Introducing: Project Nemesis - P320 Roland Special

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
A bit of personal improvement to the guns today:

DD1276FE-7931-4BAE-BB30-1F5E6BC47278.jpeg

The bottom of IP’s grip modules have these two screw holes left as an artifact of the machining process on the beavertail. Generally perfectly fine and unnoticeable. When you put the gun through some higher round count range sessions however the slight movement from recoil can add up and eventually rub some little raw spots on the webbing of your strong hand:

C10B77FB-1C4A-4DE8-8A3C-9EFAB409CF98.jpeg

A quick fix for this is to fill the two holes from the bottom with JB Weld epoxy to smooth out the beavertail area and remove any cause for irritation that might otherwise be present:

BB88AE06-6016-47F2-8A26-B6D348EE54EE.jpeg

Quick and simple fix for a bit more comfort

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
E1AC4668-75F0-44F5-968E-24613FEA032A.jpeg

Took the opportunity today to go shooting with my dad and my brother. Got to put another few hundred rounds through the EVO320 and a few cylinders through the Pug, again no problems to report. We also got to shake down my brother’s newly assembled Custom Works FCU Fullsize gun, and with just a couple drops of lube on the rails it ran perfectly. He’ll be sending it off soon here for optic milling and he’s got a X300U on the way, so that’ll be a nicely built addition to our small collection of P320s.

At the recommendation of Joe _K we went and tried the Shoot Indoors range nearby. It’s a very nice facility, the staff is great, and it’s very conveniently located - I know for sure I’ll be going back!

About another two trips to the range and the EVO320 will pass the 2,000 round mark. It’s holding up extremely well so far and performing flawlessly, there isn’t anything about it I’d want to change. Excitedly awaiting the new holster to come in and when it does I’ll be running drills with it at home and on the firing line. More updates coming soon!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
0FCDA063-8666-4498-BB59-04B2B1850786.jpeg

After the trip last weekend and my range time in about an hour the EVO320 will have ticked over the 2k round mark. Holster for it should be done in another week or two, and then I can really get down to drilling and practicing with what I firmly consider my perfect pistol. Info on the holster will be posted as soon as I get it in hand!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Were you able to shoot effectively when the sight was filthed? Works as an occluded eye optic?

It does indeed, not an issue at all with both eyes open. I actually hadn’t noticed how covered it had become until I was packing everything up to leave. That many rounds without being wiped off is an anomaly anyway, but good to know it still works should it be necessary

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
No pics this time but another quick 100 rounds at the range today, doing reloads with the Neomag carrier. Extremely convenient piece and will work excellently in concert with the OTG holster once it gets here, should make for a very effective and capable carry system!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
9DD43FCA-E074-4FC3-A1DF-ECD6524A91CF.jpeg

Another range trip, another 200 rounds through EVO320 without an issue - and another trip to the range leaving the RS320s at home in the safe. I’m very heavily considering selling the complete top end assembly and magwell’d polymer grip modules from both RS320s as something like aftermarket X-Change kits and rebuilding the lowers from both to the EVO320 spec. The lower assembly on all three guns is identical - same FCU, Apex trigger, Icarus grip module with Springer magwell, and Surefire X300U-B lights. For each RS320 I’d need a standard P320 Compact complete upper assembly, Bar-Sto threaded barrels, Springer Open comps, Atlas RMR/SRO mounts, and Holosun 508Ts (the X2s, since it’s about time to upgrade the original EVO320 too). But at that point I’d be left with triplets and have a backup for my backup…

Have to think about it a bit more

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
2011CA46-420F-4B95-8985-0B5162070677.jpeg

Just got a package of custom gun buckets from OTGHex!

6C4C5F7F-460A-44D5-8E81-721FBB1237E6.jpeg

EF3EF545-2DB6-4881-97B2-6432771A17F0.jpeg

Ordered an AIWB and an OWB QLS w/ thumb break model and they both fit excellently. The kydex is molded smoothly, edges and corners are well rounded, and the custom fitting around the Atlas optic mount was done perfectly even without having the actual gun to go off of. And because I know someone will mention it, the AIWB holster is fairly wide in comparison to a regular light-bearing holster but compared to a Sidecar style holster - like the T1C Axis I use with the RS320s - it’s not really any larger in width:

