Hip pain from running...ideas? | Primary & Secondary

Hip pain from running...ideas?

Discussion in 'Fitness General' started by Dave_Thomas, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Dave_Thomas

Dave_Thomas Newbie

Recently started running as an addition to an existing weight routine. Ran long distance in high school, admittedly, that was 15 years ago. Anyway, I'm good for about a mile to a mile and half, and then I'm toast, which is fine, I won't get it back overnight.

That's not the problem. Afterwards, even thought I stretch, I get a sharp stinging pain in my left hip, at the femoral head, more lateral than proximal. Before I go through the motions of going to the doc, getting a referral, and pissing away countless amounts of money, I thought I might see if anyone else had had a similar issue.

Full disclosure, I was in a motorcycle accident a bit over 4 years ago where I broadsided a kid who pulled out in front of me, I went over the bars of my bike. This issue could stem from that, but I would think it would have evidenced prior to now.

2. Playmaker55

Playmaker55 Newbie

Try getting a foam roller, perhaps that could help, and make sure you are doing some kind of warmup. You might check out mobility wod and see if any of the excercises there help.

3. jevanb1

jevanb1 Newbie

Sounds like it could be the hip flexor to me. It is one of those things that is easily missed while stretching.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/content/flex-those-flexors-3-steps-to-powerful-hips.html

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

4. Dave_Thomas

Dave_Thomas Newbie

Interesting, thanks for the responses. I'll look into them and hopefully report back with good news.

5. Dave_Thomas

Dave_Thomas Newbie

So, update for those interested. It is indeed instability in my hips, most likely a carryover from the motorcycle accident. I've started a routine to strengthen the flexors and surrounding muscle groups, and so far I've begun to see some results. I've also come to the conclusion that I have a distinct dislike for single leg squats.

TXLEO likes this.
  6. cor_man257

cor_man257 Newbie

I had a similar issue when I started running harder last year. I'm 25 with no past medical issues related. I found doing some hip specific stretches helped a lot. After one run I was almost unable to stand, the pain was excruciating. A friend who has been running half marathons and preparing for his first full marathon suggested I take a fish oil pill every morning as well. He claimed that it would help with friction in my joints. I didn't find many people discussing it, but I tried it and it seemed to help for me.

-Cory

7. Dave_Thomas

Dave_Thomas Newbie

Something else I've added to the routine that is taking the edge off without completely killing my cardio attempts is a modified 60/120. I switched to 3 minute/3 minute in a slow jog cycle. It's definitely not a fast pace, but I can get a couple miles in and still be able to walk the next day.