Integrated White light/Green Visible laser unit.

N

nate89

I don't have the CMR06, but I do have the CMR-04 and I have mixed feelings. The body is nice and compact, and although the light isn't very bright, it's small enough that I wouldn't feel bad about turning it to laser only and putting a scout on as well. My one problem with the Crimson Trace lasers is their mounting system. Even on a pistol, I could grab the body and move the POA of the laser all over the place. The thin screws holding everything in place do not inspire confidence either. I wish they would offer an upgraded mount as the one right now can be completely removed fairly easily.

Longeye

Established
Nate89-
Is that on a polymer frame pistol or on a steel frame? If poly, the flex was likely from the frame of the weapon itself.

Either way, I have a couple ideas in the works to address that- at least on a carbine.

Grayman

Established
I am extremely interested in this... Definitely a void in the market for this type of offering. Let me know when you need beta-testers!

N

nate89

It was on both a Glock and a Sig 226. I would also be interested in hearing about your solution.

Longeye

Established
Nate-
Thanks for the data point on the 226. That surprises me that a metal frame demonstrated that problem. Clearly, the CMR mounting system has some areas to address.

Runcible

Runcible Works
Staff member
Vendor
Perhaps it's a bit goofy, but given how the cost associated with rapid prototyping and small-scale metal CNC has gone down quite a bit; is it viable to try and build a new housing for some of these polymer-housed laser units? It'd add cost, complexity, and all sorts of other friction; but I thought it was worth asking.

N

nate89

Specifically for the Crimson Trace units, I would be interested in a rapid prototype of a new mounting system. I have been talking with a friend who works with AutoCAD, as well as SolidWorks, who was interested in trying to build a new mount. I was going to start measuring the critical dimensions of the CMR-04, and see about making a new mount to interface with pic rails.

Longeye

Established
Runcible,

That is Phase II. Right now the emphasis is on the getting the simple mount done for alpha work. It may start to fill the niche that Nate89 is alluding to.

That is all I am saying for now.

How hard would it be to get Wilcox to do a RAPTAR LITE with at green laser? That's essentially what we are all talking about here, right? White light, Vis laser, top rail mount, clears front sight post. Am I getting the gist here?

adam_s

How hard would it be to get Wilcox to do a RAPTAR LITE with at green laser? That's essentially what we are all talking about here, right? White light, Vis laser, top rail mount, clears front sight post. Am I getting the gist here?

Dan-that has been thought of some. The issue with the RAPTAR Lite is not just the laser, but also the vis light head being spectacularly low powered. That is due to the fact the unit is powered by a single CR123-thus not providing enough voltage to power a 500 lumen head (either a Fury, or TiR/Scout). The voltage draw for a green laser may even put a 300 lumen single cell head out of the running (don't have current draw specs for contemporary green vis lasers, so can't comment for certain).

You need 2x CR123's to meet the demands of a 500 lumen head, which means that a new body/unit would have to be designed.

Longeye

Established
Kinda like the problem with the Surefire Vampire head. They are a great idea, but being limited to 150 lumens of white light flat kills them for optimal use.

Similarly, the IR flood beam on a PEQ-15 is narrow enough that it is hard to search broad areas with. It is more of a spot beam, even at its most open setting. That has nothing to do with this project other than to illustrate that there is plenty of room for innovation in the low/no light tools realm.

Just a Q, but what about if there was a stand alone laser unit that had a mount for a light? I understand the whole switch thing, but with the TAPS coming out soon, you could integrate dual leads into the TAPS, and the light mounts to the laser body?

Again, just spitballing.

adam_s

Dan-that would be an interesting idea. Would you want screw bosses in the body where a SF Scout body would interface in, or some other method? Adding a ring for a normal light could get bulky...

I actually played with the alternative of that idea for a bit-having a Scout Body with integrated pict section for mounting a stand alone visible laser (like the Crimson Trace RailMaster). Issue with that became that MY choice for mounting angles, etc, may not work for someone else, leading to either having a rather kludgy body with multiple pict sections (ew), or being swiss cheese'd with screw bosses to mount a pict section.

I am kind of envisioning screw bosses for a scout body that would allow mounting the flashlight at the 11:00 position. Given how the scout interfaces with mounts, there would have to be an adaptor plate that allows one to screw the mount to the light body, and then screw the adaptor into the laser module. does this track?

adam_s

It does. The other alternative would be to supply longer screws with the laser unit, and have them bolt through the laser body, into the Scout. That would simplify things some-and simple is good.

Or, if the mounting interface was designed correctly, you could mount the light to the laser and then mount the combined unit to the rifle. kind of a little wing hanging over the side that you bolt the light to.

Either that, or build the unit to interface with a scout head.