Initial thoughts on the Sig Rattler

Erik

Amateur
I wanted to do a quick write up on an interesting concept from Sig. I managed several months back to score a Sig Rattler at a local FFL. Sourcing one proved to be harder than expected and in my home state of Arizona, I was only able to find two locations that had the Rattler in stock. Once I got it home I opened the box and found that the weight seemed to be heavier than the 5.2 pounds seen online. I am not sure if this is due to the added weight of the telescoping arm brace compared to the folding stock of the SBR version, but the gun seems significantly heavier than 5.2 pounds. The fit and finish are great the angle of the pistol grip is different than a standard AR-15 and lends itself well to the balance of such a short weapon system. With a 5.5-inch barrel and those that have any experience with K configured MP5’s the addition of a hand stop would be a major improvement. This would have been a nice addition to the civilian guns as the K configured MPX comes with one standard. The three-position pistol brace seems well constructed with some lateral play in the brace.

Shooting the Rattle at an indoor range would not be a fun experience for those in the bays next to you but luckily, I had the range to myself on the day of initial shooting. I was able to get decent groupings at twenty yards. (I am planning to take the Rattler out in the desert in the next week for longer distances as well as testing the platform suppressed.) The recoil was negligible from the 5.5-inch barrel shooting .300, one gripe that I do have for the rattler is the brace, it is uncomfortable and makes an otherwise manageable weapon system unpleasant to shoot. The braces telescoping design adds unneeded length (versus the side folder) and also gets into the way of the charging handle, with that said I will be SBRing my Rattler. In the meantime, I will most likely be swapping out the brace for a tail hook as I am iffy with the SBA3 using a carbine buffer tube. The trigger feels like a standard GI trigger and is nothing to write home about. The Ambidextrous controls are well thought out and comfortable to use in both strong and support side shooting.

Overall, I think the concept of having a piston driven .300 Blackout in roughly the same package length as an MP5K is an interesting one and with more units moving away from short barreled 5.56 is something needed. Some improvements I would like to see are the inclusion of a hand stop, a better pistol brace, and an improved trigger. At $2,719 MSRP the Rattler is not cheap and at this price point should come with a hand stop at least. The pistol once you throw concepts of comfort out the window is easy to shoot and recoil is manageable allowing for quick follow up shots. As of magazine compatibility, I have used the included Lancer magazine, GI, Pmag (.300), and they have all run flawlessly. In my opinion, the Rattler is a fantastic gun and with its two-position gas system screams to be suppressed.

0712181641b.jpg
(from TFB)
IMG_0322.jpg

rudukai13

Pro Internet User
Any way to get chronograph testing done? I'd be interested to see how velocity is effected vs a 9" barrel, particularly as it pertains to supersonic ammo. I imagine the subsonic heavy pills aren't much adversely effected from what amounts to a longslide pistol-length barrel

I’m very interested in the results of this, specifically on accuracy and reliability. What is the overall length with stock collapsed?

Erik

Amateur
I’m very interested in the results of this, specifically on accuracy and reliability. What is the overall length with stock collapsed?

Length of the SBR version is about 16 inches the Pistol version with the telescoping stock adds about 3 inches bringing the overall length to about 19 inches in its shortest configuration. I will let you guys know when I take the Rattler to longer distances, I can get some better accuracy data for you.

Erik

Amateur
There is a rumor going around that foreign military PSD attachments are buying up the Rattler along with contractors, hence why it is so hard to get commercially.

d576dea3fe36d03cb16028fa2e28e413.jpg

Had mine for a few weeks now and have just over 1k through it. 100% suppressed with the sandman k.
Agree with all of your assessments. I made 3 changes. Swapped the telescoping brace for the side folder with sba3, geissele trigger and CH. the oem ch is just too small.
Those 3 changes transformed it from a solid performer to a badass. Zero issues so far with everything from 110g to 220.
Accuracy seems solid. My vision is not conducive to shooting groups with a red dot but this held 1" at 50m which is as good as I can do without glass. As with every other 300bo I own the Barnes and nosler 110g was noticeably better on paper. Solid setup overall!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Low_Speed_Notper8or

Had mine for a few weeks now and have just over 1k through it. 100% suppressed with the sandman k.
Agree with all of your assessments. I made 3 changes. Swapped the telescoping brace for the side folder with sba3, geissele trigger and CH. the oem ch is just too small.
Those 3 changes transformed it from a solid performer to a badass. Zero issues so far with everything from 110g to 220.
Accuracy seems solid. My vision is not conducive to shooting groups with a red dot but this held 1" at 50m which is as good as I can do without glass. As with every other 300bo I own the Barnes and nosler 110g was noticeably better on paper. Solid setup overall!

What kind of velocity are you getting with 110s and that can?

And is it just me or does this look like some sci fi blaster

Erik

Amateur

What trigger did you end up going from with from Geussele? Was there any fitment issues? I too am switching my charging handle to something larger.

What trigger did you end up going from with from Geussele? Was there any fitment issues? I too am switching my charging handle to something larger.
MCX SSA Curved
It's not a normal m4 so you have to get that special version which actually comes with a block that fits it into the lower receiver. I'm no armorer but I seriously doubt a regular m4 trigger would work with any degree of reliability.
This one gives that crisp 2 stage clean geissele break we know and love

Erik

Amateur
MCX SSA Curved
It's not a normal m4 so you have to get that special version which actually comes with a block that fits it into the lower receiver. I'm no armorer but I seriously doubt a regular m4 trigger would work with any degree of reliability.

How is the Sandman K? I am stuck between this and the Wolf-9SD, The K configuration seems interesting to me as it does not take much away from the length but provides some protection when shooting indoors. Have you found the Sandman K to be hearing safe on the Rattler?

BooneGA

Staff member
WARLORD
MCX SSA Curved

It can be done. My local SOT did it in order to have a full auto MPX. The trigger works fine...the gun though...not so much.

How is the Sandman K? I am stuck between this and the Wolf-9SD, The K configuration seems interesting to me as it does not take much away from the length but provides some protection when shooting indoors. Have you found the Sandman K to be hearing safe on the Rattler?
It's close. I don't have a db meter but shooting supers outside with it my ears don't ring...but I already have damaged hearing. It takes the bite off but I probably wouldn't do it for extended sessions. To my ears (and a few buddies) this one sounds exactly the same as my sico omega 9k on both subs and supers.