Introducing: Project Nemesis - P320 Roland Special

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Had a block of unexpected free time this evening and decided to take a trip to the range. With tonight's shooting accounted for, the system as a whole has just ticked over the 2,000 round mark - And as has become the norm, no malfunctions to speak of with the operating systems of either setup.

I am, however, further disappointed with the ANR Design magwell on the Compact grip module. Once again it took less than one magazine before the front lip of the magwell began sliding off the front of the grip module;

IMG_2544.JPG

The magwell had been re-seated with a few firm taps from a rubber mallet and ANR had sent a replacement set screw thinking they might have shipped out the incorrect screw. I followed their instructions exactly in attaching the magwell before this shooting trip. I'm inclined to believe that the profile of the end of the P320's grip module (no protuding ledge for a magwell to bite into as on a Glock) makes it extremely difficult (if not impossible) to attach a magwell without the use of some kind of epoxy, as Springer Precision does with their P320 magwells. At this time, I believe my options are to either ditch the magwell on the Compact grip module entirely, or get some epoxy to help it hold on. Since I now know that the Compact grip module conceals well enough even with the magwell, I will likely opt to permanently attach it by way of epoxy.

The magwell very much DOES aid in reload speed and gives the grip a much more secure feel in the hand, so in that aspect it works as it should and I can recommend it. But, it would seem in order for it to stay on it does require being permanently attached to a grip module, which is not how it's advertised

Ryan St.Jean

The magwell had been re-seated with a few firm taps from a rubber mallet and ANR had sent a replacement set screw thinking they might have shipped out the incorrect screw. I followed their instructions exactly in attaching the magwell before this shooting trip. I'm inclined to believe that the profile of the end of the P320's grip module (no protuding ledge for a magwell to bite into as on a Glock) makes it extremely difficult (if not impossible) to attach a magwell without the use of some kind of epoxy, as Springer Precision does with their P320 magwells. At this time, I believe my options are to either ditch the magwell on the Compact grip module entirely, or get some epoxy to help it hold on. Since I now know that the Compact grip module conceals well enough even with the magwell, I will likely opt to permanently attach it by way of epoxy.

The magwell very much DOES aid in reload speed and gives the grip a much more secure feel in the hand, so in that aspect it works as it should and I can recommend it. But, it would seem in order for it to stay on it does require being permanently attached to a grip module, which is not how it's advertised
1- Did you no shit use a timer or are you guessing that it’s faster? What’s the time difference?

2- Do you really want to double down and permently attach the product that doesn’t work to your gun? Is there enough surface overlap for that to work?

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
1- Did you no shit use a timer or are you guessing that it’s faster? What’s the time difference?

2- Do you really want to double down and permently attach the product that doesn’t work to your gun? Is there enough surface overlap for that to work?

Apologies, I should be more specific - I have not yet been able to compare reloads with the magwell vs without on a shot timer yet, mostly because the magwell won't stay on long enough during live fire in order to do so. What I mean by it being faster is that during dryfire practice at home the magwell allows a much larger margin for error during reloads, which allows me to reload at a faster pace. In addition, even at the faster pace I "bobble" the reload less often while using the magwell than without it. It is a noticeable enough difference that I can confidently say I am faster reloading with the magwell, though I can't yet quantify it with specific data.

To your second point, I was actually thinking about that after I made my post. I do want to have a magwell of some kind on the Compact grip module, particularly now that I know it will still conceal well enough in an AIWB holster. But, if I'm going to be permanently attaching one to the grip module anyway, it might as well be the Springer Precision magwell - Which is better established as a high quality product, and the ESP version looks like it could be even more concealable than the ANR Designs option

Ryan St.Jean

1- Maybe try it with a timer and see what if anything it actually gets you in a quantifiable way? Be a shame to go to all this hassle and not get anything.

1.5- At the end of the day we all pay our money and take our chances.

2- Getting a better product makes sense, doubly so if you are permenantly attaching it.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
I absolutely intend to put it to the timer as soon as I'm able.

To be honest though, even if my reloads aren't much faster, the more solid grip feel of a magwell is worth it to me - and at the very least it certainly doesn't slow me down

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Did a bit of research and my suspicions have been confirmed - Part of the permanent modification that Springer does to the grip module in attaching their magwell is to machine a small ledge into the front of the bottom of the grip module, which gives their magwell something to bite onto. No ledge on the front of the grip means nothing for the magwell to catch on means it won't stay on.

I'll be purchasing a Springer ESP magwell and sending in the Compact grip module for their installation this week

Sunshine_Shooter

Established
I'll be purchasing a Springer ESP magwell and sending in the Compact grip module for their installation this week

It's $40 to completely replace the whole grip, less than the Springer magwell by itself. I'd epoxy that sucker on there permanently, and replace the whole thing if it still sucked.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Guess I haven’t internalized how cheap the grip modules are. If the magwell he already has is just going to go into the trash and the module is $40 what the heck, give it a try.

Both very good points and yes, one of the benefits of the P320 system - Whether it's stippling gone wrong, magwell that ends up not working the way you wanted, or cracks from regular wear and tear, the grip of the gun is very easily and cheaply replaced;

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2...ly-sig-p320-p250-9mm-luger-357-sig-40-s-and-w

Sunshine_Shooter

Established
Guess I haven’t internalized how cheap the grip modules are. If the magwell he already has is just going to go into the trash and the module is $40 what the heck, give it a try.

The price of replacing the grip is a massively undervalued aspect of the P320. If there was ever a 'beginner's gun' to practice customization on, this is it.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
I may still choose to just send the grip to Springer for their magwell anyway. The allure of the ANVL magwell was that it wouldn't require permanent attachment modification, but if I've reached that point either way I do prefer the aesthetics and profile of the Springer ESP magwell

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
While I'm changing out parts for (in my opinion) superior alternatives, I've decided to swap my Springer Precision base pads for some of Taran Tactical's new P320 pads. When I first started compiling parts for this project, Springer Precision was really the only name in the game putting out quality extended base pads for the P320, particularly ones that would work with the X-Series magwells. TTI however recently released a version of their legendary Firepower base pads for the P320 which are also compatible with the X-Series magwell, so it's time to upgrade.

Should result in the same capacity in both lengths (23- and 27-rounds), but in my opinion toolless attachment/removal and no modifications required to the magazine body makes the TTI extensions a better choice

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
IMG_2591.JPG

Also as a bit of an experiment, I purchased one of TTI's thinner P320 extensions as well. These are intended to fit the OEM 21-round magazines while still fitting a USPSA 140mm magazine gauge. On those magazines, it bumps up the capacity by two rounds to 23 (same as the OEM 17-round magazines with the larger base pads, which are also intended for the 140mm gauge). I however have it added to the Compact 15-round magazine; it still acts as a +2 extension, meaning the Compact magazine now holds 17 rounds (with less additional length than the ANR Designs ANVL base pad which didn't extend the capacity at all). I'll have to wait until my Compact grip module comes back from Springer to see if this setup is compatible with their ESP magwell, but I suspect it will be...

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Continuing the theme of this project that "options are always good thing", I just placed an order for another T1C holster, this one for the X300U+comp setup. Should get it in another couple weeks right around when the Compact grip module gets back from Springer...

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
And in today's surprise, I just got a shipping notification and tracking number from Springer Precision! Turnaround there was unexpectedly quick, which seems to be becoming the norm from them. Compact grip module with properly fitted magwell will be in-hand sooner than expected!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
IMG_2629.JPG

The small TTI base pad is compatible with the Springer magwell. Further thoughts/initial impressions later today when I have time