Inherent Safety of Glock Pistols.

While putting a sight on my brothers M&P, I noticed something that I wanted to ask opinions on. When an M&P and other striker pistols are racked, the striker seems to be under 100% spring tension, and only made safe by the sear and striker block. It would seem to me that such designs are inherently less safe than the way a Glock trigger works, and how it utilizes a connector to fully cock the striker as the trigger is pulled, in addition to the other mentioned safeties. This really got me thinking as my current carry position is appendix and along with this style of carry comes another level of inherent risk when holstering and drawing, all of which can be over come of course. However, I have always been told that safeties are mechanical features that can and will fail, and while the odds of them failing may be low, it does seem like an interesting discussion. I can only assume that there are actual odds of a round going off due to safety failure and that they are higher when it comes to NON Glock and DA/SA pistols.

For what it's worth, I currently carry a DA/SA and this is my first post.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

spinmove_

While putting a sight on my brothers M&P, I noticed something that I wanted to ask opinions on. When an M&P and other striker pistols are racked, the striker seems to be under 100% spring tension, and only made safe by the sear and striker block. It would seem to me that such designs are inherently less safe than the way a Glock trigger works, and how it utilizes a connector to fully cock the striker as the trigger is pulled, in addition to the other mentioned safeties. This really got me thinking as my current carry position is appendix and along with this style of carry comes another level of inherent risk when holstering and drawing, all of which can be over come of course. However, I have always been told that safeties are mechanical features that can and will fail, and while the odds of them failing may be low, it does seem like an interesting discussion. I can only assume that there are actual odds of a round going off due to safety failure and that they are higher when it comes to NON Glock and DA/SA pistols.

For what it's worth, I currently carry a DA/SA and this is my first post.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Holstering is indeed one of those activities that invites some diceyness to gun handling. I’ve spent plenty of time thinking about whether some solutions (M&P vs Glock vs TDA vs LEM) are better than others. While I could be argued that a hammer gun or Gadget equipped Glock is safer to reholster than an M&P or Gadget-less Glock, I think it boils down to simply making sure nothing comes close to that trigger while reholstering.

That being said, personally, I like the additional layer of safety a Gadget or a hammer gives me while reholstering and, at present, will not carry anything that doesn’t have either because “why risk it when I don’t have to”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk