Hill people gear chest pack

Brenton

So Iv been running the Hill People Gear chest pack for about a year now. Originally got it for running and hiking up in the hills, so I could carry my glock, some extra ammo, and medical. And it not be too obvious what I have. Lately Iv been using it as a truck go bag for when the bad shit happens. None of that stupid bug out prepper bullshit. So far if really liked it and it's can fit a lot more than most people use it for.
As of now I keep 4 loads ar mags, glock 27 with extra mag, pair of gloves, baofang radio, tourniquet, chem light, and a glock tool.
Personally I don't see why it can't be used in this fashion "discrete chestrig"

Longeye

Established
I like my HPG Original. It holds my G22 with X300U, Leica LRF, phone, lighter, compass, clippers, etc very well and rides comfortably.

It would not be my first choice for AR mags, but HPG's product uses are limited only by imagination.

jBravo3

I've been using a couple different HPG kit bags for years and I love 'em. I've got lots of HPG stuff, plan on getting more, and recommend their gear a lot. It's high quality, tough gear that works. What initially attracted me to HPG was an online search for a discreet yet practical backcountry carry method, and I landed on the kit bags.

Food for thought...

One thing I've experienced here on the east coast is that, unfortunately, for whatever reason, the bag screams "gun!" I've been called out on the bag/gun on separate occasions while backpacking the AT. Each time it was an issue it was different very antigun hippies with unprovoked antagonistic comments like "whatcha got in your bag there?" and "good thing you have that gun out here" and " what are you afraid of that makes you carry a gun out here?" and so on. Not to mention, it's apparently a dead giveaway to other "gun guys" as well, as it has sparked a couple "whatcha packin'?" convos I'd rather not have.

I have both "ranger green" and "coyote" colors so maybe the colors are a little too .mil or something. I never wear any multicam crap or LE stuff or anything at all like that anywhere besides work, so I really don't think it's me. I've always been able to dissuade any attempt to create a problem from anyone, have just kind of laughed it off or whatever, but having to do that kind of defeats the purpose.

Having said all of that, I have to reemphasize how much I love the kit bags and I still wear them hiking in actual wilderness areas, while hunting, fishing, etc, but I try and avoid wearing them in more heavily travelled areas. I know HPG has offered some different colorations (gray robic, etc.) over the years, and maybe that's the solution. Or maybe I should use a good old fashioned fanny pack for some occassions...but I'd rather not though.

Longeye

Established
Have you tried sewing a false flag patch on? Something comforting that hippies can relate to like TNF or Patagonia?

This might be a time to come up with a good, subtle "Green Piece" logo spoof patch...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

jBravo3

I had thought of that...saw an old Paul Gomez video where he was talking about it... 'course I don't reek of weed, weigh 120lbs, or...never mind - I'm stereotyping. Ha. Sometimes, when in Rome, its hard to act like a Roman.

photo-2_kindlephoto-20893476.jpg

photo-9.JPG

SoTex

Amateur
I have a HPG HRKB from the very first production run of that model. I bought it with a mind to run it mainly when hiking and occasionally when running but, It turned out to be the exact opposite and I wear it weekly running and occasionally piggyback'd to my pack straps out hiking. One of the better gear purchases I have made in my opinion. Mine is ranger green but I have yet to be called out over its contents. One thing that helps I think is to run your phone in it and make sure your earbuds are hanging out of it. I like the idea of grabbing a commercial label to sew on it.

As far as running it as a dedicated chest rig, I didn't like running mine that way. It would work in a pinch, but not ideal in my opinion.

Brenton

I wouldn't run it as a dedicated chest rig but but if shit went down I think it would work very well

Pat Tarrant

Custom testicles
Staff member
The just released an original kit bag V2 tat has 6/12 on the indside. When they start releasing other colors, I'll probably pick on up in exchange for my current heavy recon kit bag.

Having hiked the AT a lot in my youth, I can easily see others calling them out. I usually carry my G17 or G19, a spare mag, phone, keys, mp3 player if I'm running, maybe a compass if I'm out of the neighborhood (should add a folded map if plausible).

