Introducing: Project Nemesis - P320 Roland Special

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
I love it when a plan comes together :cool:

D5DB7A06-1107-4B01-84AB-C396FE053B93.jpeg

The Atlas Gunworks 2011 optic mount fits on the P320 frame like it was made for it.

5B429EB9-83DE-40FE-967F-3D930163748D.jpeg

Including with enough clearance to still allow mounting of a WML;

830ED68F-0461-4C29-944B-FE33CA3BA22A.jpeg

Of course, the polymer grip module isn’t substantial enough on its own to secure the mount to. But a soon-to-be-available aluminum grip module will be more than secure...The EVO320 is a go!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
I don’t know if this has been covered previously but I have 2 questions.
1) Are you left handed? and,
2) What wood is that as your backdrop for many of your pictures?

I am a lefty, and it’s the cedar top from a large chest of drawers. Doesn’t make a great work table but does provide a nice contrasting background for pictures

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
I just noticed the mag release set up for either a lefty or righty trigger finger. The cedar as a backdrop is nice.

Thank you sir! Having a swappable mag release and ambi slide stop are some of the nicer features on the P320 platform for us southpaws. I’m certainly capable of using my trigger finger on guns that don’t have swappable or ambi mag releases, but having it switched around is much easier

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
While I’m waiting on certain other necessary components for the EVO320 project to come to market (and saving up funds for them), I figured I’d both organize my thoughts and explain a bit about the purpose of the project and what I’m hoping to accomplish with the end result.

First and foremost, while a frame-mounted pistol optic system will still generally immediately conjure up images of a designated USPSA Open division competition-only pistol, I want to be very clear that this build is NOT intended primarily for competition use: It is my intent to use this project to illustrate a leap further towards applying the advantages of certain traditionally competition-exclusive features and philosophies to a handgun primarily intended to be used for duty, home defense, and yes, even concealed carry. It’s my belief that the robustness and capabilities of certain models and manufacturers of miniature RDS technology has surpassed the risk/benefit threshold that would otherwise make the loss of BUIS on a handgun an untenable proposition. It is readily apparent to me that I’m not alone in the industry in making this assessment, with several manufacturers having recently introduced various duty-oriented handguns that also rely solely on non-reciprocating optical sighting systems. Many of us have already been comfortable living with and depending on RDS-only duty and defensive rifles for many years now, and I believe the capabilities of certain handgun optics have reached a similar point of reliability. My thoughts on specifically which model(s) of RDS that thinking applies to will be further explained as the components are purchased and the build progresses.

I have gone back and forth a bit on how closely I wanted the EVO320 to utilize the same components as the RS320 project, and have settled on maintaining as much mechanical consistency as possible within the limitations of the differences necessary to make the transition from slide-mounted optics to frame-mounted optics. Therefore and perhaps disappointing to some, I plan to use the same Bar-Sto barrel, Springer compensator, Surefire X300U, and Apex trigger kit in the EVO320 project that have already proven themselves through the pair of RS320 builds. This is not to say I am of the opinion that only these specific components are of high enough quality to be applied to the P320 platform - aftermarket support for the P320 has expanded rapidly in recent years and there are many high-quality products from other manufacturers which are more than worthy of consideration. This is of course very much a matter of personal preference, but I’ve come to the conclusion that my desire to exemplify an evolutionary step beyond the current RDS handgun format is bolstered by maintaining some extent of consistency between the two final platforms. Simply stated, the EVO320 is meant to signify the next evolution of Roland Special/RS320-type duty guns (hence the EVO moniker).

Hopefully this gives a bit more insight into my thoughts, plans, and intentions behind this new endeavor. As always if anyone has any questions or thoughts, always feel free to post here or send me a message and I’ll gladly explain further to the best of my ability. Hopefully those of you still following this thread will appreciate what I’m attempting to illustrate by undertaking this new build, and hopefully the finished product that’s already been meticulously constructed, torn apart, redesigned, re-constructed, and detailed down to the last nut and bolt dozens of times over in my mind will be of as much interest to you as it has been to me over the several years of waiting for it to become a possible reality.

This is a project I’ve wanted to do for a very, very long time, and I can’t wait to document it all here for all of you!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
@JPitts0117 I got the email notification of your question but for some reason I’m not seeing it in the thread. You asked if it was feasible to attach the optic mount to an aluminum shim on the inside of the dust cover on the polymer grip module - the answer is yes, but you’d still have potential issues resulting from the overall flexibility of the polymer grip module possibly effecting accuracy. Watch slow-mo footage of any polymer-framed handgun (especially one with a WML mounted) and you’ll clearly see flexing and bending of the accessory rail portion of the frame under recoil;

This isn’t an issue in polymer-framed guns where the optic is mounted securely in relation to the barrel, but if your sighting system is mounted to a location that moves so significantly independent from the barrel of the pistol it can effect overall accuracy. A metal grip module will have considerably less elasticity which will lend itself to better accuracy in a setup where the optic isn’t mounted directly to the slide assembly

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
8DA9CD71-AA94-4EEC-BC86-1E4A6A6C7632.jpeg

Hereby declaring my official petition to change the phrase “Fall back” to “Extra hour of dryfire practice day”

71113625-4EDD-4AF1-A005-83D0BE481BEA.jpeg

I really need to get the Apex trigger kit installed in RS320B, it is so much better than the stock X-Series trigger and it would mean the RS320B build was officially complete...

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
0BDF1904-9578-4780-B683-06AAD9D5C26B.jpeg

Obligatory EDC/pocket dump pic. Thank god for cargo pants.

RS320A is my daily carry as it was always intended to be. I will say though, if the EVO320 project works out as I hope it will, I will likely be transitioning to it as my designated EDC. If what I have in mind pans out, it’ll be no more challenging/difficult to carry concealed than the RS320 platform but with a few keys advantages that make it a better platform overall

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
No waiting the usual “4-6 weeks estimated delivery time” OpticsPlanet limbo, just got shipping notification on the next essential component for the EVO320!

NEC_0170

Amateur
Mounted it last nite and went to the range today - I like everything about it but the reticle is going to take some time. I may switch to the 2 MOA Dot - the EO Tech style reticle seems to exagerate the "wobble effect" and I find myself spending too much time trying to steady the dot before breaking the shot. Maybe it will grow on me - sorry for messing up your thread with CZ goodness. :D20191119_180036.jpg

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Mounted it last nite and went to the range today - I like everything about it but the reticle is going to take some time. I may switch to the 2 MOA Dot - the EO Tech style reticle seems to exagerate the "wobble effect" and I find myself spending too much time trying to steady the dot before breaking the shot. Maybe it will grow on me - sorry for messing up your thread with CZ goodness. :DView attachment 5526

No problem! The optic is relevant, therefore the post and photo are relevant.

The circle-dot reticle is actually one of the several reasons I gravitated towards the Holosun for this particular build. Without iron sights as a secondary reference, the large circle should make the optic a bit easier to index if my presentation is slightly askew