Improvements?

Andrew Y.

Outside Learning, plenty of dudes who are SMEs in non gun stuff. Get our learn on about camping, water filtration, electrical systems, land nav, photography, cooking, automobile prep, cold weather living, hot weather living, limited resource living, etc Whatever smart non gun dudes wanna share and not have it lost in the mix of derp

Fatboy

Established
I came in to suggest a way to disable the mobile chat box that autoloads because it slows things down and causes things to freeze up occasionally.

Thresher8-8

Amateur
You need more multicam, hook n loop & other brainwashing items! But seriously remember 90:10 ratio. The whole truth is 90% do 10% of the work. Mindset is the same ratio. You can't get thru to everyone. I continue to try but some are just not receiving the info provided. I have tried to give my guys good NVG info and how it can help them but they are shut down to most of it. Word of mouth WILL spread the word of the like minded!

leozinho

Well, since you asked...the modcast is more or less unlistenable.

I think the format is wrong. I listen in my car, and without the benefit of Youtube I can't tell who is who. There are six to eight people talking about random subjects and half seem to be there solely to chime in with some inside joke or reference to someone or thing that I've never heard of.

Then you have the guy (not Roland - i know his voice) that says 'fucking' every third word. If I recall correctly, he was going on about adult learning and how all the instructors are idiots, and yet he sounded unprofessional because he can't break or hasn't bothered to break the habit of using 'fucking' as a verbal crutch.

Lastly and most importantly - you guys will have to drop the condescension toward students/other cops/instructors that aren't in your inner circle. Some of the participants clearly have disdain for students. Since I can't tell who is who, I'm not sure which participants instruct and which ones are training junkies or cops/soldiers, but too many of them are dripping with superiority. It's a turn off.

With the current format I don't see the modcast taking off and driving traffic to this forum or any of P&S's services.

JUDAN

Well, since you asked...the modcast is more or less unlistenable.

I think the format is wrong. I listen in my car, and without the benefit of Youtube I can't tell who is who. There are six to eight people talking about random subjects and half seem to be there solely to chime in with some inside joke or reference to someone or thing that I've never heard of.

Then you have the guy (not Roland - i know his voice) that says 'fucking' every third word. If I recall correctly, he was going on about adult learning and how all the instructors are idiots, and yet he sounded unprofessional because he can't break or hasn't bothered to break the habit of using 'fucking' as a verbal crutch.

Lastly and most importantly - you guys will have to drop the condescension toward students/other cops/instructors that aren't in your inner circle. Some of the participants clearly have disdain for students. Since I can't tell who is who, I'm not sure which participants instruct and which ones are training junkies or cops/soldiers, but too many of them are dripping with superiority. It's a turn off.

With the current format I don't see the modcast taking off and driving traffic to this forum or any of P&S's services.

I have to agree with a lot of points made here. I personally was banned from the FB for having a different point of view on some aspects.

I feel that the podcasts need to be streamlined via like funker does.

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator
You weren't removed for having a different view, you were removed for providing bad info on a continual basis.

Matt Landfair

Matt Six Actual
Staff member
Administrator
As a medical practitioner, I would hope you would understand the vetting process for medical gear.

I'll add in my $0.02. First of all I want to say that I love what P&S is doing, you guys are a hidden gem in the firearms community. I don't know exactly who I'm thanking but I want to thank all of you who are a part of this. That being said, I do have to say a few things. I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings here but I have to be honest. I have to disagree with the above comments that the modcast isn't what drives people to the site because that was exactly what got me here. It was the modcast with docgkr about terminal and wound ballistics and I listened to all 3+ hours of it more than once and I was hooked after that. But, for me I have to admit some of the modcasts are a little too unstructured and it gets hard (phrasing) listening to a whole modcast sometimes. I don't mind if they're long (phrasing) but if I want to find a certain spot I left off at, or some specific information that I came across, it's near impossible unless I'm watching with a pen and paper (which I've done). I honestly have no ideas for a solution though so for now I'll just keep watching as I have been and suck it up. The bias towards certain brands and the scorn for others I don't really mind as long as it's kept relatively professional. I understand we all have disagreements from time to time so I get it. I disagree with team wendy for what they did and I'll never give them my money but that's where it ends because I know that they do make a good product. So I don't have a problem with that. I don't mind the swearing because we're (mostly) all men here (no offense to any women here) and we (mostly, except for the women here) all have balls. And because most of us aren't pussies. So I don't mind the swearing either. The only thing for me is organization, if something is organized it is more easily understood I feel like (unlike this post which has gotten out of hand) and I know it's a forum and all but if you guys could do that I think you'd be solid. Or even just a more user friendly search function because it's hard to navigate a forum if you don't know what you're doing (finger pointed at me). I don't know what everyone else is crying about but I think you guys are doing a great job and also an important one. Looking forward to seeing you guys grow in the near future and hoping to be a part of it as well.