The Recon /HR bags work great with a triple 10-Speed on the front.

NCBeagle

I use the HPG V3 Search and Rescue Bag (red) to carry a Glock 19, 29, or 40 (yup, it fits), extra mag, small GPS, iPhone, gloves, and Phoenix PD35TAC or streamlight and have done so for hundreds and hundreds of hiking miles in western hills or eastern swamps of NC and the Sandhills just south of Camp Mackall. . Love it.

This bag solved a huge problem for me. I am a reptile nerd. A "herper" if you know the term. I spend hours and hours sloggng through swamps, flipping debris and rocks, etc. A lot of bending forward. A traditional pack falls forward / upward uncomfortably. A chest pack does not and keeps everything I need right up front. It's like appendix carry for gloves, lights, phone, etc. It is also more water resistant than you might think. Been submerged briefly but completely several times and contents stayed mostly dry.

HPG makes good stuff.

Whiskey

Amateur
I use my Heavy Recon bag for everything from rucking to hunting. G17/TLR1 and a spare 30 rounder in the gun pocket. Usually have a compass, multitool, my phone and other odds and ends up front. Ive thought about adding a 10 speed mag pouch for the front to be able to add AR mags, but really if I want AR mags I should be able to grab my dedicated chest rig instead.

Bill Assande

Amateur
Really happy with both my HPG Original Kit Bag V2 and waistpack. I've found that even my Sheild 2.0 is a tight fit in the waist pack with Hyve mag extentions but I use it as a medkit for work where I can't carry so not a big deal. Also a good reason to look for a snubby revolver.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

LukeNCMX

I use the runner’s kit bag. Awesome piece of gear. holds a phone, wallet, keys, full size pistol/x300 nicely. Comes in urban friendly colors. The setup is comfortable and secure enough to do long runs, sprints, pushups, burpees no problem. Highly recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MOT

I carry the HPG kit bag while hunting mainly. I treat it like a purse so it’s list of contents is rather extensive. I’ve modified it a bit. HPG is legit.

Attachments

• 47BD2758-1C86-44D1-B31D-B9863B79A063.jpeg
    47BD2758-1C86-44D1-B31D-B9863B79A063.jpeg
    622.1 KB · Views: 19

Evan A Hill

Vendor
Your wish and all...

Thanks for the support guys. I always figured there would come a time when KBs would be "made". The fact that a fashion house ripped us off and they were literally on runways in Milan gave us some top cover for a while. We are starting to do more KBs more regularly in our blue color. When people ask me what's in the bag I open the main compartment and pull out my binoculars or camera.

Simms65

Shenanigans!
Staff member
Administrator
Your wish and all...

Thanks for the support guys. I always figured there would come a time when KBs would be "made". The fact that a fashion house ripped us off and they were literally on runways in Milan gave us some top cover for a while. We are starting to do more KBs more regularly in our blue color. When people ask me what's in the bag I open the main compartment and pull out my binoculars or camera.

I definitely need a RKB in the blue/black color. I'll slum it with my OD not too touristy looking RKB until then.

Joe _K

Established
Added a BFG Triple M4 shingle to my HPG KB sometime ago, generally just use it as a hand way to store a pocket light, cell phone and my wallet, but in a pinch can be used to run some M4 mags. Puts the weight pretty far off the chest and ends up flopping around when running. (Found that out running it this way in a 5K Run and Gun 2 Gun match) Evan, have you all ever considered offering the KB with standar 1” ITW buckles so guys could run other types of shoulder harnesses like the Crye one below?

Attachments

• 20046074-128E-43F1-A685-5A4743E006B8.jpeg
    20046074-128E-43F1-A685-5A4743E006B8.jpeg
    323.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 21F4F46E-5B62-4C20-8B65-C3BDF23CA34C.png
    21F4F46E-5B62-4C20-8B65-C3BDF23CA34C.png
    110.5 KB · Views: 22