Introducing: Project Nemesis - P320 Roland Special

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
If anyone in the Denver area is interested in putting a few rounds through RS320 themselves, I’ll be at Centennial Gun Club the afternoon of April 25th from 3-4pm, meeting another shooter so he can get a feel for the build. Let me know if anyone else is interested and I’ll tell you which lane I have reserved.

https://centennialgunclub.com/

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
4758F91F-D837-494A-A581-FF39502827CF.jpeg

...Aaaand we’re back, RS320A reassembled into working order. Dropped RS320B back into the X-Carry grip module for now in preparation to send the ODG Compact grip out to Springer. Another benefit of the P320 platform - when you send your “frame” out for work, as long as you have a spare your pistol isn’t out of commission. I love this damn gun!

Sunshine_Shooter

Established
View attachment 4025

...Aaaand we’re back, RS320A reassembled into working order. Dropped RS320B back into the X-Carry grip module for now in preparation to send the ODG Compact grip out to Springer. Another benefit of the P320 platform - when you send your “frame” out for work, as long as you have a spare your pistol isn’t out of commission. I love this damn gun!
Has the B's grip always been camo? I thought it was just green.

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Has the B's grip always been camo? I thought it was just green.

That’s the original X-Carry grip module the pistol came with, which was cerakoted in Black Multicam to match the slide. The standard Compact grip module that I took off in prep to send to Springer for their magwell installation is just OD Green, the OEM Sig color

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Speaking of which - Tax refund hit so made my order for ESP magwell and installation from Springer. Ended up purchasing an ESP magwell for both the ODG Compact grip module as well as the FDE Compact grip module while I was at it. Those will go in the mail tomorrow and based on Springer’s prior turnaround times I should have them back with magwells installed in a week or two!

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Rudukai if you were to do it over again would you get the RX model first so you had dedicated front/rear sight then do the mods or would you do the Xcarry method again?

To be honest, I haven’t thought about the iron sights on these guns since I got them. My eyes aren’t great for someone my age - A red dot is without doubt the way to go for me. I wouldn’t have a problem using the RX models as a base for a similar project, but I’m more than comfortable without them on the X-Series pistols.

That said, everyone will have different vision/preferences. If irons work for your eyes, and/or you’re not yet comfortable depending entirely on the optic on a handgun, there’s nothing wrong with making an effort to retain them

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Of note, my plan for the ST320 will be based on a standard RX Compact slide assembly retaining the front and rear irons rather than another X-Carry. That has more to do though with barrel compatibility than the iron sights

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Meanwhile, Optics Planet has Apex flat forward-set trigger kits on sale for 26% off with free shipping, so...I ordered it. All of the parts to complete RS320B will be in my possession shortly

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Got to meet another shooter from the BEnos forums at the range today. He put some rounds through the RS320s, I put some rounds through his X-Five, we compared notes on P320s and a good time was had by all. He also mentioned the range’s upcoming steel challenge match on Wednesday the 22nd, which I’m thinking I’ll enter.

He also let me put a few rounds of Inceptor RNP 65gr +P Frangible ammo (this stuff; https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...-9mm-luger-p-65-grain-rnp-frangible-lead-free) down the pipe of RS320A to see how it ran with the comp, and HOLY RECOIL REDUCTION BATMAN! The comped topend really liked that stuff. Loud as hell but legitimately less felt recoil than a 22LR! I was a bit skeptical at first, considering way back when I first had RS320A completely put together I included some similar Inceptor ARX 65gr loads in my schmorgesborg of function test loads and it didn’t like them at all. Not sure if it’s just that the pistol has been broken in a bit more, or if the +P made the difference, but I think I’ll be picking up some more of the RNP +P rounds for fun range use as it really lets the compensator shine.

A picture of my first 100 round grouping through RS320A today, working mag changes and slidelock reloads, shot from the holster between 5 and 10 yards;

24BDFFC3-C7DA-4281-82E1-A4F44373C526.jpeg

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
45FF6C3F-2CC1-4E87-8B10-CAD052E5C5C2.jpeg

I love getting parts in the mail. Just need my ODG grip module back from Springer, get this Apex trigger installed and RS320B is done

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
There’s certainly nothing wrong with the polymer, I just prefer the feel and weight of metal for whatever reason. Especially if they make a compact version with the option for a magwell

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Still just waiting to get my modified grip modules back from Springer, then the Apex trigger will get installed and RS320B will be completed.

4C18B33C-D602-4A6B-A1C1-38A5FC767940.jpeg

With the completion of RS320B so close, my thoughts have begun turning towards this third P320 that’s just been sitting in the back of my safe for a while. This is the gun I want to base a frame-mounted optic build on. I had originally planned to use Carver Custom’s Universal optic mount (still waiting on the modified parts that would allow that to work), but I’m leaning more and more towards trying to find an alternate route that doesn’t use up the rail space and thus preclude the use of a WML.

I have this image in my head of what I actually want this gun to look like when it’s done - the problem is, nobody currently makes the parts that I’m envisioning, and I don’t have the money or pull in the industry to convince a company capable of it to prototype them for me...

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
96E8D300-F1BF-4479-B0B4-74D410A36E25.jpeg

RS320B inches closer to completion. Got my Springer ESP magwell’d ODG and FDE grip modules back and re-installed the ODG grip module on RS320B. All that’s left is to get the Apex trigger kit installed and get a precise zero. The FDE grip module is being set aside for a future build