Introducing: Project Nemesis - P320 Roland Special

MojoNixon

Established
So, umm...How’s the weather where y’all are at?

I swear I’m not getting impatient about getting the EVO320 back. Nope.

Not at all...
Upper 70’s today. Mid 80’s thru the coming week. Last week was mid to upper 90’s. And windy. Trying to find a good calm day so I can get a good baseline zero on my Savage 110 Tactical.
Tried attaching a pic but the file is too large.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
D3F3B9CD-10EC-42EC-BB38-F2D1430196CF.jpeg

In true fashion to the saying “idle hands are the devil’s workshop”, while the EVO320 is out getting some plastic surgery (metal surgery?) from my ‘smith, I’ve been thinking about different things I could do with this spare FDE grip module I’ve had for a while now. I’m leaning towards the possibility of a RS320 Mini, using a X-Compact as the starting point and utilizing the Parker Mountain Machine Micro compensator. When added to the 3.6” X-Compact slide, the PMM Micro compensator creates an overall length that’s flush with the Compact dustcover:

https://www.parkermountainmachine.com/store/p417/PMM_P320__Micro_JTTC_and_Barrel_Combo_.html

Curse this fantastically modular and modifiable platform...I am never gonna financially recover from this

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Returning to the range today after a long hiatus! I’ll be pumping up the round count through RS320B mainly, as it assumes the role of designated range/practice pistol. The EVO320 should be back in my hands by the end of this week as well, and will finally be in an operable condition - meaning another range trip will be in order shortly thereafter for an extensive shakedown. Pictures will come later this evening!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
8F6F9466-13CC-45C4-9A95-AEC4BC77861B.jpeg

Took a little while to shake the rust off but got it back pretty quickly today. That’s another 250 malfunction-free rounds down the pipe for RS320B bringing the tally up to ~1,500. The only thing that’s left to do is to shoot and train with it until it falls apart.

My brother got to shoot his M18 with the dot for the first time today as well, and it can safely be said he’s now officially a convert to the church of pistol RDS. He also found out exactly how much it sucks to shoot .357Mag out of a S&W 340PD...

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Just got off the phone with my gunsmith, sounds like a slight delay with other customers will mean the EVO320 will need another week to be finished, but he stated it was at the top of his queue to work on. He expects to have it finished by the 10th. Updates and more as I get them!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Well...Got another call from my gunsmith today, unfortunately they said more delays have pushed back completing the work on my gun a bit longer. Hopefully it gets sorted out and I have some significantly more interesting/exciting updates to share soon, but for now I’m back to dryfiring RS320B and doing my best to wait patiently...

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
D46927E4-9BA5-4BEB-9BBA-0EBE0029D4B4.jpeg

I’ve spent most of last night and this morning disassembling, inspecting, dryfiring, and generally manipulating the EVO320 and I must say I’m just absolutely tickled at how well this experiment seems to have worked. The installation by my gunsmith is absolutely flawless.

F058A689-CEB8-440C-AF1F-E3030BE16743.jpeg

The reticle on the 508T is extremely easy to acquire and the gun points perfectly naturally. It only took about a dozen draws to get the dot to fall exactly on my point of aim.

50AD6768-874D-47AA-9675-AED047F61E31.jpeg

There’s still a bit more to do parts-wise to complete the build, but it’s finally in operable shape to take to the range and blast as many rounds down the pipe as possible!

MojoNixon

Established
View attachment 6679

I’ve spent most of last night and this morning disassembling, inspecting, dryfiring, and generally manipulating the EVO320 and I must say I’m just absolutely tickled at how well this experiment seems to have worked. The installation by my gunsmith is absolutely flawless.

View attachment 6680

The reticle on the 508T is extremely easy to acquire and the gun points perfectly naturally. It only took about a dozen draws to get the dot to fall exactly on my point of aim.

View attachment 6681

There’s still a bit more to do parts-wise to complete the build, but it’s finally in operable shape to take to the range and blast as many rounds down the pipe as possible!
That dot looks ...large. What size is it? Even my 20/blind eyes could probably pick that up.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
That dot looks ...large. What size is it? Even my 20/blind eyes could probably pick that up.

It’s blurred because it’s out of focus in that photo, but it’s the Eotech-style circle-dot reticle; a 32-MOA ring with a 2-MOA dot in the center.

Holosun-Selectable-Reticle.jpg

pnf89tq2pxw11.jpg

(Not my pic)

It’s extremely easy to acquire as compared to just the standard dot, it was one of the features that appealed to me for this particular build. Much easier to acquire without the peripheral context of BUIS

MojoNixon

Established
That looks good. With my astigmatism in my left non dominant eye I could get used to that. I’m going to have seriously look into that for when I dot up my G19.

MojoNixon

Established
Me or Rudukai?
I appendix carry a comped G19 with a TLR—HL and a 15 round mag that has an Arredondo +3 extension and a Magpul magwell. I also always carry a Glock 24 round Mag with the same + 3 extension and sometimes I carry 2 of those mags. At 6’3” and on a heavy day I’m 180. I can pull it off easily.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
90369C27-34DC-442E-9D20-4D901C739CE9.jpeg

So...I figured one 2011 part worked out pretty well, maybe another one will...I swear I don’t have a problem, I can stop whenever I want - I think :oops:

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
E6E3EA81-D68F-47E7-AF77-6C849AD10AF6.jpeg

Well, back from the range with some good and some bad. I put the first 250 rounds through the EVO320 and it’s clear it’s going to have a break-in period. Started out fairly rough with quite a few ejection failures and an erratic ejection pattern when the pistol did cycle successfully. The FTEs started to clear up towards the end, though the ejection pattern remained unpredictable throughout. That ejection issue can be seen in the following video (apologies for the poor quality, the resolution got compressed to shit when it was sent from my friend’s phone):

Once the pistol started operating a bit more reliably I was able to assess the shooting feel a bit better, and as expected the recoil profile is MUCH softer and smoother than even the RS320 which I brought for comparison. Shooting the same 9mm NATO rounds through both guns, the difference in recoil between the two would be like the difference between 9mm standard pressure and 9mm +P+. I’m sure this is due to the additional weight from the metal frame and moving the optic from reciprocating weight to non-reciprocating weight. It’s also much, much, MUCH easier to keep track of the dot with it not shooting back and forth with each cycle of the slide.

It’s likely to need a couple hundred more rounds through it before it’s completely broken in and running smoothly, but my initial shooting impression is extremely positive. I’ll be keeping an eye on the ejection pattern as well to make sure it normalizes with a higher round count

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Sounds like I’ll have another opportunity to go to the range on Monday with my brother, potentially to an outdoor range up in the mountains. More rounds will be fed through the EVO320 soon either way