Hodge Defense Systems.

jim hodge

For those who know me, I like keeping a unassuming presence. I have been asked to give you a bit of info about my company, and products. It's a bit long...

Just a regular dude, I guess, did some Law Dogging for a major department starting in 89, then Gov Contracting for more than a dozen years. Rode some coat tails on some great guys, and great timing, was able be a part of some really cool stuff. I still play with the gov from time to time, but sparingly. Over the past decade, I have consulted for some major manufactures on designs and performance while staying behind the curtain. 2 years ago my wife told me "enough" of your travel, and giving all your buddies your good ideas, time for you to start your own.

Have you ever been down range, board out of your skull, and looked at your issue rifle and thought, "if I was king"? Did it all the time. Well, this was my muse. I wanted to approach this industry in the spirit of the counter "Tactical", and have fun. Too much darkness, death, Velcro, and ninjas stacking on doors....myself, and my customers had been there done that. I wanted to create a carbine that was not Gucci, did not scream "I have the biggest Johnson" on the range, just the best I could do with the experience, materials, and relationships I had in the industry. It's a carbine I don't appoligize for being expensive. It costs a crap load of money to achieve the spec I was chasing.

I hear all the time, "I can build that for less"... My response is always, if you can do it to the exact same spec, and pay all the costs of doing business, and make a profit for me and my dealer, then...cool, do it. Fact is my rifles are expensive, because they cost me a ton to build them.

Currently I have two rifle offerings. AU MOD-1, and the AU MOD-2. Both operating systems are the exactly the same, the differences come in the way of material, forgings, and ambi controls.

Let's start off with what is common:
BARREL: 16"-14.5"-12.5" CHF Barrels. In the past, I have used 4150 CMV CHF CL Mid Gas, Micro Pinned Block, Gov Wt. Currently, my new bareels will be 9310H Modified steel, flake CLing, Mid Gas, Micro pinned block, and an slight taper type profile. Maintaining the same weight of a Gov profile, just moving a little more mass rearward...not much though.

BCG: M16, 9310 HP, MP tested, shot peened, staked, nitrite.

Trigger: ALG QMS...can I put a "high speed" expensive trigger in it?, sure but it won't be as bomb proof.

Selector: 4150 Bar Stock. No shit, machined from a billet.

Receiver Extension: 7076t6 Impact Extruded, 6pos.

Buffer & Spring: Standard "H", with a spec carbine spring.

Take Down Pin, and Pivot Pin: .030 longer and dimpled for easier use.

Forward Assist: Tear Drop 4140 Bar Stock, yup again, from billet.

Flash Hider: A2... My rifles are built to run with a can...can't speculate who has what.

Stock: Magpul SL

Grip: Magpul....I bounce back and forth between, the SL, MOE+, and the K2+.

Barrel Nut: Titanium

Mag Button: Billet

Springs, and Detents: Mil Spec, though I use SS roll pins not spring pins.

Castle Nut: Mil Spec, staked

Gas Tube: Mid SS

What is different:

MOD-1 (2,250 retail)
Receivers: Mil Spec Forgings in 7075t6, cut to my specs.

Forward Rail Assembly: 7075 13 5/8 MLOK. Mega Arms, and I had a true collaboration on this project. We both worked on this from concept to finish, materials, testing, etc... My offerings will be in 11.5, and 13 5/8. Mega's rail looks a little different, though will still be in 7075, and more length options.

Charging Handle: Been using BCM's, though thinking on switching to Mega's Ambi.

Bolt Catch: Slightly over sized high carbon, and quality MIM. It's actually supposed to be for a .30 cal type of rifle.

Mag Catch: Mil Spec

Trigger Guard: Magpul MOE

MOD-2 (2,650 retail)
Receivers: Forged, AlLi, enhanced dims (little thicker in the upper round), Lower mass added between the receiver ext, and grip, very slightly flared mag well, integrated trigger guard. Lower has right side bolt release, and a lower shelf for a Norgon ambi catch. Uses a SS threaded fastener for the bolt catch. Both receivers are reverse compatible with any Mil Spec parts, uppers, and lowers.

Forward Rail Assembly: Same as above, though in AlLi.

Charging Handle: Badger Ordnance Ambi, forged

Bolt Catch, 4150 Bar Stock, modified design.

Mag Catch: Norgon

Now, AlAi...... To keep this as simple as possible, it's lighter, stronger, more corrosive resistance than 7075. By what extent?, it's all about how you cut it. On the avg.,using the same dim, 12% lighter, 20% stronger, 300% better corrosion. If we have the exact same dims of Mil Spec, then the % listed above are realistic, now we can shave the geometry and make it lighter, and the same strength as 7075T6, or like the approach I took, I opted to add mass, and keep a similar weight as 7075 Mil Spec forgings, but now have made it significantly stronger. Looking at AlLi and comparing mass vs size vs strength, it is 7% shy of what Ti is. AlLi is what is being used to replace some Ti components in areo space, space exp, and some F1. Down side...$$$$. Typically about 400% more in raw material costs.

Hope this helps...

Oh yea... I usually don't deal direct, I respect my dealers, and frankly it's just easier. I have pushed out a small run of MOD-2's, and stopped production on MOD-1's till I get handguards. More availability will return to both M-1&M2's mid summer. Please call the shop anytime during the week if you have questions. My website (www.hodgedefense.com) has a list of dealers.

I know I am forgetting a ton of stuff...but hey it's a forum.

Cheers,
Jim Hodge

adam_s

Hi Jim-thanks again for sharing all the info!

If I may ask the dumb question-why go with 9310 for the bolt, versus Carpenter 158? I've seen folks saying that 9310 is potentially inferior to C158, and others saying that it's good to go. Is this one of those many cases of the answer being, "It depends"?