Introducing: Project Nemesis - P320 Roland Special

Sunshine_Shooter

Established
- The POA/POI shift through the range of ammo from 115gr standard pressure up to 124gr +P is negligible between 3 and 15 yards - Any small shift that is there is being masked by the natural variance in my own accuracy capability...

That's exactly what I was after. Thank you for indulging my curiosity. I'm really impressed with your little setup so far, and it is really making my itch for an M&P-based Fauxland Special grow ever stronger...

Oh, as for the P320 variants, y'all should check out PMM's X-COMP:
dsc04813_orig.jpg

dsc04830_orig.jpg

http://www.parkermountainmachine.com/pmm-custom-firearms.html

God, that's so goofy looking. But, dammit, if I don't want it!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
That's exactly what I was after. Thank you for indulging my curiosity. I'm really impressed with your little setup so far, and it is really making my itch for an M&P-based Fauxland Special grow ever stronger...

Happy to help! It was a question I was curious about as well. Now I should qualify, I'm sure if you were shooting off a bench rest of some kind and were able to very thoroughly stabilize the gun you'd see some effective but minuscule POI shift between the different loads, but the amount of shift wasn't enough to open up my groupings any detectable amount from unsupported, medium-paced shooting

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Happy 4th of July everyone! I'll be celebrating our independence and the freedoms I enjoy as an American citizen the way I normally do, at the range blasting little holes into paper and cardboard. I don't expect to have as thorough an update after today as my last few trips to the range, as I've completed my reliability and ammo comparison testing and I'll mostly just be shooting a bunch of WWB 124gr NATO spec FMJ rounds. If anything new or interesting comes up though I'll be sure to post about it here!

MojoNixon

Established
I’m glad the NATO spec is working out for you. I just put another 200 or so thru my TBRC comp on Saturday. I’m well over 1K of this load now with no issues. My G19 just sings with it.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
I’m glad the NATO spec is working out for you. I just put another 200 or so thru my TBRC comp on Saturday. I’m well over 1K of this load now with no issues. My G19 just sings with it.

Thank you for suggesting it! It matches the recoil impulse of the 124gr +P JHP loads perfectly so it's an excellent training ammo. With today's range trip this P320 has just ticked over 1,200 rounds in total and showing no signs of issues or stoppages (other than the aforementioned issues with the 65gr Inceptor ARX stuff, but I wasn't seriously expecting it to work with that or planning to ever shoot more than the one box of it for fun)

ETA: Well, maybe having to let the gun cool for five minutes because the trigger is too hot to touch might be considered an issue to some...But I'm not too concerned about it!

MojoNixon

Established
No thanks needed, just glad to help.
The NATO spec is not drastically different than my carry load (147gr. standard pressure HST) but I am going to give the +P version of the 147 HST another go to see if it more closely resembles the NATO spec load. I’d like to keep my training and carry loads as similar as possible while still keeping a 147 for carry. There are some higher velocity and maybe because of that higher pressure 147 loads out there, it’s just finding them in bulk that may be an issue.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
IMG_2097.JPG

While I wait on the cases of Critical Duty 124gr +P and WWB 124gr NATO spec to arrive, I decided to purchase a box each of Underwood loaded 115gr Xtreme Penetrator rounds, one box of +P and one box of +P+. I'm slightly curious to see how the oddly shaped rounds feed and what difference in the recoil impulse I'll be able to tell between the +P/+P+ loads. Also of note; it starts to get annoying that JHP loads are generally sold in boxes of 20, when your magazines hold 23 and 27 rounds respectively...

IMPORTANT NOTE: I do NOT intend to use the XP rounds in any real defensive role, nor do I encourage the use of anything other than a well-engineered, reliable, traditional JHP round with a strong track record to be used for standard defensive purposes by anyone else. This is strictly an exercise in personal curiosity. When the gun is not at the range, it will be topped up with the excellent Hornady Critical Duty rounds which have proven performance in real-world defensive applications and have proven themselves 100% reliable in my specific pistol through extensive testing

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
IMG_2103.JPG
IMG_2111.JPG

New Safariland-compatible holster from QVO Tactical - Fit, finish, attachment, and draw are all fantastic. Adjustable retention. I'll have to run it in practice for a while but initial impressions lean towards being able to give a solid recommendation for them

Sunshine_Shooter

Established
This thread continues to bear fruit. I've been seeing these QVO holsters and wondering about them. Be sure to update us (or just me, if no one else cares) on how it shakes out.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
I'm glad to know that my posts remain relevant to the interests of the members here! I'll keep everyone updated on how the holster pans out. So far just been doing some drawstroke practice with it at home, getting a feel for grip positioning and necessary body mechanics. So far, so good

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
IMG_2124.JPG

For anyone who might be curious, this is the belt system that the QVO holster attaches to. Standard disclaimer, I am not LEO/MIL trained, and this is my first attempt at a "war belt" setup; configuration is subject to change as my preferences change through training and use.

