Hodge Defense Systems.

BooneGA

Staff member
WARLORD
I was able to get my hands on a 12.5" mod 2 upper, but now that I've got it I think I'd rather have a 14.5" or 16". I haven't shot it yet, though, as I haven't finished building my pistol lower. Anyone shot 12.5 and compared it to a 14.5?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I have both. I prefer the 12.5 as I run suppressed for 99% of the time. The 12.5 w/ a Surefire RC2 is nearly identical in length to the 14.5. If I had to pick one it would be the 12.5 as it is still significantly shorter and handier with or without the can. I'm not shooting any extended ranges (past 400m) with either rifle so the added velocity isn't required.

That does change if you are discussing a pinned and welded 14.5 w/ an actual stock, as even with the SBA-3 I don't like pistol set ups as much as a real rifle stock.

Rick

WildMoosen

I plan on running either one as a suppressed pistol and I actually have a 14.5" Hodge barrel in my parts bin that will hopefully find a way into an upper soon.

I'll be using a Crux Saxon as the suppressor, and that is 7.5" long (I think it adds 5 inches).

sbratton1

I was able to get my hands on a 12.5" mod 2 upper, but now that I've got it I think I'd rather have a 14.5" or 16". I haven't shot it yet, though, as I haven't finished building my pistol lower. Anyone shot 12.5 and compared it to a 14.5?

Let me know if you decide to get rid of the 12.5 upper. With that being said I've heard a lot of good things about it.

sbratton1

I have both. I prefer the 12.5 as I run suppressed for 99% of the time. The 12.5 w/ a Surefire RC2 is nearly identical in length to the 14.5. If I had to pick one it would be the 12.5 as it is still significantly shorter and handier with or without the can. I'm not shooting any extended ranges (past 400m) with either rifle so the added velocity isn't required.

That does change if you are discussing a pinned and welded 14.5 w/ an actual stock, as even with the SBA-3 I don't like pistol set ups as much as a real rifle stock.

Rick
Would you mind posting some pics of both, how you have them setup?

Slim

Jerk Ingredients Off
Staff member

Rick
Would you mind posting some pics of both, how you have them setup?
I would check the show off thread. Its lengthy but tons of setup pics for ideas to play around with. Then discussions on setup as well as modcasts and fb for reasons and more ideas.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

sbratton1

I would check the show off thread. Its lengthy but tons of setup pics for ideas to play around with. Then discussions on setup as well as modcasts and fb for reasons and more ideas.

Very new to P&S Forum so forgive for this question but what is the "show off thread"? Couldn't find it in the search box.

Dpvaz56

If you don’t want your 12.5” upper I will gladly trade you my 14.5” BCM LW build for it haha

sbratton1

Anyone know when more Hodge Rifles will be available or anyone that has one? I'm hearing upper and lowers will be available early Nov. but haven't heard on any full built rifles.

Mikey Strauss

United States Postal Service Wat Cop
"The rifles, when available from ODS ship the upper and lower separately. You are free to turn any of them into a pistol.

Rick"

BooneGA/Rick-

My understanding of 556/223 pistols is it has to be a pistol when it is built by the manufacture, not a carbine/rifle that I turn into a pistol later. If I'm wrong on that please school me as I've got a few things I would change in my current inventory.

Thanks,
Mike

WildMoosen

My understanding of 556/223 pistols is it has to be a pistol when it is built by the manufacture, not a carbine/rifle that I turn into a pistol later.

That is my understanding, too. ODS sells stripped lowers that *should* be transferred as "other" and therefore could be made into a pistol. That's actually what I will do if I can get one.

BooneGA

Staff member
WARLORD
"The rifles, when available from ODS ship the upper and lower separately. You are free to turn any of them into a pistol.

Rick"

BooneGA/Rick-

My understanding of 556/223 pistols is it has to be a pistol when it is built by the manufacture, not a carbine/rifle that I turn into a pistol later. If I'm wrong on that please school me as I've got a few things I would change in my current inventory.