3613FEBF-6830-4EBD-8F3C-A7B16E7B9A19.jpeg
The optic shroud on the AIWB piece was requested for two reasons, the first being structural rigidity so the holster doesn’t crush under belt tension after the pistol is drawn, and secondly to keep pressure from the belt from snagging on the optic and slowing down/stopping the draw stroke

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
AA06D98C-E7B6-4AA6-B5CC-D4145153D642.jpeg

First trip to the range getting to work from the new holster on the EVO320, brought the OWB setup with me this time. Dryfire and practicing manipulations at home definitely helps the body mechanics on the firing line but one thing I do need to work on some is calming down my hand tremors, causes some shanked shots here and there especially when trying to move quickly. Another couple hundred rounds through the gun today brings it up to 2,500 total with no issues. I think it’s gonna get a good cleaning tonight, probably haven’t really scrubbed it down since about a thousand rounds ago

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Well, ran into a bit of a problem with the EVO320 - I believe the striker safety lock broke while dryfiring this afternoon:

E175F2A1-DDAD-4BC9-A3A9-AF72AFF40637.jpeg
Part #6 in this diagram

I was doing a little standard dryfire practice over lunch, had done about a dozen trigger pulls, when I went to rack the slide and the gun wouldn’t go fully back into battery. Took the slide off and took a bit ofinspecting and comparing to see what was wrong but it appears that the safety lock is no longer present on the EVO320 slide. Here’s a comparison between RS320A and the EVO320:

B86C8CD8-8196-478D-978B-A20BF823784B.jpeg

B3C9C312-8545-41F6-9E11-7E41E97FCD9B.jpeg
RS320A, safety lock clearly visible and functional. Round count is ~5,200 rounds

2691A2D5-1E77-488B-98AB-987D5904E727.jpeg

8EFA8228-F378-43CB-8AE8-D834BFC1B02E.jpeg
EVO320, no safety lock. Round count of ~2,500 rounds

I’ll have to actually remove the striker assembly later tonight when I have time to fully inspect it and see what’s happened. For the life of me though if it broke off I can’t find the little piece of metal either in the frame of the gun or on the ground where I was dryfiring, it seems to have just vanished…

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
A1909B7C-7C31-400F-B33A-521708CDBFF6.jpeg

Yup. Here we see where the striker safety lock should be, and the small sliver of metal below the striker assembly is everything that was left of the safety lock piece. I’m gonna say that’s broken

ProfDecoy

Amateur
The upside is Sig will sell you a complete striker assembly for $50 so you don't have to try reassembling the whole thing yourself. The downside is that the singular part that broke is a cheaper replacement, but not available individually.

Bummer it broke with such a low fired round count, but do you know how many dry fire reps you had on it?

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
The upside is Sig will sell you a complete striker assembly for $50 so you don't have to try reassembling the whole thing yourself. The downside is that the singular part that broke is a cheaper replacement, but not available individually.

Bummer it broke with such a low fired round count, but do you know how many dry fire reps you had on it?

There are a few shops that list the safety lock bar individually fairly inexpensively:

As far as dryfire I don’t keep track exactly as I do with live rounds, but based on the time I’ve had the gun and my weekly habits I’d estimate it’s around 15,000 dryfire trigger pulls. But again either of my other two P320s easily surpass that number and neither of them have a problem at all

ProfDecoy

Amateur
As far as dryfire I don’t keep track exactly as I do with live rounds, but based on the time I’ve had the gun and my weekly habits I’d estimate it’s around 15,000 dryfire trigger pulls. But again either of my other two P320s easily surpass that number and neither of them have a problem at all
I have a friend at Sig, and he told me that it should last around 20k rounds. My P320 armorer's manual also lists the striker assembly with a 20k round replacement interval.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
I have a friend at Sig, and he told me that it should last around 20k rounds. My P320 armorer's manual also lists the striker assembly with a 20k round replacement interval.

Sounds about right. I’m considering this a one-off incident and just replaced the striker assembly early

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
0CC010AA-20A8-4AE8-82CE-5E436A84D07B.jpeg

After trying it out for a while I’ve come to the conclusion I’m not quite getting the adjustment I’d like or the concealment I want from the AIWB holster once it’s paired up with my pants loops and belt. I’ve got the itch to try this kydex attached to a Phlster Enigma LB system. It has all the hardware points that would be needed to be compatible, so it might work - although I want to stress this will very much be an experiment that potentially fails. The only problem is the LB Enigma is currently waitlisted, so have to wait on a restock for now…