Home Defense: Carbine vs Shotgun vs Pistol

03humpalot

Amateur
I have both a quality DI 5.56 AR and a 12 Gauge available at all times. I have no issues rolling with either of them. If im alone, its the AR. If the wife is home its the guage and she runs her AR. Shotgun is for both dudes and big pissed off grizzly bears. My bedroom window/door that goes nowhere is directly above the front door. If they are still beating in the door they catch 1oz slugs, OO Buck and or 5.56 projectile shampoo's...if that doesn't work we are working on a hot vat full of tar ;). Same goes for in the house. No kids so not worried about multiple loaded weapons around the house.

MrMurphy

Pistols as a first line of defense in a quick access safe. Small kids in the house, and having a free hand is good.

Given another 30 seconds reaction time, ARs for me and the other half with the standard lights, slings, etc. I'm considerably better trained than she is, but she's a veteran and especially at the longer ranges is an excellent shot. I've got far more time working close-in problems, but another trained shooter to cover the other angles is a good thing.

Turkishroy

For me, in my situation and level of experience I keep a pistol handy. Usually whatever I've been carrying ( VP9 these days ) ends up with a weapon light and a spare mag handy. I honestly don't have a great deal of run and gun experience with my AR ( lack of appropriate ranges for that and suburban surroundings ) so my level of confidence using my AR in a high stress situation is pretty low. Add to that the tight maneuvering spaces on my upper floor and the circular floor plan of my down stairs I'd rather have the pistol I shoot competitively with monthly or bi-monthly, than with an AR I shoot on static ranges with about once every couple of months.

I don't feel under gunned either. There isn't a space in my home that reaches farther than 15 yards and an upper thoracic/CNS/brain vault hit and follow up is a walk in the park at that distance. On top of that I spend most of my competitive matches ( IDPA ) shooting from and around cover so negotiating doorways and corners is much more in my wheel house with the handgun.

In cases of civil unrest/ emergency state/ natural disaster I have my AR loaded up, Saker attached, and a Gcode/HSP D3 double magazine carrier on a paddle that snaps right on my belt in a few seconds. As mentioned before I feel as though the AR is more of an advance notice situation rather than a bump in the night, or at least for me in my living situation.

Bourneshooter

Blue Line Sheepdog
For me, in my situation and level of experience I keep a pistol handy. Usually whatever I've been carrying ( VP9 these days ) ends up with a weapon light and a spare mag handy. I honestly don't have a great deal of run and gun experience with my AR ( lack of appropriate ranges for that and suburban surroundings ) so my level of confidence using my AR in a high stress situation is pretty low. Add to that the tight maneuvering spaces on my upper floor and the circular floor plan of my down stairs I'd rather have the pistol I shoot competitively with monthly or bi-monthly, than with an AR I shoot on static ranges with about once every couple of months.

I don't feel under gunned either. There isn't a space in my home that reaches farther than 15 yards and an upper thoracic/CNS/brain vault hit and follow up is a walk in the park at that distance. On top of that I spend most of my competitive matches ( IDPA ) shooting from and around cover so negotiating doorways and corners is much more in my wheel house with the handgun.

In cases of civil unrest/ emergency state/ natural disaster I have my AR loaded up, Saker attached, and a Gcode/HSP D3 double magazine carrier on a paddle that snaps right on my belt in a few seconds. As mentioned before I feel as though the AR is more of an advance notice situation rather than a bump in the night, or at least for me in my living situation.

Well thought out based on your experience with each system.

Bourneshooter

Blue Line Sheepdog
My home defense is a AR out of the safe in "patrol car ready" which is loaded mag, empty chamber off safe.

Nightstand gun is a G22 with 22 round mag and a U boat with DG switch. I wear that pistol the rest of the time.

d2fa81cdd81a21098068016a3a164f80.jpg

As my kids get more mobile the gun stays in a ALS retention holster to ensure they can't get to it.

