How do we grow?

Kain

I think that allowing only one post per 48 hrs for most users, unless that person was verified LE, Mil or other 'subject matter expert', would help cut down on 'noise', along with an option to put selected threads and subforums on ignore mode.

I think that would be counter productive in several ways, and would likely piss people off. Actually I know it would piss people off because you are censoring them to a degree. I get the idea, but I think a lot of ways the shit posting is pretty low here and people do tend to be very selective of their comments to a larger extent than others. Also, just because you are mil or LE does not make one know much of anything about guns, or tactics, or rights, or anything really. I say that having been around a lot of Mil and LE in my time, and seeing most know just barely the lowest common denominator, to include a number of forums who have LE or Mil who are worse than Fudds. SMEs are a different matter entirely, but even a vetted MIL or LE guy does not mean that they are going to give anything of value to the conversation any more than a turned on civie who has done their homework or has the means to train a lot and the brain to do some critical thinking. There are several SMEs or major instructors who really have some hinky concepts, one major instructor, I forget who now but he was big in some circles some years back, and preached that he carried cocktail mags, with alternating Ball and JHP because ball straight line penertrates auto glass, which it really doesn't as well as he claimed it to. I think one of the things that draws a lot of Mil and LE here is the fact that many don't know a lot of things and they want to learn. Just listening to Matt's comments, he had learned and changed a number of his opinions over the time doing this. To be able to do that, you need to have the means to engage in conversations, having to wait two days to ask further information or clarifcations, either will result in 5 paragraph essays of questions and frustion, or the forum going to snail mail for the sake of speed. Or shenanigans. Either way, I think it a bad idea and probably why no one has does it before.

CodyY

I run across a lot of cops on my lunch breaks and do my best to preach the gospel whenever I strike up a conversation. Did it yesterday at the lawnmower shop as a matter of fact.

I almost feel like I need a business card to hand out

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You can't ignore antis and Fudds. It's a huge pain in the ass teaching them (arguably, Fudds are worse), but it's well worth having them be properly educated compared to being wholesomely ignorant. My experience is that sometimes it's more fun to teach someone who knows nothing than trying to properly educate those that know it all.

Longinvs

Quantified Performance
You can't ignore antis and Fudds. It's a huge pain in the ass teaching them (arguably, Fudds are worse), but it's well worth having them be properly educated compared to being wholesomely ignorant. My experience is that sometimes it's more fun to teach someone who knows nothing than trying to properly educate those that know it all.
On that note too if we’re the one’s that take out the antis or the people on the fence to shoot they’re much more likely to have a good experience instead of some jack ass taking them out and putting them behind some deagle/500 s&w/other stupid caliber that said jack ass then puts on youtube, galvanizing the other’s opinion against guns forever.

Kain

I would add that as gun owners, as those who are more, let's say protective minded, teaching someone can be instructional in your own learning. I have at times learned more in teaching then I did in doing. And also getting them out there and de-demonizing the tools does help our side, It is just getting others out there. I mean, how many people have you run into who are scared of even just holding a gun? And on Longinvs' point, there is a fair number out there who do do things to leave sour tastes in people's mouths, shenanigans with new shooters does not help. I generally subscribe to starting with basics, and either a manual operated .22lr rifle, or a .22lr pistol or revolver, I like my Ruger Single six for pistol side, just because being single action if I get the "oh shit loud noise and spin" person I have lower likelihood of being shot. Also, revolvers eliminate chance of railroad tracks.

On that note too if we’re the one’s that take out the antis or the people on the fence to shoot they’re much more likely to have a good experience instead of some jack ass taking them out and putting them behind some deagle/500 s&w/other stupid caliber that said jack ass then puts on youtube, galvanizing the other’s opinion against guns forever.

Pre-fucking-cisely. I've stopped that, right before the trigger pull, more times than I care to count.