Inner belt is a Bianchi Model 7200 2.25" duty belt, outer is HSGI's Sure-Grip laser-cut slotted padded belt. Magazine pouches are HSGI pistol tacos at about 10:30 and 1:30. The two administrative pouches at about 4:30 and 6:30 are Maxpedition MPPs that hold a multitool, flashlight, replacement batteries for pistol optic and X300U. Also a (rather large) tear-away IFAK at 6:00 contained in a Maxpedition FIGHT pouch. Two Safariland Model 6004-25 DFA leg shrouds with QLS mounting points at 3:00 and 9:00. Pistol goes on left hip (I'm a southpaw), knife goes on right hip.

This setup works great for what I wanted it to be able to do - I like that it is basically a "stand-alone" system, in that regardless of what clothes I'm wearing otherwise I can strap the belt system on and it stays rock solid around my waist. It may not work for others depending on their intended purpose/mission requirements, of course

krax

I, for one, am looking forward to that belt setup changing as you train with it.

The good: It has a belt, a holster, some pistol mags, and an IFAK.

The bad: Drop legs for no apparent reason, pistol pouches placed for symmetry instead of reload speed, BFK for no apparent reason.

But don't take my word for it. Go to a class.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
I, for one, am looking forward to that belt setup changing as you train with it.

The good: It has a belt, a holster, some pistol mags, and an IFAK.

The bad: Drop legs for no apparent reason, pistol pouches placed for symmetry instead of reload speed, BFK for no apparent reason.

But don't take my word for it. Go to a class.

Constructive criticism is always appreciated! By no means do I intend for this belt configuration to be set in stone, and I will absolutely be training with it as much as I can and changing it as much as I find necessary throughout the course of the training.

I will admit, some of the decisions in the setup were initially driven by my compulsive desire for symmetry. That is absolutely something I intend to evaluate and alter as needed. To be honest sometimes it's so bad it's tempting to put a second comped P320 on the other side of where the current one is...

My initial reasoning for the drop leg systems was; 1. Help stabilize and locate the belt on my person, 2. In preparation for running a plate carrier, and 3. To help push the pistol and knife further out from the rest of the setup for quicker and easier draw mechanics. Both 6004-25 systems however are subject to removal and replacement should I find it needed

ETA: I assume "BFK" stands for "Big F***ing Knife", correct?

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
When I first put the belt together I didn't have either leg shroud. Problems I had with that were that the belt tended to shift quite a bit when moving, it was quite a bit of weight solely on my (quite bony) hips, and I found my pistol and knife draw difficult with the holster/sheath directly attached to the SureGrip molle field, tucked in as close as they were to my body.

I ended up adding the left leg shroud to push the pistol a bit further out and found it helped to keep the belt more secure when moving around, improved my draw mechanics, and distributed the weight a bit better on my left side. Decided to try adding the right side leg shroud for the knife and found the same benefit in draw mechanics, stabilization of the overall system, and the weight now nearly disappears when everything is strapped down. With the numerous contact points it helps hold some of the weight off of specific pressure points on my hips.

Again, NOT saying that any part of this or the entire system isn't entirely subject to change through training, just meaning to explain a bit of the development that has ended up at this point!

MojoNixon

Established
Is it the shroud that pushes the pistol out and away a bit or is it the QLS mounting that actually does that?

krax

The theory of why things are where they are makes sense, but you may look into some other ways to approach your issues.

If the belt shifting is an issue, you may consider a double belt system that utilizes velcro to attach an outer belt to an inner belt worn on the pants. The Biancchi duty belt can do that on it's own. If you want the velcro belt, but with padding, there are only a few out there I know of (Velocity OUB, Snake Eater?).

Another way to solve an issue with weight distribution in to remove excess weight. Low hanging fruit here is the 3lb knife, 1-2 pistol magazines, and the extra GP pouches. Stow the multitool and flashlight in individual pouches and you'll save weight on nylon alone.

I don't know what climate you train in, but there's a lot of potential chafing spots on that setup depending on heat/humidity, specifically, under each leg strap and all along the padded belt.

There's a thread on the forum called "warbelt setups" that's worth looking at. You'll see some trends there that are worth adopting.