How important is a plate carrier for a civilian?

locke1117

So I have been wanting a plate carrier for some time now. I have put a lot of thought into what I would need in a plate carrier and the type of plates I should get and in general my over all budget. I have been very close to pulling the trigger and making the purchase several times now, however, I am not sure how much I need to.

The question I would like to pose is; How important is it for civilians to own body armor? I'm not talking about if they should since I feel that any American should have the right to have body armor and firearms if they want to. More specifically I am wondering what you guys think on how much use most of us will get out of it.

I have a rifle I love and am happy with my handguns I own, I love the way my battle belt is set up (and this is very useful when I train), I even have a pretty sweet bug out bag. At this point a body armor is the only piece of gear that I would really want to have, I'm just afraid I will be wasting my money. Out side of an end of the world scenario I wouldn't use it other than to ware while training. I could see a use in a home defense situation, but then I'm not too sure I'd have time to put it on.

So what do you guys think? Is a plate carrier a worth while investment even for

Grizzly

So I have been wanting a plate carrier for some time now. I have put a lot of thought into what I would need in a plate carrier and the type of plates I should get and in general my over all budget. I have been very close to pulling the trigger and making the purchase several times now, however, I am not sure how much I need to.

The question I would like to pose is; How important is it for civilians to own body armor? I'm not talking about if they should since I feel that any American should have the right to have body armor and firearms if they want to. More specifically I am wondering what you guys think on how much use most of us will get out of it.

I have a rifle I love and am happy with my handguns I own, I love the way my battle belt is set up (and this is very useful when I train), I even have a pretty sweet bug out bag. At this point a body armor is the only piece of gear that I would really want to have, I'm just afraid I will be wasting my money. Out side of an end of the world scenario I wouldn't use it other than to ware while training. I could see a use in a home defense situation, but then I'm not too sure I'd have time to put it on.

So what do you guys think? Is a plate carrier a worth while investment even for
If you can afford a good one (aka support a good company) with out damaging your training budget go for it is my vote. But if you had to choose between a good pistol/rifle/martial arts class and a plate carrier because of budget reasons it seems to me like you are more likely to be helped in a bad situation by the class.

RallyMech

Amateur
Unless you're planning on doing shoothouse classes or competition with an armored division, skip it. You'll have a solid chunk of cash instead and that buys more training or gear you'll actually use.

I picked up my esstac daeodon a year ago, and have used it in 2 matches for giggles. Other than that, it just sits collecting dust.

MrMurphy

Aside from training or LA Riots part Deux ... little. I have issued and personal plates, but in LE use my threat is a bit different.

Mike_IA

Even in riots or your societal collapse vision of choice, I wouldn’t wear one unless I am a cop or otherwise have to for work. Armor is easy to spot and skylines you as something you may not be and don’t want to be confused as.

locke1117

Thank you for all the responses. You are all reinforcing what I was already thinking. Training is more important than gear when it comes down to it. I've also thought about the fact that in a grid down/riot/SHTF situation my main goal is to avoid conflict since I will most likely be unsupported. Moving fast a light could be considered an advantage here.

jnc36rcpd

For most self-defense and training scenarios, soft body armor is likely to be far more useful than a plate carrier. SBA can usually be worn concealed, covers more of the body, and protects against the the more likely threats. Even in training scenarios, your greater threat is some idiot to pops a pistol round laterally through the lane dividers at the indoor range and catches you in the side than an errant rifle round.