How to tell if NVGs are Govt Property

Nomad1

I recently was given two different NVGs from the grandfather-in-law who is a retired US Army lieutenant colonel. He worked private gov contracts in the early 2000s includings some visits to the sand box in a advising role. The NVGs he gave me are both working, a PVS14 and PVS7A. Both have NSN numbers on them, serial numbers, and contract numbers. I want to make sure before I celebrate like an idiot and start using them that they aren't "missing" from the gov's inventory anywhere. The PVS7 says it's expiration date was May '88 and the PVS14 is Oct '06.

thoughts? advise?

Oak City Tactics

Staff member
Probably looking too much into it. From a cop standpoint I have a hard time imagining the scenario where anybody even has the capability to practically investigate this to any conclusion. I don’t believe that any PBO got them entered into NCIC or anything like that. Celebrate the night. But if you are still worried DM me . It’s like all the folks selling 1911’s with USG markings. They are openly sold and 4473’s are filed and everyone knows where they came from at some point in time.

ffemt11b

If you know any LEOs maybe they could run the serial number in NCIC and see if they get any stolen property hits. Other than that I don't know.

Based Dude

The chances that they are still on someone’s property book and not written off as a field loss is extremely low

shoobe01

Established
Aside from the fact there are/were plenty of these sold to the commercial market from USG assembly lines with all the marks on them as described, the Mil has surplussed some night vision, without destroying it first. I am sure, because I had some (older, sold them since). For sure. Reputable dealer, came with all the DLA paperwork and it matched the NOD serials, etc.

My experience seeing both legit surplus/commercial and probably-stolen stuff is that if all the stickers are intact, it's probably GTG. People tend to try to deface the marks when stolen, esp as many of these items have just serial number stickers that are easy to remove. Not a for sure, but a helpful hint.

If you worry enough you want to be totally above board, get someone to run them through NCIC. It should be possible to do this at the local PD, without having a specific friend there (or PMing someone here who offers). Have heard of folks doing so for stuff like firearms they inherit/find, even a few who do CL transfers with the assistance of the PD. Never done it, but from what I have heard, as long as you call ahead to see if they have spare time, no problem.

Nomad1

Thanks for the input everyone! I have an MP buddy of mine who's going to run the numbers through NCIC for me. I appreciate the help!

chasnojm

The chances that they are still on someone’s property book and not written off as a field loss is extremely low

While this is true, its a half truth. The government might not be actively working to recover them, but should they resurface, the government will take action. A dude was caught and prosecuted on Camp Lejeune for selling 10 year old Sapi plates he found in the DRMO lot at Camp Leatherneck (Afghan).