Holster selection considerations- AIWB with X300U

Door

I’ve just got my hands on an X300U and I intend to use it for AIWB carry. I’ve never carried anything quite this large before- I’ve been carrying an M&P 2.0 Compact with an Olight mini (I know), so this is a big jump in size.
Much of the time I carry, maybe 50%, is in a vehicle or otherwise sitting.
For that reason I tend toward the highest ride possible for my holsters- I do not want the gun digging into my groin, and in the holster i currently use I can get it high enough that length is a non-issue. Obviously the story with the X300u is going to be pretty different.

I’m inclined to just hunt for the highest ride height, but that may be futile. Besides just wearing my pants higher, what features should I be looking for to minimize the longer holster digging into my groin? I’ve noticed some holsters just have a section sticking out for the light i e Bravo concealment, while others like the Spotlight run all the way out to the end of the light. Does this extra surface area help in some way?
I’ve also heard some people claim they have an easier time carrying with bigger lights, though I’ve never understood why. Could someone explain what might make it more comfortable?

Attachments

• 742B61E7-E439-426D-AFBA-634EED37C021.jpeg
    742B61E7-E439-426D-AFBA-634EED37C021.jpeg
    605.4 KB · Views: 43

Dylabeatus

In reference to your question about holsters like the bravo vs spotlight, I’ve personally found the larger holsters to be a bit more comfortable. I think it’s because it spreads the pressure over a larger surface area and reduces hot spots.

The larger lights hide better because it creates more leverage lower down. When the longer light is pressed against your leg, it effectively holds the back of the gun (not necessarily the grip, that’s the job of a claw) closer to your stomach and keeps it from tipping out. Add a wedge feature that many manufacturers are now using and it achieves this even better.

In my opinion, holsters should have a wedge of some type, whether molded or added, down by the muzzle and a claw on the grip-side of the pistol that presses against your belt to hold the end of your grip tighter to your body.

Helios

You should be looking for a Spotlight or Floodlight ;)

Seriously though, the surface area helps. That's why Jon stuck with the G34 length when he designed the TLR1-HL Floodlight. More surface area means that the pressure against the body is spread over a larger area. A wedge of some sort tends to have the same effect while also aiding concealment.

The increased comfort of larger lights mentioned is partially due to the same thing, along with the fact that more length below the belt gives it the leverage needed to push into your gut instead of trying to dig through your pelvis. This also aids concealment because it prevents the holster "rolling" out.

I imagine Claws/wings ar3 already obvious at this point, regardless of rather you're using a WML or not, but they aid in trucking the grip, and good ones help prevent rotation of the holster for a consistent draw.

The most important bit though is that the holster sufficiently protects the trigger. A lot of light bearing holsters are so open that you can pull the trigger with the gun fully seated in the holster.

FWIW, I carried my G34 with an X300U in a PHLster Spotlight for 48 hours straight while driving from Mississippi to Las Vegas in February of last year.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Erick Gelhaus

Staff member
For AIWB with a X300U, I've used Armordillo XFer, Bawaidamann Gotham, and JMCK AIWB. I'm happy with each for different reasons. The XFer and the Gotham allow to use pretty much any pistol as long as it's with a X300U, though the are ambi; the JMCK is specific to the left hand carry of a M&P with the light & it has a pretty comfy foam wedge that aids in keeping it where I need it & concealing it.

Fwiw, I started with AIWB back in '13.

There are other designs out there; however, by this time if the company appears to focus on right hand Glock designs it's hard for me to pay much attention to them.

Nate Osborne

NateMac
Staff member
Re. ride height

Although it might be counter-intuitive, many times I find that a longer, not shorter, holster to be more comfortable for AIWB. Holsters made by Dark Star Gear and JM custom kydex (among others I am sure, they are just the ones I have personal experience with) have options for an XL length for shorter barreled guns with the 43, 365, etc. I have found that my 226 holster is much more comfortable than my 229 holster, for example.

My understanding is the longer design allows the gun to follow your leg and ride next to it, as opposed to canting in and digging into your leg when sitting down. I have found that to be the case for me. So I wouldn't necessarily look for a higher riding holster, even with an x300u on, I still have my holster set up just high enough to get a full firing grip on the gun while still in the holster, and I don't want it any higher. Just my experience.

JPitts0117

Raven vanguard 3. I guess that is you don’t mind the slide against your body. Mine has the pull the dot strap and I find it very comfortable

tmart556

Before I got an X300u for my HK P30, the holster profile for the gun without the light would cause the gun to consistently almost cut into my leg. When I got the Surefire I decided to go ahead and get a Floodlight and immediately noticed that the added surface area and length of the holster made it more comfortable. Another thing I noticed is the combination of the claw and the profile of the gun with the light seems to act as a wedge to help further conceal the gun as well as make it just a little more comfortable. While I currently only have experience with the Floodlight, I'd say the members and mods that are recommending a longer, wider holster are on to something.

Wildcat

After examination of both the Spotlight and Floodlight, is one better than the other? As of right now, I am not carrying anything outside of a G17 or 19. I love the built in wedge and claw of the Spotlight, but dont know how I feel about the soft loops, due to ignorance. I love the ability the change ride height and ability to change loops to clips of the Floodlight.

James W

After examination of both the Spotlight and Floodlight, is one better than the other? As of right now, I am not carrying anything outside of a G17 or 19. I love the built in wedge and claw of the Spotlight, but dont know how I feel about the soft loops, due to ignorance. I love the ability the change ride height and ability to change loops to clips of the Floodlight.

I prefer the Spotlight, but I like the soft loops so any other attachment method doesn't play into my decision. I get a little extra play with the Floodlight I don't get with the Spotlight. Both feel very secure when the gun is fully seated in the holster, but the Spotlight eliminates any side-to-side or forward-back play almost as soon as the X300 engages the light channel in the holster.

I still like my Floodlight and carry a 2011 the vast majority of the time in it. But on occasion I do go back to my Glock 19, and when I do, I use the Spotlight.

Longinvs

Quantified Performance
Soft loops are my personal favorite because of the security they offer. The Floodlight's flexibility is cool, but I found the dedicated Spotlight to be more comfortable and conceals a bit better.