How's it goin'?

Unobtanium

Just a little update and motivation. About 2 months ago, I looked in the mirror, and looked at the scale, and my heart sank. I was 204-205#, depending on the scale, and looking pretty soft. I vowed to get back in the gym and make changes. My diet went from shit, to "cooked or I don't eat it", most of the time. (I do not own a microwave, either). My work-outs went to 5-6 days a week. I began supplementing with Pyroxamine (a thermogenic) and CLA. The results?

I am down in weight (see picture), and my lifts are similar to when I started. I am still benching 100# dumbells for 6-8 reps (last set, might could hit more if I did that just after the warm-up), still deadlifting 315# for 6-8 reps, and my pull-ups are better and easier to hit. My arms are still the same 16" they were when I started, even though pants I literally could not squeeze into are now "need a belt..." material. I started in earnest about 10 days after I noticed this, around 4/19/15, when my supplements arrived and I got some good food in the fridge.

Here is what happened when I stepped on the scale, today.

22j4tw.jpg

Who else out there is putting rubber to pavement and getting it done? Lets hear it!

Nice work!

I dropped about 20lbs total when I changed agencies. I upped my cardio game substantially to do it. The biggest part was cutting my food intake and getting it cleaned up. I had to move from the powerlifter mindset to an overall fitness mindset. Eating clean was a big help, and it's amazing how much of a difference it makes when you eat clean. Food digests faster, you feel better, etc.

I am back onto the street full time, so I've gone back to my habit of going "full velociraptor" on the fridge at all hours, but my strength numbers are all back on the rise now that I've transitioned back to a powerlifting/heavy lifting strategy and away from a cardio-intensive lifting one. The trick is just sticking to the clean eating. Back to lunches of chicken and brown rice instead of burgers and fries.

ScottPM09

Outstanding job! I finally got a much awaited job offer that requires it's applicants to be in decent cardiovascular shape among other things. Being 6'3 on a good day and weighing 175 lbs, one would look at me and think I'm a runner.

Skinny does NOT mean in shape!
I've never enjoyed running, but over the past few months, I truly stepped up my game. Fortunately, my fiance is 100% on board with helping me get into shape (something to do with making HER more money maybe?) And has me eating right.

Currently, we are on a week long vacation in some of the mountains in New Mexico, which is quite a bit higher than our home in the ft. Benning area in georgia. Although this is our time to "relax", I decided there is no better training environment for running than right now. Once I got used to the elevation, I hit the treadmill (to avoid being stuck outside somewhere if I start falling out) and then later hit the pavement.

My story may not be as victorious as yours, but I figured I'd share since I'm feeling pretty damn good.

Keep it up and keep us posted!

Unobtanium

Good stuff! I'm down to around 185'ish in the mornings, now, lifts are still the same, and I have began training with a crossfit style group (not really crossfit, more bootcamp maybe? Lots of plyometrics and running).

jr1572

Amateur
I'm running again, but not as much as I was last year. I'm also lifting now due to the free Bowflex machine that was given to me.

I'm somewhere between 215-220. At my heaviest, I was 260. At my lightest, I was 180. I don't want to get that light gain because I got tired of hearing the Andrew Beckett comments.

JR1572

TheTick

I tore my hip apart over 2 years ago and was just muttering through until I finally got operated on June 20 last year. I went into surgery obviously out of shape at 5'10" and a soft assed 222#s. I spent 8 weeks on crutches and PT'd twice a day for what seemed like forever until finally getting cleared hot to weight lift again in the fall (no legs other than PT). I was off the street for 4 months and took 6 months after surgery to get cleared for SWAT.

I still can't lift heavy legs other than empty bars and stabilizing stuff, but I've made hella gains otherwise. I'm currently a completely different built 216# and feel stronger than I was before I even got hurt (sans legs, lol). Just a little more work to do before opening up the throttle on legs.

I'm motivated as hell and my wife climbs all over me again.

There are a few here who know of my issues (Bourneshooter, Grayman, Old Rotor head, Ranger5, may be others, too.)
2 weeks from today will be the 3rd anniversary of my first stroke, I've had 2 more strokes and 3 transient ischemic attacks since then. The first one had me totally paralyzed on my left side for 3 weeks. There are still lingering deficits from the first one. The second 2 were very minor with no additional deficits. I have had ulcerative colitis for the past 20 years and on April 7 this year I had my entire colon removed which eliminated the UC, removed the possibility of colon cancer and significantly reduced the risk of any further neurological issues. In spite of all that I am still able to train, and run, though not fast or graceful and it only vaguely resembles real running. End of August this year I will have the follow up surgery to return my internals back to a relatively normal condition and then be able to get back to my normal workout and training schedule (currently I am medically restricted to lifting no more than 20 pounds, large risk of hernias along the 12" scar from the first surgery). 5 years ago I was 225 pounds at 6'3"on a pretty small bone structure frame. Got down to 180 in a year and currently am 170 after surgery (I had dropped down to 155 a week after). All things considered I'm pretty happy where I am now. Tomorrow is always a better day than today.

Bourneshooter

Blue Line Sheepdog
Trying to gain balance of my strength.

Strict OH press is 145, push press 195 and C&J is 225 while clean is 245 and FS is 265.

