Integrated White light/Green Visible laser unit.

Runcible

Runcible Works
Staff member
Vendor
How about a combo rail-grabber unit that resembles the Arisaka replacement Scout bodies and/or the VTAC light mount, that has a rail section milled into the claw-section found opposite side of the light ring?

A D- or halo-shaped shroud would prevent contact between a polymer-housing laser and the rest of the world, and access ports could be drilled for zeroing the unit and making follow-on adjustments. Modified lateral/vertical adjustment instructions could be laser etched or stenciled onto the shroud, to adjust for the 90'-off-level positioning of the unit. Depending on how the laser unit attaches, an additional hole might be drilled for tightening/loosening the rail attachment itself.

If using the VTAC light mount itself, then the small claw-section that is retained by the bolt would be replaced with the aforementioned, but the rest of the parts would remain as are. I can't speak to if there are any "holds zero" issues with this, but I imagine there'd be "return to zero" concerns unless one bumped it up to a LaRue'esque throw lever, with the cost increase associated with same.

http://arisakadefense.com/collections/light-mounts/products/600-series-light-body

http://www.vikingtactics.com/mobile/Product.aspx?id=37598

Runcible

Runcible Works
Staff member
Vendor
Extra to add: the above would straddle the top rail section, and like most MFALs would have the light to one side of a possible front sight tower; and the laser off to the other side - while not every LE carbine might be DRMO-derived, quite a few are.

After having browsed the LaRue offset scout mounts, a throw-lever using riff of the same would be advantageous, but would require a lengthened main body (the section that sits atop the rail section, and to which the throw lever is itself mounted to), so that the throw lever has sufficient space to swing through unimpeded, while still allowing for an integral but offset winglet with a rail section. Otherwise, there's a space conflict between them.

http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-tactical-surefire-scout-offset-mount

Runcible

Runcible Works
Staff member
Vendor
Draft, just lines.

Orange: top-rail and fixed front sight assembly.

Pink: payload - 1" body light and CT laser.

Dark blue: relatively(/if) unaltered light ring and half of the rail grabber.

Light blue: modified or scratch-built other half of the rail grabber, with a short section of 1913 rail milled into it.

Green: sacrificial shroud to protect and isolate less-expensive/polymer-house laser units, retained via bolts and slot.

Attachments

• Sci fi_10.jpg
    Sci fi_10.jpg
    630.9 KB · Views: 15
I think the answer here should end up looking a lot like the L3 MIPIM unit but with a green laser and a high power light. Either that, or have TNVC mate up a Steiner OTAL-A, a Unity Fusion hub and a light mount for a Fury or Scout Fury and a Unity TAPS switch.

Runcible

Runcible Works
Staff member
Vendor
I agree Dan, I believe a vis-only MFAL arrangement would be optimal - a slimmed down and relatively inexpensive PEQ-15B (the L3 iteration) -looking-thing...

However, until one of the larger companies takes on such a challenge and investment, we're left looking at how to make an intermediate option. Given the availability of CNC at the individual-level these days, an eccentric railmount for COTS options seemed more plausible to me at this juncture.

I guess one could always mate a MIPIM and light of choice using the Fusion system now. The problem is QD for those that have to get around issue rifle problems with their agencies. The problem is also cost. Integrating the light an laser into one unit with a dedicated mount is the ideal solution. WE need to poke a company like Wilcox or L3 pretty hard with a bunch of people to get movement. I see such a huge market for something like this product, both for LE and CIV markets. Having the ability to have an aiming laser is a force multiplier, and having the light built in is a bonus. if Surefire weren't being Douchebags lately, I would look to but a huge bug in their ear to join forces with L3 or Wilcox on this project. Fuck Wrist Lights, this is what the modern asshole fighter needs.

Runcible

Runcible Works
Staff member
Vendor
If only Surefire would give us the option to Crowdfund different projects, to better gauge interest from the market then forums and presales do...

But, G-contracts can provide at least more consistent business then the individual, so go figure.

I'd rather build a concept to poke the Bears (ie. Companies) then hope they read my mind - I'm at that point in finances where I can modestly afford to. :)

Longeye

Established
I guess one could always mate a MIPIM and light of choice using the Fusion system now. The problem is QD for those that have to get around issue rifle problems with their agencies. The problem is also cost. Integrating the light an laser into one unit with a dedicated mount is the ideal solution. WE need to poke a company like Wilcox or L3 pretty hard with a bunch of people to get movement. I see such a huge market for something like this product, both for LE and CIV markets. Having the ability to have an aiming laser is a force multiplier, and having the light built in is a bonus. if Surefire weren't being Douchebags lately, I would look to but a huge bug in their ear to join forces with L3 or Wilcox on this project. Fuck Wrist Lights, this is what the modern asshole fighter needs.

This is exactly the concept that needs to materialize. Whether it happens form Surefire, L3, BE Meyers, Wilcox or some upstart is immaterial. It just needs to happen.

I'm very interested. Been pondering this exact thing for awhile now, and don't need the NV capability of the units already in existance.