Hit Factor Carbine Technique

Arioch

Amateur
Brief background: I do competition, I mainly shoot USPSA and 2 Gun, never been MIL/LEO.

So I was training with some friends today on carbines with movement and we were rather surprised by some of our data: shots we would be making all alphas with the occasional close charlie with pistol we were dropping deltas and mikes. We had some discussions and ran some experiments and we came to the conclusion that using our current technique (basically just adapting Stoeger to carbines) we can really only shoot targets on the move (with good enough hits to make the time savings worth it) for open targets at about 8 yards.

8 yards and carbines in the same sentence makes me sad. Anyone have advice for technique about how to shoot on the move, at speed, while maintaining acceptable accuracy standards? I think the envelope can be pushed a lot further and would love to learn more and find out.

Camb453

For me it comes down to a few things: really driving the stock into the shoulder with the support hand grip. That minimizes any muzzle movement outside of the act of walking. Also, a lot of it comes to seeing and processing quickly. You need to learn to see when the dot is resting on an acceptable hit zone and break the trigger when that happens. To me it comes down to what Matt Pranka and Ben refer to as Predictive Shooting. Predicting when the sights are acceptable and breaking the trigger to it. Apart from that you will need to adapt to how your body moves individually. We are all built different and move differently and you need to feel that out. I hope that helps.