I can Back Squat 335 and Deadlift 435 so I know my weakness is my OH presses. Its not fun to do OH lift's though for me so I don't do them enough.

Trying to do a balance of running/rucking 2-4 times a week in conjunction with heavy lifts to keep the overall fit to fight goals down.

At the end of the day, Biscuits and my love of them keeps me fighting to keep weight off.

Weight: 195
Height: 5'11"

Unobtanium

Be careful with your shoulders on the OH movements. Always sacrifice weight in favor of form. I learned the hard way. It took about a year to fully recover.

Just a quick follow-up of my post 1 month ago. Got the testing done last Friday to verify that my first surgery was successful, it was. Scheduled my second surgery yesterday for 9-1-15. This will reconnect everything internally and get the ostomy bag off of my belly. Can't wait for that. It's been 20 years in the making.

MojoNixon

Established
So I turned a ripe old age of 52 this past Friday and had my second surgery this morning. Everything went well and my plumbing resembles normal and I no longer have that torture device known as an Ostomy bag hanging off of my belly. I told the HH6 the other day that I would rather go through another 28 days of stroke re-hab than have this bag on for one more day than necessary. I can now get back into my workout routine to re-build strength in my stroke afflicted left side.
Since June I have put a very focused 1200 rounds through my Glocks in order to become more efficient at 25+ yards and to get my first round hits and pairs from concealment faster. Accomplished both. 1st round hits in June were a very mediocre 1.75' to 1.80' and are now consistently under 1.50' with a best of 1.39' with pairs now being as fast as my 1st shot hits were in June. Now I'm no gunslinger a la Roland, but for a broken down 52 year old survivor, I'll take it and move along with my training to improve further. Split times are where my biggest improvement will come from right now. Going to get it done. I want to be at 1.25' or better for first shot hits and under 1.50' for pairs by the end of this year.

Unobtanium

I have stalled out at 185# naked.

So what am I doing about it?

I started doing crossfit. No, I didn't drink any kool-aid, I just find the workouts very intense and think it will help me further my goals. So far, here is how my strength is looking:

Bench: Dumbells 100# 6 reps
Deadlift: 325 x 6 reps
Squat: 375 x 2 reps
Overhead press: 175#
Clean: 225#

I am trying to hit 180# body weight. I don't know my body fat percentage, but I have a 6-pack at this point, albeit not "hard line separation", it's more of the kind of 6-pack that looks shitty out in the sun, but in the proper lighting indoors is pretty darn impressive. Kindof that midway point between "hey, he isn't a slob" and "damn, dude lifts!"

Most of my work does not require extreme amounts of strength (healthcare), but it does help. Not nearly like a firefighter/police officer, and so my training is focused on health, function, and aesthetics maybe more than some other training routines.

My #1 hurtle right now is that crossfit involves a TON of olympic lifts, and I don't have the flexibility in my wrists for a lot of that, and so my wrists hurt every day. They told me in 6 weeks I would get over it. They watch our form very closely, and this isn't the kind of gym that flailing idiot YouTube videos come from.

How has everyone else been doing?

Unobtanium

So I turned a ripe old age of 52 this past Friday and had my second surgery this morning. Everything went well and my plumbing resembles normal and I no longer have that torture device known as an Ostomy bag hanging off of my belly. I told the HH6 the other day that I would rather go through another 28 days of stroke re-hab than have this bag on for one more day than necessary. I can now get back into my workout routine to re-build strength in my stroke afflicted left side.
Since June I have put a very focused 1200 rounds through my Glocks in order to become more efficient at 25+ yards and to get my first round hits and pairs from concealment faster. Accomplished both. 1st round hits in June were a very mediocre 1.75' to 1.80' and are now consistently under 1.50' with a best of 1.39' with pairs now being as fast as my 1st shot hits were in June. Now I'm no gunslinger a la Roland, but for a broken down 52 year old survivor, I'll take it and move along with my training to improve further. Split times are where my biggest improvement will come from right now. Going to get it done. I want to be at 1.25' or better for first shot hits and under 1.50' for pairs by the end of this year.
Man, that's great! Glad the ostomy reversal was a success! They educated us on the mental impact of having an ostomy, as well as the physical issues involved, but I don't think that's something someone can understand unless it is something they personally experience. I can still imagine that it's a helluva celebration for you, though!

Man, that's great! Glad the ostomy reversal was a success! They educated us on the mental impact of having an ostomy, as well as the physical issues involved, but I don't think that's something someone can understand unless it is something they personally experience. I can still imagine that it's a helluva celebration for you, though!
Celebration for sure. I can eat steak again. Went at least 10 years without one. The difficulty is as you say, unless you've had to have one, it's pretty tough to describe and imagine the issues involved and the mental stress of worrying if the seal will hold up for one more day of work. If the seal gives way, how big of a mess is there going to be, etc. Not to mention the just plain old discomfort especially on humid days, and the fact you can't carry appendix IWB with a bag in the way. The only happier days I've had were when my 2 boys were born and when I got married.
I have since been able to slowly put on weight and some muscle and am up to 170 from low of 155'ish. I am a serious flat belly again and if I had six pack abs before, I've now got a 12 pack from the first surgery and the foot long scar that it left right up the middle of my abs.