Introducing: Project Nemesis - P320 Roland Special

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
78EED5A5-08C1-4DB5-BF88-70108144F28D.jpeg

Another day at the range, another 250 rounds through the EVO320, this time with absolutely zero malfunctions or hiccups. The ejection pattern normalized as well and it now kicks casings out with authority in the right direction:

An excellent showing by the pistol and a great day overall...Until I got home. I sat down to wipe the gun down and inspect everything, and when I took the Killer Innovations compensator off it spontaneously disassembled itself:

40C9AA7F-0CD2-43F4-8892-730E0E8240A6.jpeg

After inspecting it the best I can figure is that a set screw meant to hold the ratchet assembly together came out at some point (not sure when, it wasn’t anywhere on the floor around my workspace nor in my pistol case) and it now won’t go back together. I’ve reached out to Killer Innovations about the issue to try to get an answer, but this incident has me slightly concerned that their compensator may be too complex of a component with too many potential failure points to have on a gun I fully intend to utilize in a defensive role. Particularly as compared to the completely problem-free experience I’ve had twice over with the Bar-Sto barrels and Springer Precision compensators on both the RS320s...

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
You know, thst comp just looks complex. That may just be me, but.....I’d really think that comp over. But that’s just me.

It is, and I am very thoroughly considering whether I want to leave that potential failure point in the system when the Springer comps have worked so well for me already

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Do you know if the issues are related to the different comp, or extra drag on the slide from the frame?

Which issue are you referring to? There isn’t any additional drag on the slide, the optic mount doesn’t contact the slide in any way. I think the cycling issues from the first range trip were just due to all of the parts being so new, tight tolerances that hadn’t worn in yet. All of those issues were resolved yesterday and there weren’t any cycling issues or erratic ejection problems through the entire 250 rounds that were fired. The compensator falling apart is a separate issue entirely, having to do with the complexity of the ratcheting installation method. I’ve decided to change it out for a more standard thread-on-with-loctite Springer compensator that has been problem-free through the combined 6,500 rounds through the two RS320s.

The ratcheting comp was an experiment, and as I always say when you’re doing trial-and-error gun building you have to accept that sometimes there will be errors. When you run into a problem, just address it and move on!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
I ordered up another couple components to try out while I had my debit card handy. Going forward the undercurrent theme of the EVO320 build is going to be a resounding “Because Fuck Recoil”, with a few experiments directed to that end.

Of course yet again the hardest part of building a project gun is the excruciating wait on parts being shipped and arriving...

Stanislao

I didn't realize that there was a page thirty-one in this thread and as such missed a lot.

Previously I've not heard of P320s requiring any kind of break in, so I wondered if the comp wasn't overpowered or if the aluminum grip wasn't contacting the slide.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
I didn't realize that there was a page thirty-one in this thread and as such missed a lot.

Previously I've not heard of P320s requiring any kind of break in, so I wondered if the comp wasn't overpowered or if the aluminum grip wasn't contacting the slide.

I think the cycling issues were due to the combination of a brand new match-grade barrel with tight tolerances, the large compensator, and a still brand new and stiff stock recoil spring assembly. Problems with the compensator falling apart when I got home notwithstanding, it appears those issues were fixed after the first 250 rounds. The aluminum grip module still doesn’t contact the slide directly in any way, same as any polymer grip module

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
7BB4F363-B8B6-4323-8880-186BD96C8F58.jpeg

I’m starting to think the P320 is basically just a striker-fired 2011...STI/Staccato 2011 Tactical magwell fits the Icarus Precision grip module perfectly. It’ll need some epoxy, a couple set screws, and some blending on the inside funnel of the grip module to smooth out the transition point, but it’ll work!

E2C7679C-3E13-480D-9303-72B33AF9707B.jpeg

Attachments

• 1D618C4A-6E56-44FD-B48A-FDF8F668A556.jpeg
    1D618C4A-6E56-44FD-B48A-FDF8F668A556.jpeg
    217.3 KB · Views: 4

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
D394DAF0-DEDE-4EC1-B9C4-C31338DBE069.jpeg

Another piece of the puzzle trickled in today. This will be another experiment for the EVO320 test bed. This is the DPM Systems “recoil reducing” tunable recoil system for the P320 (Because Fuck Recoil). It includes three different rate springs that can be selected for your specific setup and ammo. Some experimentation will be necessary to determine which spring provides the best results with NATO/+P ammo running through the Springer compensator, but in just installing it into the gun and racking the slide a bit it does (subjectively) feel smoother already. We’ll see how that translates into shooting feel once I get the Bar-Sto barrel and SP comp

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
E178C337-3BF4-43AF-B975-F480D30583EE.jpeg

My standard trigger upgrade for all of my P320s. This makes sure that no matter which pistol I’m shooting, the trigger feels as close to identical as possible. I should really get the tools that would let me install these myself at home...

NEC_0170

Amateur
View attachment 6750

My standard trigger upgrade for all of my P320s. This makes sure that no matter which pistol I’m shooting, the trigger feels as close to identical as possible. I should really get the tools that would let me install these myself at home...
A hammer, punch, and needle nose pliers (possibly some emery cloth to polish the FCU after installing the trigger overtravel limiter) - done.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
90872634-E434-43CC-AB4D-A183265476A8.jpeg

I love deliveries! Got the Bar-Sto barrel and Springer comp in for the EVO320. Since it uses a standard Compact slide as opposed to an X-Carry slide with tighter tolerances, no fitting was needed and it dropped right into place.

137C4B8D-C73D-4F79-AC11-870303BE830A.jpeg

I did end up going with Springer’s larger three-port compensator as opposed to the “Shorty” comp that’s on the RS320s (Because Fuck Recoil). They say it requires +P or Major PF ammunition to function reliably, but since all I ever shoot is +P/NATO loads I figured I’d be good to go.

5BE62684-25E1-4565-9F3D-0E5846EDA8FA.jpeg

The loctite will be left to dry for the next 24 hours and then it should be good to go - No more spontaneous disassembles in the future