Holster Search

JamesH

Amateur
Ran a search, came up empty handed.

Looking for a new holster set up, which would be straight forward with the plethora of information available on this forum, however I have to comply with state legislated policy.

The issue mainly pertains to:
(4) The holster must
(a) have a retention device that is integrated with the holster, and the device must be engaged;
The understanding is that it must be active retention.

My requirements are that it must be able to be worn strong side IWB, mainly for a Glock 19.
Thumb breaks are fine, but are a pain.
Leather is a no go.
I am happy for an existing holster to be modified.

I currently use an ALS, however with my build it does not conceal when not wearing a big jacket.

I have used custom made kydex holsters that used a thumb break, but they left a lot to be desired, this may be due to the manufacturer.
The Safailand GLS IWB model seems like it would fit the bill, however I haven't seen much in the way of reviews for it.

JamesH

Amateur
To add clarification to my last (as I cannot figure out how to edit it), there are multiple options that are better than what is described, I just don't have that as an option at current.

Fatboy

Established
It would be nice if somewhere out there was an IWB ALS holster for guns with and without lights. Your best bet might be scavenging an older ALS system (like the Safariland 6354DO type that is side mounted) and finding a custom index maker to experiment.

If you find a solution, I'm interested in hearing about it.

voodoo_man

Established
So "active retention" has to be manually activated or can it passively activated?

There are holsters which have trigger guard retention where a glock will "snap" into place and it requires an equal amount of force to remove it.

JamesH

Amateur
So "active retention" has to be manually activated or can it passively activated?

There are holsters which have trigger guard retention where a glock will "snap" into place and it requires an equal amount of force to remove it.

Friction is not a retention device according to our legislation, the retention must be manually defeated to draw.

JamesH

Amateur
It would be nice if somewhere out there was an IWB ALS holster for guns with and without lights. Your best bet might be scavenging an older ALS system (like the Safariland 6354DO type that is side mounted) and finding a custom index maker to experiment.

If you find a solution, I'm interested in hearing about it.

I thought about that, but the ALS is quite large (width wise) when it comes to IWB and I'm not sure I would gain much from wearing it IWB.

Longeye

Established
When policy runs counter to common sense, it seems like big boy rules should be applied.

That said, if you are uncomfortable with that level of initiative, give the GLS a try. Safariland is in my top ten list of companies that produce thoughtful, well executed, shelf stable products based on solid concepts.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

JamesH

Amateur
When policy runs counter to common sense, it seems like big boy rules should be applied.

That said, if you are uncomfortable with that level of initiative, give the GLS a try. Safariland is in my top ten list of companies that produce thoughtful, well executed, shelf stable products based on solid concepts.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Big boy rules should apply, I agree with this - but in this case it is not feasible. Initiative was tried once before and it did not end well for any party involved.

It looks like the GLS is where I need to be. I will get one and report back.

Don't I know it. If it wasn't a legal requirement I wouldn't be searching for it.
I've used Safariland rotating hoods on a couple OWB custom builds. Can't imagine it would be a great IWB feature. Thumb breaks on kydex are usually pretty crappy I expirmented with them and shit canned the idea. Happy hunting.

JamesH

Amateur
I've used Safariland rotating hoods on a couple OWB custom builds. Can't imagine it would be a great IWB feature. Thumb breaks on kydex are usually pretty crappy I expirmented with them and shit canned the idea. Happy hunting.
I very quickly came to the exact same conclusions about the thumb breaks you talk about. It was almost like they are too rigid - I wonder if anyone has done something with a nylon strap on a kydex holster? The strap would be thinner and print less, but also be more comfortable. I think I might go butcher a holster to test this...

I very quickly came to the exact same conclusions about the thumb breaks you talk about. It was almost like they are too rigid - I wonder if anyone has done something with a nylon strap on a kydex holster? The strap would be thinner and print less, but also be more comfortable. I think I might go butcher a holster to test this...
On the ones I made the "break" portion was kydex and the strap was the rubberized webbing I use for PTD loops. Snaps were sourced from a leather supply co. I will still do them on request after I explain why I don't like them.

JamesH

Amateur
On the ones I made the "break" portion was kydex and the strap was the rubberized webbing I use for PTD loops. Snaps were sourced from a leather supply co. I will still do them on request after I explain why I don't like them.
Good to know, did they add unnecessary bulk/do you have a photo that you would be willing to share?