Thanks,
Mike

That is partially correct. Stripped receivers that are not assembled into any configuration by the manufacture should be transferred as an "Other Firearm" as defined in Section B, Question 16 of the ATF Form 4473. There is no need for the manufacturer to make it a pistol before you do.

"Type of Firearm(s): Check all boxes that apply. “Other” refers to frames, receivers and other firearms that are not either handguns or long guns (rifles or shotguns), such as firearms having a pistol grip that expel a shotgun shell, or National Firearms Act (NFA) firearms.

If a frame or receiver can only be made into a long gun (rifle or shotgun), it is still a frame or receiver not a handgun or long gun. However, they still are “firearms” by definition, and subject to the same GCA limitations as any other firearms. See Section 921(a)(3)(b). 18 U.S.C. Section 922(b)(1) makes it unlawful for a licensee to sell any firearm other than shotgun or rifle to any person under the age of 21. Since a frame or receiver for a firearm, to include one that can only be made into a long gun, is a “firearm other than a shotgun or rifle,” it cannot be transferred to anyone under the age of 21. Also, note that multiple sales forms are not required for frames or receivers of any firearms, or pistol grip shotguns, since they are not “pistols or revolvers” under Section 923(g)(3)(a)."

An AR lower can be assembled into any configuration (rifle, shotgun, pistol, NFA) once transferred to you as an "other" firearm.

**Disclaimer** I am not an NFA lawyer. This is just the way that every stripped lower I have purchased has been transferred to me. Do not rely on the anything I've stated for legal purposes.

Rick

Abuchanan

Amateur
idk how ODS does it, but they are transferred as "receivers" therefore up to the transferee to determine what to do with it

edit: yup, what Boone said

pointblank4445

Established
OK, can we talk WedgeLock rails/parts here for a minute...

I know Hodge's rails are to his specs. Does anyone know if that includes changes to the barrel nut?

The reason I asked is because I picked up a spare barrel nut from Zev and it's heavier than the one that came with my Hodge rail. I'm talkin' 2.0 ounces vs. 3.6 ounces.

So is this a Hodge thing or is this a Zev making changes thing (like now making their rails out of 6061 instead of 7076 for their own rail line)?

Slim

Jerk Ingredients Off
Staff member
Jim's barrel nut is titanium. He talks about it in the OP, maybe a little futher in the comments.
OK, can we talk WedgeLock rails/parts here for a minute...

I know Hodge's rails are to his specs. Does anyone know if that includes changes to the barrel nut?

The reason I asked is because I picked up a spare barrel nut from Zev and it's heavier than the one that came with my Hodge rail. I'm talkin' 2.0 ounces vs. 3.6 ounces.

So is this a Hodge thing or is this a Zev making changes thing (like now making their rails out of 6061 instead of 7076 for their own rail line)?

pointblank4445

Established
Jim's barrel nut is titanium. He talks about it in the OP, maybe a little futher in the comments.

I'm fully aware of that...
If you go to Zev's website, they advertise the barrel nut as titanium as well
They are BOTH titanium, but I wish to know why are different.

Again, is this because Jim's is special or because Zev is messing with the recipe?

Tracking?

Slim

Jerk Ingredients Off
Staff member
Ohh. I assumed the Zev would be 7075 or the like. Someone will chime in that knows specifics then.

I'm fully aware of that...
If you go to Zev's website, they advertise the barrel nut as titanium as well
They are BOTH titanium, but I wish to know why are different.

Tracking?

pointblank4445

Established
And in case anybody asks,
The Zev nut will attract a magnet...very slightly, but it does.
The Hodge nut won't...at least I can't perceive it with the same magnet that attracts to the Zev nut.

According to the internets, this does not rule out the whether the Zev is/isn't Titanium...just more to support that they aren't the same.