If you are a LEO, and visiting DC, and active on Instagram...

leozinho

...And are staying at a swanky hotel and want to brag about it to your IG followers, don’t post a picture of your pistol, blade, and flashlight with the hotel stationary (and tag the hotel on IG.)

It only takes one person to notice it and decide to notify the gov. You’d be surprised how quickly that can get disseminated, cause you don’t know who else might be staying or visiting that hotel.

If you are into taking pics of your blaster in semi-permissive environments, at least make your page private first ;).

leozinho

Go ahead and post us a link to that gem. Save us the google.

The account is now private. It wasn’t before. :confused:

I’m not going to name him. I don’t know if the person is even on here, but there are people here that know him.

The point is not to shame the person. The point is to urge us think before we post something. And further, if you’re not a trainer trying to sell classes and fill seats and you are just a regular cop, albeit a training junkie one, then why are you cultivating followers on Instagram?

To each his own.

chasnojm

I knew exactly what you were talking about just from reading the title. That brings up a good point about keeping a low profile or professional image within the context of social media. I know in certain MIL/LEO circles that the best social media presence is a no-presence. Being realistic, as we are a reflection of today's society, no community is immune to social media. That begin said, there is a [unfortunate] side of today's training message and marketed by some trainers/personalities is to have a heavy social media campaign to garner followers/prospective attendees. In all regards, I don't think that is a problem as long as you don't compromise integrity or professionalism. Does that mean you can't smile?, of course not. I think we can all see the line in the sand between having a good time doing our job and being a jackass of an instructor to make the internet laugh.

I am an end-user and attendee of training. I choose where to spend my unfunded dollars and uncompensated time. An instructor's "social media presence" can deter me from wanting to attend if all I see is "your mom jokes" or bullshit. Also if that instructor is called to be a professional witness in a use of force scenario, how is that going to be portrayed in a court?

I don't have all the answers, but I'm sure there's some dudes here that can fill in some gaps.

S/F,
Jack