.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
I always thought the SAO P226 (and soon the SAO P229, whenever they get it shipped) would be a good alternative for the folks who want a 1911 for defense but want more rounds/more reliability. Assuming they eventually role out a P229 SAO Legion RX it will be very difficult to resist getting one to comp as well