I Need some knowledge on rewraping a safariland holster

Roach467

I have a safariland 6354do in multicam and Im trying to figure out how to remove the cordura so I can wrap it in a different camo. Searched the Internet but couldn't find any answers. Hopefully someone on here is willing to share some tips.

shoobe01

Established
Before they offered wrapped ones (or at least before I could find one) I did a wrap of a plain plastic one. It was... okay even with my best fabric spray adhesive. A few folds that suck, tried to come off, so I ended up soldering gun melting the edges of the plastic to the edge of the nylon and that did well.

I have never tried to remove but if I had to I'd try LIGHT heat (hell, leave it out on my front porch tomorrow morning and it may melt into a puddle!). and poke at some of the hidden edges. Do take it apart fully first of course also. Fabric goes under screws etc.

May I ask why you are trying to re-wrap instead of ordering a different one? Or, dying it maybe? Or... posting it here and other forums as a trade needed?

sawlaw1

Sell it, buy a better RDS holster, and then get that one wrapped in whatever you want by one of the companies that offers that service. The DO isn't compatible without modification with a lot of modern MRDSs. If you are doing it yourself with a plain kydex holster I suggest a fabric bonding agent like weldrod 77. Works very well with bonding fabric to different surfaces.

Roach467

Before they offered wrapped ones (or at least before I could find one) I did a wrap of a plain plastic one. It was... okay even with my best fabric spray adhesive. A few folds that suck, tried to come off, so I ended up soldering gun melting the edges of the plastic to the edge of the nylon and that did well.

I have never tried to remove but if I had to I'd try LIGHT heat (hell, leave it out on my front porch tomorrow morning and it may melt into a puddle!). and poke at some of the hidden edges. Do take it apart fully first of course also. Fabric goes under screws etc.

May I ask why you are trying to re-wrap instead of ordering a different one? Or, dying it maybe? Or... posting it here and other forums as a trade needed?

Thanks for the tips, personally I like to wrap things just a hobby of mine. I have that cordura and adhesive just curious if it was possible to rewrap a factory wrapped holster, but looks like it's better and less of a headache for me to just buy a new one unwrapped.

It's a good idea. I think it can be more useful to use Loctite Super Glue Gel. It's easier to bond something in tight places and it's waterproof. Or it's enough to use spray adhesive?

tact

I’ll just say I’ll never order a wrapped one again. It doesn’t stand up to heavy use.

shoobe01

Established
It's a good idea. I think it can be more useful to use Loctite Super Glue Gel. It's easier to bond something in tight places and it's waterproof. Or it's enough to use spray adhesive?

Ah, time for a little bit of ranting on glues.

For starters, just like I don't use (or suggest anyone else use) one lube for all things, or random lubes like motor oil for guns, I don't have one fallback glue. They have different purposes and capabilities.

I used not "spray adhesive" but (I think) Camie 378, as it's got good performance, but also is very safe. Specifically designed to not melt foams, it also means it won't maybe melt the substrate like the holster plastic. Spray is the delivery method, adhesive is something else.

Also, fabric and foam adhesives are designed to stretch and flex in use and as conditions change. Superglues are for very different needs. They dry very, very rigid, so only really work on rigid substrates. Ceramics, smallish steel things, and some resins work well. For other materials, they tend to detach over time and you end up with a sheet of cyanoacrylate resin, and two flexible but not-attached things.

I’ll just say I’ll never order a wrapped one again. It doesn’t stand up to heavy use.

I want details. What sort of failure did you encounter, over what sort of environment/timeframe?

I did the original wrapping – and subsequently ordered one wrapped – for the same principle as a helmet cover, to slightly reduce the shine and noise of sticks and so on whacking against a hard plastic thing. But... I don't wear mine as much as most of you all, so if it wears bad, thats good to know and pass around.

JLL2013

RDR Gear does wraps all the time and will not rewrap a 6354DO because its such a challenge to get the wrap off.
The 6354DO is in high demand due to scarcity; you could easily sell it and order a wrapped or unwrapped holster and not lose a dime.