jryock

Amateur
I'll add in my $0.02. First of all I want to say that I love what P&S is doing, you guys are a hidden gem in the firearms community. I don't know exactly who I'm thanking but I want to thank all of you who are a part of this. That being said, I do have to say a few things. I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings here but I have to be honest. I have to disagree with the above comments that the modcast isn't what drives people to the site because that was exactly what got me here. It was the modcast with docgkr about terminal and wound ballistics and I listened to all 3+ hours of it more than once and I was hooked after that. But, for me I have to admit some of the modcasts are a little too unstructured and it gets hard (phrasing) listening to a whole modcast sometimes. I don't mind if they're long (phrasing) but if I want to find a certain spot I left off at, or some specific information that I came across, it's near impossible unless I'm watching with a pen and paper (which I've done). I honestly have no ideas for a solution though so for now I'll just keep watching as I have been and suck it up. The bias towards certain brands and the scorn for others I don't really mind as long as it's kept relatively professional. I understand we all have disagreements from time to time so I get it. I disagree with team wendy for what they did and I'll never give them my money but that's where it ends because I know that they do make a good product. So I don't have a problem with that. I don't mind the swearing because we're (mostly) all men here (no offense to any women here) and we (mostly, except for the women here) all have balls. And because most of us aren't pussies. So I don't mind the swearing either. The only thing for me is organization, if something is organized it is more easily understood I feel like (unlike this post which has gotten out of hand) and I know it's a forum and all but if you guys could do that I think you'd be solid. Or even just a more user friendly search function because it's hard to navigate a forum if you don't know what you're doing (finger pointed at me). I don't know what everyone else is crying about but I think you guys are doing a great job and also an important one. Looking forward to seeing you guys grow in the near future and hoping to be a part of it as well.
I'd agree that some of the long ones are difficult to listen all the way through if you are looking for specific content based on the title. It may be beneficial to add keywords to the expanded description to cue people into what specifics, products, etc. might be contained in there. Also, it may be easier to navigate if there are bookmarks where significant change of topics take place.

I would like to stress that I really enjoy the forum and modcasts. It's nice to have a place to go ask questions or do research where people use critical thinking to respond appropriately and respectfully. Thank you for your time and dedication to making this a great body of knowledge.

ggammell

Does not pass up an opportunity to criticize P&S.
The mod casts are what brought me to the forum. I'm not on facebook at all so this is my access to the P&S community.

I don't sense he hostility toward students in the least. And it's not a family show so I don't care one bit about the cursing.

Sunshine_Shooter

Established
I think the "hostility towards students" comment was in regards to one fairly regular contributor who is not part of the P&S staff but a well known trainer. What I picked up on was a fairly isolated incident, and not indicative of P&S as a whole.

Grizzly

I think the perceived hostility is a result of taking humorous venting that is usually done in private and putting it out there for the world to hear. I've heard a few segments making fun of people for not knowing the latest technique or using a technique from 20 years ago etc. I don't think it really is hostility though. These guys make a living training people and you can sense they genuinely want to help make people better. So it is shame a few joking comments get twisted.

For example I was listening to one on the way to work this morning where there was a discussion about peoples use of the charging handle and clearing double feeds. Murdering students, tactical time outs and breaking fingers were discussed in what is clearly frustrated humor. Blowers jumped in and mentioned how people get whatever training they can and quickly the conversation turned back from "bashing" students to discussing how they were glad people were getting training. It ended well but I could see how prospective students or the students who had threats against their fingers made could take it poorly if they have a thin skin.

It has to be a hard line to walk. You don't want to tell these guys to not be themselves, because they bring hilarity and great knowledge but on the other hand you don't want to scare off people from getting training.

Naveronski

1) Thank God you dropped the super loud gunshot/bad rock music intro's.
2) Is sound level normalization a thing? Some speakers are loud, some are barely audible, and it's frustrating trying to find a reasonable db level.
3) When you start a new modcast/series, can you state date it's recorded during the speaker intro's? From what I can tell, podcasts are released on iTunes 3+ months after they are recorded.

jryock

Amateur
One of my favorite parts of the forum is when the professional firearm users (pro), MIL and LE, discuss what products are the gold standard and why. Then that discussion often expands to what components are not quite to that level, but still are trustworthy during moderate use. As a non-professional firearm user (non-pro), the average EDC dad, that needs to keep his family safe yet his budget in line, I appreciate being able to select a product that meets the needs of normal carry, frequent range and non-range training, and the occasional intensive training class.

I would like to see more of that discussion on both the forums and the modcasts; both the pro and non-pro listener would greatly benefit from it by knowing what the pros recommend and what to look for in a product. More cash for training (and diapers)!

Either way I'll keep on reading/listening and learning.