I use a headlamp to do all the light needing tasks at night - diaper changes of the baby for example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Munch520

Suppressed 10.5 or 11.5" SBR for me. SBR sits on a shelf within reach unloaded, mags in drawer safe right next to pistol. Kids in the house so keeping these under lock and key is of course imperative. Figured the drawer safe allows for that, but also allows me to get the long gun up and running pretty quick.

Thanks to Doc and other SMEs for sharing their knowledge on this, helps all of us harden up our homes. Can't think of anything worse than having to defend it.

Like I always say in these "HD themed" discussions, the guns are important to me but the other layers of security are just as much so. Cameras, alarm, lights, dogs, etc. are all there alert me in advance. I don't count on it stopping anyone but it'll give me a few seconds to make ready.

Andrew Y.

My home defense is a AR out of the safe in "patrol car ready" which is loaded mag, empty chamber off safe.

Nightstand gun is a G22 with 22 round mag and a U boat with DG switch. I wear that pistol the rest of the time.

d2fa81cdd81a21098068016a3a164f80.jpg

As my kids get more mobile the gun stays in a ALS retention holster to ensure they can't get to it.

I use a headlamp to do all the light needing tasks at night - diaper changes of the baby for example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why do you have the ranger band around the grip?

Lutz501

Amateur
Bit of a thread necro but I've got a question for you all. After scrolling through I liked what I read but here's the problem what about those of us that live in the Democratic People's Republic of California? (moving won't be an option for another few years but believe me, it has been considered)

My options are: An 16" AR in a featureless configuration with 10rd mags, a Gauge that cannot have detachable mags , or a Service pistol also with 10rd mags.

Currently I have a mossberg loaded with 00 (can't get my hands on any #1 but I'm trying) with a sling, shellcard, and surefire light forend. I have enough experience with the shotty that I feel comfortable with it but the boss lady has much less trigger time and is often home alone at night due to my work schedule. If laws were different I'd buy her a 14" canned AR tomorrow but unfortunately that's not the case.
Any input is appreciated.

RallyMech

Amateur
A semi-auto shotgun is probably your best bet in California, and 5+1 (or more) rounds of #1 or 00 Buckshot is generally enough party if attackers drop by. 12ga vs. 20ga was discussed in "The Gauge" (
) for smaller statured shooters. I highly recommend watching/rewatching that episode for some ideas.

Training is going to be the key regardless of what firearm you choose. Even a 14" canned AR is useless if she isn't comfortable and competent with it.

Wrench

I concur with Matt, 30rds on tap with a quality modern assault sporting rifle (Ar-15) is what I would use and recommended all day. Especially after your modcast on Ballistics, that was a very informative vid.

McQueen

A modern levergun in 357 might be something to think about in restricted states. The Marlin 1894CSBL would be a sweet little setup with a red dot, Midwest's Lever Rail, and a light.

Reactions: 22F

AOBrien

Does anyone have a recommendation on a 5.56/.223 round that doesn’t do much after busting through drywall? Due to the configuration of my house, as I leave the doorway of the master bedroom I am aiming at my daughters room/bed. The AR being used is in a 10.5” configuration.

BooneGA

Staff member
WARLORD
Does anyone have a recommendation on a 5.56/.223 round that doesn’t do much after busting through drywall? Due to the configuration of my house, as I leave the doorway of the master bedroom I am aiming at my daughters room/bed. The AR being used is in a 10.5” configuration.

I have shot 55gr m193 and 62gr M855 through drywall houses and both broke up and only left small fragments in the next room. With what I have seen as long as you stay away from rounds designed for barrier penetration most rounds should break apart and cause minimal over penetration issues. My evidence is anecdotal though - maybe someone else has some hard data?

Rick

Kain

If an AR is castrated and a shotgun too big, the new Ruger PC9 might be worth it in CA. 10 rounds of 9mm with a quick reload, light, and a dot scope is nothing to laugh at.

While that is true. I think there is something to be said for the Ares defense SCR in that regard as well. Even if limited to 10 rounds, I'd rather hit with ten rounds of 5.56, or even 300BLK than 9mm all things being equal.

MrMurphy

Ares is vaporware.... I've seen ONE (1!) Of any of their products anywhere....ever. The Ruger is available immediately.