Holographic Reticles.

Farmboy20

I’m currently in the market for a holographic sight for a 556 14.5 upper im in the process of getting pin and welded. 95% of my long guns have lpvos from 1-6/1-8/1-10s. I have one vortex huey and a holosun. I love the vortex huey for speed and ease of use especially up close with the cqb triangle, but out past 150yrds the lack of bdc hurts. I’m looking at the eotech with two dots or 4 dots, or something i can zero at 100yrds and it can get out to 300. Any advice or suggestions would be really appreciated.

pointblank4445

Established
but out past 150yrds the lack of bdc hurts.
100 yard zero that what all my rifle’s use

If I had but one take-away from Chuck's No-Fail rifle it was that: "The zero data IS the training"
7f778ccc-b5e8-4763-9f01-d65ff3b5aaba_text.gif

in that understanding YOUR impacts for YOUR zero, with YOUR gun shooting YOUR ammo can all vary greatly because of a myriad of factors beyond the assumptions of the various industry zero dogma (insert the "only bad zero is the one you don't know").

I was a dyed in the wool 100y rifle zero guy myself. Now, the zero should be a case-by-case basis depending on average range of use, target size, accuracy/margin of error, and so on.
It surprises me that you're having difficulty at 150y in a 100y zero (but given the above, and what I've seen in my guns compared to conventional wisdom, I don't doubt you could have a potential issue)

It may be worth playing with a 50y or 200y zero (as there often is some minor variance) and see IF changing your zero for this particular gun allows you MORE freedom with your dead-on hold than with the 100y zero. With a few of my guns, I have swapped to zeroing at 50y as I can no longer trust my eyes with even a 2 MOA dot and astigmatism. You may potentially find that the potential offset at 100y may be more acceptable given what you could potentially get back at 150-300 or at closer ranges...but you got to get out and know exactly what your system is doing for sure.

Farmboy20

Roger that! I’ll get some more ammo on the way and test away. And report back when results are in.